Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #61

TripZ...You are gonna hate life towing with the 4.6L V8. I have the Tundra with 5.7L V8 and tow a 26BH and would not want any less power. I load heavy though. I suppose you can set it up and try it out. The Tundra will handle the weight fine so you can upgrade TV after a few tows if you need it.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #62

TripZTrip
You are going to be fine, I have a trailer of the same weight, mine is 33'long, towed it from Nj to Key West and back, the 4.6 is smaller but has a different transmission, they changed the transmission in2014 model for the same one as 5.7 has, which reduced its towing capacity, , it stays at 2200rpm on flat, goes to 2700rpm on inclines and revs up to 3700rpm on steep hills, it is all about how fast you go, I try to keep it between 60-70mph, getting 10mpg towing and 15 empty, it has 4.1 rear and towing package, I don't shift manually , leave it in tow/haul mode, as all Tundras regardless of engine size, you be overloaded on your ccc, unless you drive regular cab by yourself , my crew cab is only 1300lb, it is what it is, had 2002 silverado HD 6.0 gas, 2000 ford 7.3 diesel, tundra is far the most reliable of them, I always buy brand new and keep them for a while , not putting any brand down, they all great trucks , just my personal experience
Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #63

Geeze I wish I had found this sooner. I just ordered a 23MB to tow with my '12 Tacoma rated at 6500 and tongue weight of 650. The dealer kept trying to push me into a bigger and heavier trailer.
Sounds like I maybe up that one creek...
Any advice on what to do aside from tow dry with as minimal gear as possible?

Theres no facepalm icon on here :/
FFJamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFJamison View Post

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Geeze I wish I had found this sooner. I just ordered a 23MB to tow with my '12 Tacoma rated at 6500 and tongue weight of 650. The dealer kept trying to push me into a bigger and heavier trailer.
Sounds like I maybe up that one creek...
Any advice on what to do aside from tow dry with as minimal gear as possible?

You might still be okay. Most people don't load up to GVWR. If you add 1000 lbs to unloaded weight of your 23MB (arguably a light packer, but certainly doable) then your tongue weight at 15% (the max it should be) would be 780 lbs. You may still be heavy, but it might not be disastrous.

Take the Taco to a CAT scale with full fuel and the fam all loaded and weigh it. Compare that number with the sticker on your door pillar and do some math to see what you have left for tongue weight. If you're over GVWR on the truck, you at least shouldn't exceed the rear axle's GAWR. If you're close to max or a little over, you probably won't have as much fun, but it could still be done. If you're over some or a lot, it gets to be unsafe and you should reconsider your setup.

From what I've heard and seen the Tacoma has soft rear suspension anyway, so you may be into something like air bags or Timbrens or Roadmaster Active Suspension to help manage the max load.

BTW, most dealer sales staff will tell you "your VW bug will tow any trailer on their lot all day long, no problem." Do the math yourself, don't let anyone else tell you it's okay, including people on this forum.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #66

Ive got 2" long progressive add a leafs and air bags on the rear. Also had them set me up with the reese straitline hitch. Already have P3 brake controller set up inside along with scan gauge 2 to monitor trans, tqc & water temps. I know trans has to stay under 250.
I know my gas mileage is gonna suck but I hadnt planned on setting any speed or time records also plan on a chase vehicle if its anyone more than wife kid and I.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Ive got 2" long progressive add a leafs and air bags on the rear. Also had them set me up with the reese straitline hitch. Already have P3 brake controller set up inside along with scan gauge 2 to monitor trans, tqc & water temps. I know trans has to stay under 250.
I know my gas mileage is gonna suck but I hadnt planned on setting any speed or time records also plan on a chase vehicle if its anyone more than wife kid and I.
Sounds like you've done all you can do to minimize the weight in the TV and maximize the performance of the truck under max loaded conditions. You probably know this, but those don't increase your GVWR on the truck, htey just allow you to manage the full load better. Keeping it slow and staying out of the hills helps too. I tow mostly on flat terrain under max loaded conditions and do OK most of the time. That being said, a bigger truck is still in my immediate future.

I would still encourage you to weigh the truck and see where you're at. After you have the trailer connected and the WDH adjusted correctly (the original installation is almost always under unloaded conditions, so you'll have to adjust it), you'll want to weigh the rig again using the instructions in the Sticky in the Towing section (3 passes on the CAT scale). Then you'll know exactly where you stand.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #68

I pull my X20E just fine. Somewhat Lighter than what you are pulling I believe. I wouldn't want to go any bigger mind you. RPM is a little up but I've never had any concern when pulling or stopping. If I need more power to get up a hill I just Downshift into 3rd...even 2nd If I need to gain momentum. Doesn't seem to hurt the Taco any...I just don't beat on it. Pulled my trailer over 2300Km last year all around Ontario.

I don't have any airbags, just stock suspension. My ride seems level and not bouncy.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #69

Ya my dry weight is 4700. Which I plan to haul dry with minimal gear. Ie bedding and min clothes since I fish UL that I carry in a backpack it wont be noticed. Will pick up food closest to location as possible.

The Off Road has 4 piston calipers, I plan on upgrading to slotted rotors and ceramic pads when its time for new pads.

'15 Starcraft LAUNCH 19BHS Extreme

'12 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR tow pkg.
w air bags, Reese straitline & Tekonsha P3
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Ya my dry weight is 4700
The advice to visit a Cat Scale is good. I haven't done it myself because there are not many around here and I'm comfortable with my loading but that's not to say it should be ignored. One day if I happen by a Scale I will check in...that said, if it helps you out. I pulled my trailer with two full propane 25Lbs tanks, Battery, full fresh water, HTT packed up so I'm sure I was at or near my 4750lbs loaded no problem. Plus myself (350), wife (130ish) Daughter (100lbs) and Abby the dog (70ish), plus in the bed I had a small BBQ, wood, Bike and some other light gear.

I purposely did this because I don't plan on making this type of loading a habit, I just wanted to see and feel what a full load felt like as I travelled around Ontario, especially the first leg of the trip which was 6 hours to Craigleith Prov Park near Collingwood, Ontario.

Easily comparable to what you are mentioning and I was fine but keep in mind, careful, Left lots of room with Vehicle in front, and applied brakes early to come to a slow stop.

Have you seen the towing thread over at Tacoma World?
Show us what you tow. - Page 141 - Tacoma World Forums

BTW, You may find your stock mirrors don't allow you to see around the trailer. I suggest these ProEfx Mirrors. They are getting ready to do a group buy on them.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...or-gb-2-a.html

I am CdnTaco over there.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #71

TripZTrip, I pulled our 26BH, loaded weight about 5800 lbs, with our 2006 4.7 litre Tundra.

It pulled just fine as far as stability is concerned. It worked hard for its living going up hills.

Our current 5.7 litre Tundra is a beast as far as towing our current TT, which weighs in at about 6800 lbs.

Its payload is close to being maxed out. We have a cap which takes up about 250 lbs of payload.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote