Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Do you have a temp guage or just an indicator light?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you have a temp guage or just an indicator light?
Just a digital readout.

jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
Site Team

I don't see why you are interested in the temps if you can't determine what is is anyhow.

If you see a spike that stays spiked, I would advise pulling over and letting it idle a while.

My old rig had just a indicator and I went thru 2 transmissions before getting a gauge that told me the actual temps. Hot transmission fluid is hard on seals.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

Older GMs, pre 2006 that is, that used the 4L60E transmission were very sensitive to high temps, 200+ for long periods. In 2006 GM introduced Dex VI fluid, which is a synthetic blend that keeps your trans cooler than Dex III did. GM recommends DEX VI for all pre 2006 GMT trucks now. Your truck has a 6 speed and is much more modern than the 4L40E 4 speed that I have.

I had an incident last year where my temps in my Sierra were running up to 220. This was around Indy, outside temps were 90 and high humidity. Not for long periods, but for an hour or so. Long enough to concern me. I stopped at a shop in Gatlinberg and talked to one of the guys there and he looked at my fluid and said everything looked fine, and those temps were no big deal, enjoy the rest of my trip, which I did.

BTW, as an FYI, my high temps were caused by my custom grill insert not allowing enough air flow. When I realized that I took the insert off and the temps dropped to 170-180 on the flats, 190-200 in Tennessee's mountain passes for short bursts. Point being, with your small trailer you do not need a auxiliary transmission.

I think I would start to get concerned at 230+ for long periods. Short burst should not be a problem, especially with a trailer the size you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I don't see why you are interested in the temps if you can't determine what is is anyhow.
He can. The digital gauge he's talking about gives an actual temperature number.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Good, Sorry, I didn't know. My gauge indicated a "normal" temp for me when towing flat and at highway speeds. After a while you get a feel when it is not normal anymore. After I had the gauge installed, I would pull over when it was approaching 210 deg.

Usually that was in 4-6% grades. Never had anymore seal problems after that.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Older GMs, pre 2006 that is, that used the 4L60E transmission were very sensitive to high temps, 200+ for long periods. In 2006 GM introduced Dex VI fluid, which is a synthetic blend that keeps your trans cooler than Dex III did. GM recommends DEX VI for all pre 2006 GMT trucks now. Your truck has a 6 speed and is much more modern than the 4L40E 4 speed that I have.

I had an incident last year where my temps in my Sierra were running up to 220. This was around Indy, outside temps were 90 and high humidity. Not for long periods, but for an hour or so. Long enough to concern me. I stopped at a shop in Gatlinberg and talked to one of the guys there and he looked at my fluid and said everything looked fine, and those temps were no big deal, enjoy the rest of my trip, which I did.

BTW, as an FYI, my high temps were caused by my custom grill insert not allowing enough air flow. When I realized that I took the insert off and the temps dropped to 170-180 on the flats, 190-200 in Tennessee's mountain passes for short bursts. Point being, with your small trailer you do not need a auxiliary transmission.

I think I would start to get concerned at 230+ for long periods. Short burst should not be a problem, especially with a trailer the size you have.

He can. The digital gauge he's talking about gives an actual temperature number.
I replaced the fluid in my tranny with the Dexron VI a few years back. It will tolerate more heat then the old Dex3. Mine has the analog gauge and I have approached 200 a few times when its real hot out. But that should be a non issue with the synthetic Dex6.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I replaced the fluid in my tranny with the Dexron VI a few years back. It will tolerate more heat then the old Dex3. Mine has the analog gauge and I have approached 200 a few times when its real hot out. But that should be a non issue with the synthetic Dex6.
But if they have an ALLISON 06 and up or around there it will be using TRAN-SYD which will tolerate very high temps. You can actually use that in any GM trany from what I understand. Not cheap, but the best you can get.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

OP with a factory tow package I believe u should have a transmission cooler standard. My previous truck was a 2010 GMC 1500 with tow package and it included a trans cooler.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
OP with a factory tow package I believe u should have a transmission cooler standard. My previous truck was a 2010 GMC 1500 with tow package and it included a trans cooler.
My '12 Sierra also had the HD tow package and thus an auxiliary trans cooler. OP may already have one?

I got that trans up to around 220 or 230 a couple times and wasn't very comfortable with it, but as I've read here and other places, for short times, it shouldn't be a concern. That trans would run between 180-190 during standard towing. I got to where I would watch it pretty close when conditions warranted (traffic, steep grade, etc).

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My '12 Sierra also had the HD tow package and thus an auxiliary trans cooler. OP may already have one?

I got that trans up to around 220 or 230 a couple times and wasn't very comfortable with it, but as I've read here and other places, for short times, it shouldn't be a concern. That trans would run between 180-190 during standard towing. I got to where I would watch it pretty close when conditions warranted (traffic, steep grade, etc).
Thanks for all the info folks! It does have the small factory trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I think I'll be fine. My question was answered I guess. Looks like prolonged periods above 220-230 might be a concern so I'll keep an eye on it.

jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote