Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Towing Trial V6 4Runner and 165 Sport 3500 GVWR

Ok,
So I got my 165 Sport out yesterday and wanted to do a more thorough towing test today.
TV = V6 4Runner 4.0 L engine, rated at 5,000 lbs towing
TT = 165 Sport GVRW = 3500 lbs
Hitch = Equalizer E-2, WDH 800 lbs bars

The 165 Sport seems to be a little light for a WDH. However, on the lowest setting I am able to bring the front fender measurements back to 100% of estimated axel load. Unhitched measurement is 35.25", hitched is 35.25". I think once I am fully loaded out the front will move towards being .5" higher then unhitched. I don't want to put too much weight back to the front axel.
I will be taking the rig to a CAT scale prior to our trip.

The front of the TT frame measures 13.5" to ground, rear measures 14.25" to ground

I wanted to do some highway driving today and test handling and power. I drove 75 miles total with some pretty good mixture of long hills and normal terrain. A decent amount of truck traffic. Winds were probably 5-10 mph.

Results:
1. Could I feel the cross winds in wide open valleys? Yes, but light.
2. Big cement trucks and big rigs heavily loaded going 10-15mph faster than me was the biggest impact. I could feel them trying to suck my rig towards them and I needed to correct. Didn't seem unsafe, but you have to be prepared for them or it could startle you.
3. Big rigs going slightly faster and 5th wheels didn't impact me.
4. Having enough power seemed acceptable. If I got slowed down by oncoming ramp traffic at the bottom of a significant hill, I was able to regain speeds of 55-60mph. Never seen the temperature on engine rise at all entire trip.
5. I never experienced any indications of trailer sway.
6. My mpg was 13-14
7. In town driving was a breeze. TT and TV can turn in a very small radius.

In Summary:
Is this the best tow vehicle? No
Do I think I can make it to California and back? Yes, there will be times that high winds could make driving a little nerve racking.
I don't know what to expect on the open plains or the canyons coming back through the Rockies.
It's been awhile since I've towed a TT, but as I recall high winds and big rig trucks will push you around a little.

I am not in a position to trade tow vehicles at the moment. I'd have to cancel our trip and trade vehicles over the next year.

My current position is that I think I am safe. Our trip is made up of 4-5 hrs of driving then 4-5 days camping. So, if I have a windy day, I should be able to make it 4-5 hours before stopping.

My BIL has a full size Ford 150 with a V8. I may borrow it tomorrow to pull the TT with it on the same route and see what the difference is. If it's dramatic, then maybe we will have to postpone our trip and get a different TV.

Based on my comments and anyone that has traveled through the plains and the Rockies, what are your opinions?

Note again that our longest drive period is 5hrs at any given leg of the trip.

Comments most welcomed.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

I can't wait to hear the report on the 150. You probably won't even know it's there.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

Towing Trial V6 4Runner and 165 Sport 3500 GVWR

I pull our 228 with a 2012 4-runner and it does very well. The short wheel base is not ideal but I have never felt unsafe or not been able to keep up with the traffic.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
I pull our 228 with a 2012 4-runner and it does very well. The short wheel base is not ideal but I have never felt unsafe or not been able to keep up with the traffic.
Jayco228,
That's kind of where I came out today in these conditions. Certainly not ideal, but not unsafe or scary.
I am just wondering if 25-30mph winds is typical in the plains and canyons.
If so, will it still be safe but just a little pushy until you get through it.
I run 55mph all the time, so that should help some. I didn't feel any difference between 55-60mph.
I also wonder as we load out a little more weight if that will also help?

I set up with my BIL to test the F-150 tomorrow. I'll see how different it is.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Doug, most Interstate systems will warn you of potential hazards like crosswinds, smoke, fog etc. They are especially diligent out west. Judging from reading the many posts that you have submitted on this forum since I've joined, you will be more than prepared. Take your time, go slow when needed and enjoy your trip. The Western United States is unparalleled in it's beauty.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks TC,
We feel like we'll be ok. We can always turn around if it just doesn't feel like we can make it comfortably.
I won't be able to test the F-150 today, a little under the weather here.
I'll test it probably Wednesday.
I'd still like to get the feel for the difference with a larger wheelbase.
If it's a lot better, I can take a little more time and trade my Tacoma.
We plan on a 2nd trip out West to see Yellowstone and want to travel to Banff NP in Canada.

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Shouldnt the WDH be initially set up with the TV and TT loaded up as if you were going on a trip and then set your hitch angle and links? I just got back from a trip using our WDH for the first time and almost felt like the rear end of the TV was a bit light while driving although the rear of my Envoy settled about 1'' after its all hitched up. might have to drop a link. Not sure if you have one but a sway bar helps a good bit on those open roads and when its pretty windy out you can snug it up a bit more. I think your 4Runner should be OK for your trip. I may have missed it but do you have a tranny cooler on the TV?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yep xjay,
Final set-up needs to be done once fully loaded.
I got it as close as I could unloaded.
I expect nothing to change, just hope the front end of the TV raises about 1/4 - 1/2" and I think that will be good.
I have the Equalizer E2 which has the anti-sway built in.
I am at the lowest setting on the bars, so I am glad my front didn't go below unloaded height.
The ball angle should be just about right as the TT is setting only 3/4" low in the front. With the low discharge of the sewage line,
I'll take the 3/4" added clearance. Also, looks like I need the tongue weight as I am currently at 100% return on the front end of the TV.

I plan on a final set up and weigh at the CAT scales before starting the long adventure.
That should let me know I have confidence in my set-up.

If I get time, I am going to run a test this week with my BIL's F-150 V8.
That may lead me to trade up for a full size truck before our next trip out West.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #9

I think you're set up ok, of course the f150 is going to tow better, but it's not like you're are running overloaded, or right to the very limit without any safety margin.

When you get to the rockies, you may find that you're traveling slower going up the hills, who knows, maybe not.

At least you have the right frame of mind. Your TT-GVRW is much less than your TV max tow capacity.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I think you're set up ok, of course the f150 is going to tow better, but it's not like you're are running overloaded, or right to the very limit without any safety margin.

When you get to the rockies, you may find that you're traveling slower going up the hills, who knows, maybe not.

At least you have the right frame of mind. Your TT-GVRW is much less than your TV max tow capacity.
Thanks for making that point flyrotor,
Sometimes I forget that I did make a conscious decision going into my TT purchase of not going over 3500GWVR with my TV rating of 5,000.
That gives me a decent ratio versus pushing the limits.

I really like the 4Runner as a vehicle to site see in.

I'll be interested in the F-150 test feel.

Overall, I think I am safe going to California. If at anytime I feel otherwise, I can cancel reservations and come home.

That's again for all the input.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #11

I know exactly what you are going through with your TV/TT towing test. We have a 2006 4-Runner v6 Limited with a upgraded Draw-Tite hitch, and trans-cooler
added, pulling a 2011 Jacyco X18D. All of trips have been over relatively flat terrain with just a few hills along the way. Never had any problems with sway or control
during interstate travel. With cargo for two young boys and the wife its a challenge to keep the total weight safe, and that is what it all about, staying safe.
We are currently thinking about upgrading to a 2008-2010 Toyota Sequoia for towing but the wife loves her 4-runner

KirkClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	7165
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yes,
I'd love a V8 Sequoia, but not in the cards right now.
I've been busy with house hunting with my son and probably won't get around to testing the F-150.
It's safe, steady and slow :-)

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS