Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Trailer sway

We are towing a jayco 26bhs with a 2013 Expedition.
I am new to towing. On the freeway this thing is scary! I am using a Husky wdh. On Monday I will be putting on Michelin at/2 e rated and have bought a d/s second sway control brake as husky recommends a second sway brake on anything over 24'. I hope this helps as I don't like driving this on the freeway.

Anyone else towing a 26bhs and if so how does it tow?
bret350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

We have a 28bhs with a 1999 Expedition Reese dual cam P size tires on tv with no issues.
Will probably updating to Lt tires in spring
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

I am not sure on the WDH that you have but I can tell you I firmly believe in the Equalizer system. I would talk to your dealer and see what they say but this should take care of the sway that you are experiencing.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

We have a 264BHS towed with a 2500 Sierra Crew Cab diesel and I have not experienced any issues with sway (or any towing issue at that). We have a Blue Ox WDH. I have towed quite a few miles this past season on major roads. I have been passed and have also passed semis and other large trucks with no issue. The 264BHS in my experience tows very well. I don't think the camper is your problem. Maybe loading and/or hitch setup? I'm not an expert. Let us know if the tires and second sway brake help.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

Okay Bret if you are having sway problems you need to know that once it starts it's hard to stop. The key is to prevent it from starting. The second sway control will help but set-up on your hitch is very important too. Make sure your not nose up on your trailer. You have to have some tongue weight to keep control of the trailer with the tow vehicle. But not so much that the TV squats. 12 to 15% of trailer weight should be on the hitch ball. Watch how you load the trailer ie. keep most weight over the axles. 12,000 or 10,000 pound Equal-I-zer is the best way to go. I have been towing with this hitch for a long time and never had a sway problem. Tractor Trailers don't bother it at all. I know there are other threads here that may help with the wdh setup. Just make sure you get it right, sway is dangerous.
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret350 View Post
I am new to towing. On the freeway this thing is scary! I am using a Husky wdh. On Monday I will be putting on Michelin at/2 e rated and have bought a d/s second sway control brake as husky recommends a second sway brake on anything over 24'. I hope this helps as I don't like driving this on the freeway.

Do you KNOW that your 2013 Expedition is within its limits for your trailer tongue weight and total weight? Not what someone said or a salesman told you.

Going with stiffer sidewall tires (load range E) and additional sway control are both good steps. Be sure ALL tires tow vehicle and trailer are inflated to their maximum to reduce sidewall flexing.

You also need to KNOW what percentage of weight is on your trailer tongue (should be 10-15percent of the trailer weight) and that your tow vehicle and trailer are nearly level when hitched and both are loaded with your normal people and gear. If not level, the trailer nose can be slightly down. Having it higher than level virtually ALWAYS leads to poor handling.

That's a start. Soon you'll have lots of input from others.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

WDH setup correct?

Quote:

What year is your 26BHS? mine is a 2008 and has towed just fine with my Reese dual cam behind both a 3/4ton suburban and a 3/4ton cummins powered dodge ram.

Check your WDH set up - with your expedition and trailer loaded for travel - against the Husky installation instructions. Ball height correct. Bar spring tension correct vs. truck squat pre-hook up levels. Ball tilt to ensure spring bars are parallel to tongue. Sufficient chain links to prevent binding during turns.

All these values will change from when your dealer initially set up your hitch on a unloaded truck/trailer - especially with a 1/2ton tow vehicle.

Also, try shifting 100# or so from the back of the trailer to the front (sleeping bags, cooler, camping gear, etc). I noticed a big difference on my old trailer. We headed out with a full water tank at the front of the trailer and empty waste tanks at the back of the trailer. If I didn't drain the waste tanks at the end of the trip, the TT was quite squirrelly. Draining the waste tanks and a 100# shift usually fixed the problem.

Keep the forum posted.

Tim
2008 26BHS
2010 Ram 2500 CCLB
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......On the freeway this thing is scary! I am using a Husky wdh.......snip
There are numerous possibilities that can influence poor TV handling of a TT.

IMO a visit to a CAT scale will confirm all your weights, confirm if your WDH is sized/adjusted correctly, that your tongue weight is 13% to 15% of TT weight, TV front suspension weight is correct (relates to proper WDH adjustment), is TT towing level, etc..

The CAT scale visit will narrow down the "possibility list" real fast. IMO every TV/TT under "loaded" conditions should make at least one visit to a CAT scale.

CAT scale "how-to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Reviewing the CAT scale "how to" may provide some insight on what needs to be considered with a TV/TT combination.

I agree with adding the 2nd sway control arm on the 26BHS when using a standard WDH.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Rustic Eagle is our weight distribution/CAT Scale guru, so you'd be smart doing what he suggests. I, also, have the Husky hitch/WD bars, and my trailer would get a little squirrelly when a semi would pass me in strong winds. He suggested I add a second sway-control break to my set up. I did, and haven't had a bit of sway since. I found that no one carries the left side break in stock. My dealer spec. ordered it for me, and it arrived in 4 days. Hope you have success in solving your sway problems.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

I agree with everything Rustic Eagle has posted, and after following- he definitely provides very sage advice.
One item I would add though- if a second sway control device is needed- then to me you need to address the issue as to why the sway is starting to begin with. I learned this the hard way- ended up being my tires which could be totally different for yours.
The 26BHS comes in at 29' and change, correct? And, correct me if I am wrong- the 2013 Expeditions have a 119" wheel base. So, as mentioned- the first place I would start is a trip to the scales and check your percentage of tongue weight that you are placing on the TV, then check your tires- inflation, condition. The weights will automatically check your WDH setup as a product. You can verify the proper setup once you have those weights.
Do you have a coil sprung rear? A LOT of the members on various Ram forums state that after they supplement that rear coil setup, the sway almost disappears completely. I opted to put in HD coils since I am distrustful of air bags- but may be another area to look.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #11

Expeditions are rear coil suspension. And yes 264bhs are just shy of 30' per Jayco specs.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

Tire pressure .. make sure all tires are inflated properly
tongue weight.. 15% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue.
weight distribution bars do you have them tightened enough?
if all else fails a HENSLY ARROW OR PROPRIDE hitch is the answer.. I have the HA and wish I had gone with the PP instead.. ( just small differences)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #13

I tow my 26 bh on the freeway all the time with no sway control( planning on adding soon just in case), but haven't had any issues with sway yet. Having a level setup with proper tongue weight goes a long way to prevent sway. I take my time when loading up, making sure to distribute cargo evenly. Also take time to properly adjust WDH so my truck axles return to as close to stock/unloaded weight ratios. I am lucky enough to live 10 mins from a public scale so I weigh my truck and trailer before every long trip and make adjustments as needed.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

Get your TV/TT weighed. Make sure your TW is at least 12%-15%. JMO but those friction add on bars are worthless. They won't keep a poorly loaded TT and improperly setup SUV from swaying.
You need to load up the TT and SUV then before hitching up measure the front fender well hgt. Then hitch up without the WD bars attached and measure the frond fender well again. Next you want to return the front fender measurement to close to the original hgt. E.g if it's 39" unhitched and 41" hitched w/o WD then you want the front to be 39-40" and no less than 39".
Don't worry about the rear. It will drop a couple inches and that's fine.
All the above is based on a properly loaded TT. That's why you need to get it weighed to find out if your TW is at least 12-15%.
Make sure your tires are at max psi for both the TT and SUV. I wouldn't waste the money on E rated tires yet or that friction bar. Spend it on a quality WDH like an EQ with 4pt sway built in or a Reese DC type. E rated tires aren't going to stop the TT from swaying.

Get it weighed.
Setup the front fender measurement.
Air up the tires.

Do all those before spending money on tires.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

The CAT Scale is your friend.
We towed the X23B a couple of years with our '03 Expe (5.4). I was surprised to learn that with the Bride, myself and the wiener dog aboard we were 200# shy of maxing the rear axle (according to the yellow sticker). We were WELL below the "max tow weight" from the owner's. IMHO if you pull a correctly balanced TT that is at or near your max tow weight you will be OVER the Rear GAWR.
Did I say the CAT Scale is your friend?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Do you KNOW that your 2013 Expedition is within its limits for your trailer tongue weight and total weight? Not what someone said or a salesman told you.

Going with stiffer sidewall tires (load range E) and additional sway control are both good steps. Be sure ALL tires tow vehicle and trailer are inflated to their maximum to reduce sidewall flexing.

You also need to KNOW what percentage of weight is on your trailer tongue (should be 10-15percent of the trailer weight) and that your tow vehicle and trailer are nearly level when hitched and both are loaded with your normal people and gear. If not level, the trailer nose can be slightly down. Having it higher than level virtually ALWAYS leads to poor handling.

That's a start. Soon you'll have lots of input from others.

Yes, we are good on weight and are at 12% tw according to tongue scale at dealer. I trusted the dealer for the wdh as I have never towed before or owned a TT (only an 8ft open trailer) They recommended (Husky wdh that they supplied) paid them to install/ set it up correctly as I didn't trust myself.lol

Wondering if it could be the loose nut behind the wheel???

My tires are being installed now as I type this. I just bought this truck a few months ago and the tires were already worn, so I just upgraded.
My trailer has been in the shop for a month + with warranty work being done, so when I pick it up I will have the second sway control and the LT tires on.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

My TT is a 2015

OK, so my old tires were inflated to 30psi when max on them was 44psi p-metric Goodyear wrangler rsa. Just had the service guy tell me.

Could it be that with all my checks, prep, research that I forgot to check the tire pressure......apparently. Could this contribute to my issue?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #18

Yes, 2003 + expeditions are coil spring.

Yes, 29.6 total length.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
I agree with everything Rustic Eagle has posted, and after following- he definitely provides very sage advice.
One item I would add though- if a second sway control device is needed- then to me you need to address the issue as to why the sway is starting to begin with. I learned this the hard way- ended up being my tires which could be totally different for yours.
The 26BHS comes in at 29' and change, correct? And, correct me if I am wrong- the 2013 Expeditions have a 119" wheel base. So, as mentioned- the first place I would start is a trip to the scales and check your percentage of tongue weight that you are placing on the TV, then check your tires- inflation, condition. The weights will automatically check your WDH setup as a product. You can verify the proper setup once you have those weights.
Do you have a coil sprung rear? A LOT of the members on various Ram forums state that after they supplement that rear coil setup, the sway almost disappears completely. I opted to put in HD coils since I am distrustful of air bags- but may be another area to look.
Yes, 2003 + expeditions are coil spring.

Yes, 29.6 total length.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, we are good on weight and are at 12% tw according to tongue scale at dealer. I trusted the dealer for the wdh as I have never towed before or owned a TT (only an 8ft open trailer) They recommended (Husky wdh that they supplied) paid them to install/ set it up correctly as I didn't trust myself..........snip
Don't forget, your RV dealer adjusted your WDH under "unloaded" TV/TT conditions (assuming WDH properly sized/adjusted)...., once a TV/TT combination is under "loaded" conditions (ready to camp) the WDH in most cases has to be re-adjusted (can't pre-adjust for loaded conditions). Once this initial re-adjustment is done it shouldn't have to be re-adjusted again unless your loading habits notably change.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote