Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

Towing with a 2004 Grey Hawk

Hey folks, a question on towing a Susuki Samurai manual shift behind my GH. Is it best to leave the steering in the lock mode or not? I have a Blue Ox tow hitch if that makes a differents. I would think to keep it locked.Thank you
Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Unlocked is how you want to set it up. If you keep it locked the front wheels will drag around corners and you will destroy them. The Suzuki will not track behind the Grey Hawk correctly and you will feel it when towing. When the key is turned to unlock the wheels make sure if it is in the accessory mode that your radio is turned off so as to not drain the battery of the Suzuki. I have read in the past that some people will pull the accessory fuse when towing so the battery isn't drained. I hope this helps. P.S. don't forget to take the Suzuki out of gear when towing

tedshelleykacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshelleykacie View Post
Unlocked is how you want to set it up. If you keep it locked the front wheels will drag around corners and you will destroy them. The Suzuki will not track behind the Grey Hawk correctly and you will feel it when towing. When the key is turned to unlock the wheels make sure if it is in the accessory mode that your radio is turned off so as to not drain the battery of the Suzuki. I have read in the past that some people will pull the accessory fuse when towing so the battery isn't drained. I hope this helps. P.S. don't forget to take the Suzuki out of gear when towing
X2!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshelleykacie View Post
Thank you, and yes It did help, but are you saying that the Samurai which is an 87 is not a good tow vehicle? I hope it is cause it's all I got. Thanks for you replies...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

The best thing to do is to check with your Dealer. Even with an "87" they should be able to help you. I also checked the current "Guide to Dinghy Towing" and the Samurai is not listed in it. Could be any reason for that. Good Luck..
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Okay will do, thank you Chuck...