Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Towing White Hawk 31DSLB - Coupler Height

I've had my White Hawk 31DSLB for a few months now and getting my Equalizer set-up is more challenging than the last two Jaycos I had (23b and 26bh). My trailer is stored about 45 minutes from the house and I was wondering if anyone else knows the coupler height of the WH 31DLSB? I might be crazy, but it seems like the White Hawk sits higher off the ground than my other two Jaycos, which might make a higher shank needed for my Equalizer. If so, I need to figure out how much shank I need. Tempted to just order the big one and figure it all out when it gets here...

Anyone else running into this problem towing the new White Hawks using the Equalizers? If so, what size shank are you guys using?

Thanks!
-Bryan

Camping with my wife and 4 kiddos
Dallas, TX
brrit2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

I just talked to Jayco about this myself. That is indeed a tall trailer. The measurement to the center of the ball is 29 inches for the 2013 model. Not sure if you can flip the shank over but I would think you would be pretty close with an excursion.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Bryan, I had the same situation, only in reverse - low trailer, high truck. Equalizer's site has a very detailed description of their shanks, which should really help you decide. They can be turned over to compensate for drop and rise. I would also check the length. A longer (18" ) shank was a better option for me. They are expensive, and the shipping weights are high. So, I'd measure as accurately as I could and get it right the first time. Also, Equalizer's phone rep was very helpful. I can see you in my crystal ball going down the highway level with the weight properly distributed.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

I'm off to find the shank tomorrow. Going to get my dealer to help with measurements and all. They have a few shanks in stock and hoping that one of them will work. I'm thinking I need the 13 inch rise shank from Equalizer, but would like my dealer to confirm it. It is hard for me to believe that having that high of a rise on a shank is safe for towing.

Camping with my wife and 4 kiddos
Dallas, TX
brrit2000 is offline   Reply With Quote