Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by BubbaJBI View Post
snip.......... A full water tank adds 400lbs to my trailer and that's not static weight. I notice it accelerating, braking, when it's windy, and on the twisty mountain roads.......snip
Also.......What some folks over look with added fluid weights is the location of the tank(s) in question, and more importantly the effect of the added fluid weight on the loaded tongue weight. In many situations this may increase/decrease the tongue weight compromising TV handling in less then ideal towing conditions, especially if the loaded tongue weight was at limits without the added fluids.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
My 2 cents...I don't tow with full tanks ever. The water slosh is like a 250-300# weight pendulum swinging around under your RV and there's no dampener baffles in the tank (usually). I've never really needed to have full fresh water other than one time and I filled up the tank at a convienience store within a few miles of the camp site. Unless you have a bunch of spare towing capacity and don't mind burning extra fuel, I'd prefer to keep things as light as possible when towing. Seriously, if you are towing in mountainous terrain with an extra 250-300#s, your TV will feel more strain even if you don't. If taste is that important, there are good carbon water filters that you can install on the kitchen sink that will solve most of that and they only weigh maybe 2 lbs.

Bart and Tina
2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Silverado 4x4-Banks Power
1997 Jayco Eagle 5er 285BHS-flipped axles
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Kinda hard not to tow with full black/grey water tanks after a week of boondocking.

2004 Jay Flight 21FB
2001 Yukon SLT
ktbarrentine is offline   Reply With Quote