Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I just purchased an X213 and expect to take delivery sometime in the next week. I will be towing with my 05' Pathfinder. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm planning to upsize my TV eventually. I have kids too.. also both in carseats. We bought a 14' Honda Odyssey before deciding to buy a trailer... the cart before the horse. Wish we would have bought a large TV instead. I hate the thought of having three vehicle payments at once. Hindsight is always 20-20...
We are jumping on the Pathfinder X213 bandwagon as well. We have a 2015 on order scheduled to be built on June 17 to be pulled with our 2012 Pathfinder.

I think the engine on the Pathfinder is a gem. I pull my 3000lb Popup and 2500lb Cargo trailer without even knowing its there. I rented a U-Haul trailer to tow my daughter's car 500 miles after it broke down up and down mountains and could hardly tell it was back there. I know a full size trailer is another animal with lots of wind resistance. And the short wheelbase Pathfinder isn't the best tow vehicle to pull a long trailer. So I've purchased a Hensley Cub hitch to deal with the sway issues, and a Bully Dog GT to monitor all the trucks vitals including transmission temperature.

John
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
Not trying to argue but yes some of the smaller motors are doing a lot better these days. The only point I am making is with as much as I pull my camper I do not want a small displacement motor. If you were pulling once in a while I would say you will be okay. We have been pulling three weekends a month. I think that would work a small displacement motor to death. All of our trips except for two have been to the mountains.
Nope, I'm not trying to argue either, just show a differant point of view. Sounds to me you have the best set up for you. Someone who tows alot should have something that can handle the job with ease. Somewhere I thought I read that the op was only planning on going a few outings a year, so thats why I don't feel they will suffer with what they have for a while.
No hard feelings! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I just purchased an X213 and expect to take delivery sometime in the next week. I will be towing with my 05' Pathfinder. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm planning to upsize my TV eventually. I have kids too.. also both in carseats. We bought a 14' Honda Odyssey before deciding to buy a trailer... the cart before the horse. Wish we would have bought a large TV instead. I hate the thought of having three vehicle payments at once. Hindsight is always 20-20...
Congrats on the new TT. Hope you and your family enjoy it. I know your situation. We stated off towing the popup with our quest mini van and were looking for ultralights that it could tow. When I bought the pathfinder last summer I thought, No problem. Only problem was now I wasn't looking at 3500# campers anymore. When you look at all the extra space and features on the larger campers it's hard to resist. I probably would have considered bolting a reese hitch to the roof rack if they would have cut me a deal on a fifth wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
If you decide not to go forward with 26BH, why not go back to the X213.
Two issues, Time and Money. The 26BH is on the lot ready to go. If I get the x213 I'll have to wait 8 weeks for delivery from the factory, essentially missing the whole summer of camping with my kids. If that's the case I should just wait until the RV shows start up again in February. And then there's $$$, qouted price on the x213 was almost 10K higher than the 26BH. When you compare the floorplans, we like the 26 better. Seems like quite a premium to pay for something you like less.
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #44

Get what you want to start with or you will be buying again within a year. Believe me I've done it twice.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #45

With the amount you said you're going to tow, I'd hook it up to the Pathfinder and roll out. I definitely wouldn't spend $10k more for a smaller trailer. For that money, you could get a dedicated tow vehicle (used) and put cash in your pocket.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #46

After much back and forth, we decided the pathfinder was just too close on the numbers. Since I love my PF and didn't want to part ways, my DW decided to say goodbye to her quest and Picked up a used Armada. We both feel more comfortable with the big v8 and the 9100# towing capacity, giving us the option to load up the TT and not worry. I know you truck guys out there will still bring up wheelbase and coil suspension, but there was no way she was gonna drive a truck so that was out.

Also got some pretty sweet camp chairs for Father's Day, so not a bad weekend. Three days till we pick up the TT.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #47

Congrats on the new TV and camp chairs.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #48

Wise choice
Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #49

Smart move. Something that isn't often brought up when these threads get rolling on this particular topic is your insurance coverage. If you tow past the posted limits of your TV and get into an accident it is quite likely your insurance company may not cover you.
Webeskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
After much back and forth, we decided the pathfinder was just too close on the numbers. Since I love my PF and didn't want to part ways, my DW decided to say goodbye to her quest and Picked up a used Armada. We both feel more comfortable with the big v8 and the 9100# towing capacity, giving us the option to load up the TT and not worry. I know you truck guys out there will still bring up wheelbase and coil suspension, but there was no way she was gonna drive a truck so that was out.

Also got some pretty sweet camp chairs for Father's Day, so not a bad weekend. Three days till we pick up the TT.
IMHO, you'll be happier with that decision in the long run. It'll be nice not to worry so much and just get out there and enjoy yourself.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #51

Agreed with everyone else. Good decision on the Armada.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #52

And now you have a back up just incase something were to happen to the new TV. Congrats on the new purchase!!

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #53

Quote:
Congratulations! You're going to love it!

Nope, I would not bring any of that up. If there is a difference with coil springs, its so minimal you'd never notice. And the shorter WB is negated a bit the short distance between your axle and hitch ball.

BTW, you did buy a truck. It just has a wagon body on it. Why is she against a PU? We have a crew cab and my wife loves it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Why is she against a PU? We have a crew cab and my wife loves it.
We wanted the third row of seating. My youngest just turned 1 so on long car trips she likes to sit in the middle row next to the baby in case he gets fussy. This way the two older kids sit in the back and I pilot the ship.

I sat in the middle captains chairs while my wife took it out for the test drive. I can confidently say there is not a single truck out there with the comfort and roominess of those seats.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #55

Good advice

Just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice shared. Towed my new 26BH home tonight without a problem. I will say that the TT makes the armada seem small-I doubt the Pathfinder would have performed well. The trip home was about 15 miles on flat grade. Based on that brief experience, I wouldn't ever consider using the pathfinder as a TV for this particular trailer, except a very short distance unloaded. Thanks again to all, and happy camping.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #56

We had looked at the 26BH last year, but passed on it because at that time we owned a Tacoma 4.0L.... and thought we would be right at the limit or beyond. Instead we settled on a Swift SLX 184BH (a bit tight for a family of 4), which is nice but wished we had gotten the 26BH.... as we now have a F150 5.0L V8. So now we're at the other extreme, a lot more TV than TT.... oh well. A larger TT is in our future....
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice shared. Towed my new 26BH home tonight without a problem. I will say that the TT makes the armada seem small-I doubt the Pathfinder would have performed well. The trip home was about 15 miles on flat grade. Based on that brief experience, I wouldn't ever consider using the pathfinder as a TV for this particular trailer, except a very short distance unloaded. Thanks again to all, and happy camping.

Glad your decision was validated and that you're happy with it! Now all that's left is to get out there and enjoy your new toys!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #58

Good decision with the Armada. Wait until you load up the TT with all the stuff and some water. You'll definitely be GLAD you got a new TV!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26bh, gvwr, mid size suv, wd hitch