Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #41

Well I appreciate all the opinions and brute honesty. Fact is I've got what I've got so ill need to change what I can to improve it. I'm taking it to a company that manufactures custom trailers for stock car racing that also contain living quarters. They've got a scale and said they'd help me out. I've got a short 90 mile trip planned for Labor Day that I've routed using no highways and it only adds 30 minutes. Like I said before if I'm not going 60 with trucks passing it towes great. I guess we'll just keep the trips short and slow for now. Thanks again.
2008 Ford Expedition King Ranch with rear air suspension, Husky WDH & SC
With:wife, my son and two daughters.

GO STATE!
Campinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #42

I typically drive 60 mph on the freeway. The first few times on a two lane highway with the TT, really made me nervous when a semi came at me. I was pleasantly surprised never to even fell them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I typically drive 60 mph on the freeway. The first few times on a two lane highway with the TT, really made me nervous when a semi came at me. I was pleasantly surprised never to even fell them.
I had a ProPride WD hitch for a while and its design allowed for lateral movement where the stinger slid into the shank. That was fine but it did result in the trailer feeling it was being ****ed towards semis as they overtook me on interstates. No control problem at all, but a strange feeling.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I had a ProPride WD hitch for a while and its design allowed for lateral movement where the stinger slid into the shank. That was fine but it did result in the trailer feeling it was being ****ed towards semis as they overtook me on interstates. No control problem at all, but a strange feeling.
That's the feeling I get. A pulling. I never go over 60 either but every jerk in a big hurry likes to fly past me and cut me off or the trucks pass me and things move. Off the interstate speed limit is 55 so I'm not 15 to 20 mph slower than everyone else. On coming traffic has never been a problem.

GO STATE!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Reading all the posts, I hear "it's the hitch", It's the tires", "too much tongue weight", "not enough tongue weight"

Bottom line is... that trailer should not be towed by a half ton, it's even too big for a lot of the 3/4 ton trucks,

the combination of the weight and the length is the problem, you need maximum tow capacity, maximum payload capacity and maximum wheel base that you can get in a pickup truck to safely pull that load....
I disagree! I have the same trailer, and have towed it with a half-ton. Nothing was in the bed of the truck, I was the only person in the cab of the truck. It towed fine.

However, when I need to haul with more "stuff", water, and people, I use my 3/4 ton because I need the payload.

It is about payload, GVWR, Axle Weights, CGVWR, tongue weight, tire ratings, and brakes.

Dad of Four Girls
2011 Silverado CC 2500HD
2011 Jayflight G2 32BHDS
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
I disagree! I have the same trailer, and have towed it with a half-ton. Nothing was in the bed of the truck, I was the only person in the cab of the truck. It towed fine.

However, when I need to haul with more "stuff", water, and people, I use my 3/4 ton because I need the payload.

It is about payload, GVWR, Axle Weights, CGVWR, tongue weight, tire ratings, and brakes.
And TV wheel base.

It can't be said enough, get actual weights then make plan. Without weights you can only guess.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #47

Ken, you seem like a reasonable guy going about things in a reasonable way. Like to hear an update in a couple of months.
Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #48

As several folks have said, you need to get to the CAT scale and go thru the procedure outlined in the sticky at the beginning of the Towing
section. Personally , I like to be at or less than 80% of my GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating. You appear to be at or over
yours. Stay Safe!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #49

I have the same TT and loaded to camp it weighs 9300lbs. I tow it with an Excursion, max tow weight 9600lbs, I would never try to tow with a 1/2 ton TV. I was discouraged from getting an Expedition because of the soft rear suspension. Once we decided we wanted the 32BHDS we forst researched TV's and W/D systems. We needed the Excursion because we are a family of six, sometimes 7 when Grandpa comes along, and the 2500 Suburbans did not have enough tow capacity. We choose the Reese Dual Cam system because of the great reviews. I have load range E LT tires on my Ex as well as have installed a Hellwig rear sway bar and the Roadmaster Active Suspension system.
Even with these improvements to the TV I still get the push/pull from passing semis.
I believe too much TT for that TV.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #50

I used to tow with an Expedition and fought the same problems you describe. An additional sway bar and adjusting weight distribution did not make significant improvements. I finally bought a F150 with 11,000 lb tow capacity. That truck made a huge difference using the same hitch and WD system. Now I have a F350 diesel that makes the towing experience much more enjoyable. The F350 was purchased to tow the Eagle Premier 5th week that should be delivered next week (it is sitting in Indiana waiting for delivery). I know you said you don't want to change vehicles now but my opinion (and experience) is that you will not get a lot of improvement until you get a vehicle with a longer wheel base.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #51

The Expedition isn't a bad tow vehicle. The trouble is when you push the upper edges of a trucks tow limits you are never going to have a relaxing drive, no matter what you tow vehicle is.

When replacing our old Grand Cherokee we decided that the Expedition was the largest thing we would consider given that it will see day to day use. With that in mind we only looked at trailers around the 5000 lb range loaded. Towing our 2013 Jay Feather X213 ( about 24 ft and 5000 lbs loaded) the Expedition is stable and unaffected by crosswinds and trucks.

If you don't want to upsize your truck you could consider downsizing your trailer.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #52

Interesting discussion, because my husband who owns an auto dealership and can pull with any tow vehicle he wants to have for a summer, got it into his head to pull our 28FtBH this year with a Dodge Durango with a Hemi V8.(At least thats what I think he called it). Great motor, good gas milage, but too short of a truck bed to be pulling that length of trailer. Because we have pulled with three different TV's now, it was very obvious compared to the first two. As to the trailer weight issue, some wise person on this site told us to go through the trailer at the beggining of our second season and remove every single item that we didn't use the first year. IT was great advice and we removed about 500 pounds of stuff that was not necessary. I know some ladies don't like to deal with this part of RVing..(lightening up) because we like to have a lot of "just in case" stuff with it, but it is actually more enjoyable to have a simpler, lighter and more organized trailer once you have done this.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #53

I know you are at the limit or slightly over the limit of the Expy, but if you can't afford to trade for a truck, look into the Propride 3P hitch. I just started towing with one and it is night and day difference. I get absolutely NO sway and the trailer/truck combo does not move one bit with a passing semi. I am amazed at the difference. It is a ton of money but I went from a 3/4 ton truck that felt the trailer back there to a 1/2 ton Tundra that really felt the trailer back there! I now don't worry about the wind, a storm, semis passing by or even following in the wash of a semi on the interstate. I get no movement at all. My buddy who tows a 28BHS with a Cummins Ram noticed how much better it tows when he follows us now. He said before you could see the camper sway and now he does not!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campinken View Post
Anything below 55 and I don't even know its behind me. Thanks folks. I've got a cross state trip coming up and I don't want to crush the steering wheel with my grip. Thanks

Jay flight G2 32 BHDS
Dry Weight 7855
Payload Capacity 1895
GVWR 9750
Hitch Weight 920

Ford expedition king ranch 2008 4wd
5.4 l. V8 300hp
Rear airbag suspension
9050 towing capacity.
I'd say then that you should try to stay right around that 55MPH speed.
Your TV, nor TT, was designed to be loaded up to or near max GVWR and run at "highway speeds".

Besides, a trip is just as much about the "traveling" as it is about the destination.
You should enjoy the sights along the way instead of having a death grip on the wheel and the 1000 mile stare out the windshield.
There's a LOT to see along the way.

The posted speed is the "limit" (or maximum) and is NOT the speed you have to maintain.
It is less than wise to push the limits while towing.
A few extra minutes of drive time is not worth the danger of trying to run "max speed" like a passenger car.
FWIW - I have seen SEVERAL wrecks in TX that were caused by nothing more than attempting towing at 70 or 80 MPH.

A 300 mile trip @ 60MPH takes only 5 hours.
The same 300 mile trip @ 75MPH takes 4.5 hours.
The 30 minutes saved is NOT worth the risk.
(and you will likely spend more than 30 minutes stopping along the way anyhow)
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #55

The scaling back gear makes sense. I've been thinking about that the last few days. We bought this camper because it was the right setup and an awesome price. Unfortunately with our schedules and our school district is year round we don't have many opportunities to camp. Probably only 5 trips this year and they are all within 90 miles except one. We love getting away with just us and not having all the distractions.
Ill look into that other hitch. I read about it and it looks good. And of course I'm going to take it slow. I don't drive fast even without the TT. Too much precious cargo.

GO STATE!