Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Trailer brake setting in newer f150 & f250

I have a question for those with the newer f150 and f250 TV's. In the towing menu on the instrument panel, there is a trailer brake setting that gives you the choice of low, medium or high. This is separate from the integrated brake controller. When towing your TT, what setting are you using? Does anyone have a good explanation of what it does? Ford nor our local dealership can answer the question.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

I have a '13 Ford F250 and it does not have the low, med, high setting. Wished it did as it might help my braking.
Turtle Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Trailer brake setting in newer f150 & f250

I have a 2016 F150. When I first picked up my 2016 Eagle HT I thought I was having problems with the brake controller. I couldn't feel the trailer brakes at all even on High 10. I found several discussions on this forum and on the Ford F-150 Owners forum where owners were questioning if their controller was working properly and/or needed a software update.

I managed to get a volt meter on the brake line and watch the output of the controller under real operating conditions. The controller was putting out good voltage so, at least for me, the brake problem was on the 5th wheel.

After a few trips, and before I could get the unit into the dealer, I started feeling the brakes. Every trip I took, the brakes got stronger.

So I did some more online research. The Brakes are self adjusting, and unlike older self adjusting brakes, these adjust when stopping while rolling forward, not backwards. HOWEVER, they adjust in very, very, very, very small increments each time you stop.

Apparently, my brakes were not manually adjusted at the factory or by the dealer. So all four drums must have been WAY loose. After a year of weekend trips the brakes are FINALLY getting into adjustment and I've turned the controller down to 7 and I suspect that I'll be turning it down a little every trip for a while.

But one thing I know is absolutely true!!! My problem is not necessarily your problem (assuming you even have one. There are bad controllers out there, there are bad magnets, wiring shorts and other problems. So if you feel you are having to set your controller too high it could be a huge range of things.

I don't know what the High Medium Low setting is either, I need to experiment more. But if I guess, I would assume it is the same as what a Prodigy controller calls "boost". Basically Boost controls how fast voltage ramps up when you hit the brakes.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Here is what the manual shows starting in 2016

Trailer Brake Effort Setting
The trailer brake controller allows the user
to customize how aggressively the trailer
brakes engage. The default value is "Low"
and is the recommended setting for most
trailers. If your trailer's brakes require more
initial voltage, or if you prefer more
aggressive trailer braking, then select either
the "Medium" or the "High" setting.

I have a Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control and it uses similar settings, my trailer is pretty light so its set at gain 9 and the single axle setting. If I leave the gain at 9 but go to double axle setting when I hit the breaks at a slow speed its very jerky and even worse at triple axle.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote