Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
I have the Dodge Cummins with 6 spd manual transmission and I absolutely love it. When I was looking from my truck, the Cummins diesel, manual transmission, and an 8 foot bed were my only "must haves" to seal the deal.

My friend has a very similar truck to mine with the automatic and manual gear select option, but it is not the same as the all out manual. The electronic manual gear select actually only locks out the higher gears than that which is selected. (i.e. if you have 4th gear selected, it will automatically operate between 1st to 4th gear as normal, but will not go any higher)

It's too bad you can't find one locally.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
If the issue is about towing heavy loads there is not any argument that the auto is better. The torque converter (read torque multiplier) allows the engine to operate at a torque/RPM output differing from the gear ratio. This allows much more power to be applied to moving a stationary load. The manual transmission clutch must be slipped to allow enough rpm to get to a power level to move the load. There is also the issue of startup on steep inclines. There is a reason why autos are sold more than manuals. This should stir up a hornets nest. But if one likes manual than fine, just remember heavy duty autos are built to do the job better.

Stony Creek Mike
2007 Ford F150 XLT SCAB 5.4 4X4
2013 JAYCO Swift 185RB
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
X2 Keep in mind in a traffic jam engage clutch, disengage, engage, disengage, X? get the picture. all this heats up the clutch which is the weak link. go automatick
2010 24FBS
2005 F150 extended cab
hotrod51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
One thing for sure, the manual will be far less desirable to potential truck thieves! A retired cop buddy of mine used to work auto theft detail, and local dealerships would loan his unit vehicles to use as "bait." One time the unit got a 1/2 ton truck with manual tranny; my buddy said, "We couldn't get anybody to steal that truck!"

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote