Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #1

Triple Tow Question

Trying to figure out best configuration. I just got a 2011 Jay Series 1007 and trying to figure out best way to triple tow with a 2500 lb boat. The 1007 dry weight is about 1800 lbs. I know that the boat should be the one behind the TV then the pup due to the weight of each, but the boat trailer would require a custom hitch and not sure if anyone here can do it. I noticed that the pup frame is a 2x4 except at the rear bumper. Im considering removing the rear bumper and having an adjustable hitch bolted to the pup frame. wondering if anyone can see any issues with this setup? I plan on running sway control on both pup and boat and upgrade to bigger axle on pup. And yes it is legal in OK to triple tow and no the trailer behind the TV does not have to be a 5er. Any thoughts?
navman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #2

To tandem tow, at least in California, the first trailer must be a 5th wheel. Farmers have the exception. I tandem towed two tag trailers once on a farm as a kid, didn't feel real comfortable. I do agree you would want the heavier trailer second.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #3

Here in WI it is also legal to triple tow (or double tow if you like) with bumper pull trailers if under 65' in length. I have spent 30 years in the marine industry and lots of years camping and have never seen a boat pulling a camper. Boat trailers usually have much less tongue weight that campers do so that might be a problem. After hitching a camper to the boat trailer there would be little tongue weight. Building a hitch on the back of a boat trailer would be interesting, it would have to be removable so you could launch the boat. Seems best to tow the boat behind the camper, but is a pop up frame strong enough to support the tongue weight of the boat trailer, and also strong enough to tug it down the road, bouncing and flexing the pup's frame? Good questions without answers.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

I think the pup frame could take it as it is 2x4 tubing and I add a new 2x4 tubing bumper. That has been the problem with trying to develop a removable receiver to the boat trailer. I have seen it in pictures from others which means it can be done. Now I just need to find out how to do it. Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

We've double towed on 3 different rigs. First travel trailer, boat behind it and only made one run with it due to not towing worth a flip. Too much sway for me. Later with a fifth wheel and towed straight as can be. Lots of miles double towing with that one. Later with another travel trailer and straight as can be. Stayed more local with that one as we were over the state length limit. Rig was 83' front to back I think. Too many variables contribute to how it will tow. Axle location on the RV, as in 60/40, 70/30 or however they have them placed, tongue weight on rv and second trailer etc etc. I've always built the receiver hitches for our rigs to get it set up how I want.

Not trying to dampen the idea, but I wouldn't even attempt it with a pup, mainly due to the fact the boat is way heavier than the pup, and I'd guess I lot longer. I have a feeling, even with sway control, you'd be all over the road with a big teeter totter affect with the pup.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

BigJohnD, that's what I was thinking. Looks like I will just have to call around to some fabrication shops and have a custom receiver made.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Short haul maybe but otherwise not a good idea. Might be ok with a smaller lighter boat but not your rig. If short trip, just have friend tow the boat.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

The boat we double towed with before wasn't that heavy. 17' panfish, I think 22-23' on the trailer. Now have a bigger boat and it's quite a bit heavier. I would double tow now, but I'm not as confident in the LCI frame I have to work with now, the axle placement on the RV, plus even though I have the stock Jayco receiver hitch with a little extra welding added, I don't trust it with the present boat. The thought still crosses my mind though.

My thoughts are like Bassdogs. Short haul maybe, long haul probably a no go.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

We tandem towed behind our '07 Flagstaff trailer. Had a custom hitch welded on the back including lights. The boat weighed about 1000lbs with about 100lbs on the tongue. We towed this same boat behind our '02 Rockwood popup. The same guy installed a custom hitch on the back of the popup as well. He really had to beef up the frame in the rear. I think I paid around $500 for the hitch install. Never had any issue with sway or anything except you couldn't back up. Wish I had pics of that one. Of course, your boat is quite a bit heavier.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry's camera 130.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	21082
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote