Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Towing with 2012 Tahoe LTZ 4x4

Hail totaled our 2011 Jayco 26BH last summer, then oldest daughter decided to go to nursing school so good old Dad got rid of his 2011 Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 6 liter, (gosh I miss that truck) to help her through school. Daughter quits school, Dad out tuition and his truck.

My wife on the other hand faired pretty well with the whole ordeal. Traded her new Camry in on a 2012 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (she loves it). That all being said, we are now expecting our first grandchild and looking for a replacement camper. Common sense says we should find something our Tahoe will pull comfortably with 3 adults, 2 Golden Retrievers, and a carseat with cargo in it. I on the other hand drove a 2015 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 6 liter long bed the other day, fell in love with it. Before I go and drop $45K on a new truck (wife will be keeping her Tahoe) is there anyone out there towing with a similar Tahoe and what are your experiences/thoughts with your rig and camper?

I loved how my HD towed with ease and confidence and know I will not have that same level with the Tahoe. Thanks in advance and looking forward to the experiences of bringing my grandchild camping!
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

We love our 2010 4x4 LTZ Tahoe also, we have the tow package with the extra trans cooler for the max tow of 8200lbs. We dont tow a camper with it but it tows our 6000lb boat with no problem and stays nice and level with the air ride shocks. I would see no problem towing a medium size camper with it. But if you dont have the tow package your going to be limited with a max tow of 5200 0r 5700lbs, then you will be limited to a smaller camper. Or get the 3500 and tow what ever you want.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

I have a 2008 Tahoe LT I had a 26 bh and traded it off for a 28dsbh white hawk and it pulls just fine 9 mpg @ 65 mph 2 boys and a dog.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #4

I love my Tahoe for towing our 242. Granted it is a bit older than your wifes', it still handles great while towing. In fact, I used our Superduty one time a couple years ago and swear I will never tow with a pick up again. Now some of it may have been my fault because I didn't use my torsion bars that trip, but I was all over the highway with that set up. I also miss my old Yukon which had the 4.8L. That just seemed to have a little better take off than my 5.3L. I think the thing I like the most about the Tahoe is the short wheel base, which in turn allows a shorter turning radius and seems to make it a whole lot easier getting into some of those tight campsites.
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote