Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I keep wishing I could've found a 3500 SRW, but only because of the "can't have too big of a truck" thought process.
My Father in law has a 2016 3500 Duramax DRW Crew Cab with Long Box. I have driven it a bit and the thing is huge. When he first got it he went camping but couldn't pull his Heartland Big Horn because he didn't have a chance to move the hitch over to the new truck. He asked that we bring it down to the camp site as other relatives wanted to check it out. The dualies make it pretty wide but if pulling a camper it is no different. We stopped by a grocery store to get some food and beer and it took up 4 parking spots. Not to mention the turning radius is a football field. It is fine on the highway but I wouldn't want to drive it in town or as a daily driver.

One thing I discovered that shocked me though was registration here in Minnesota. He leaves the truck at our place in the winter along with their 5er when they are in FL for the winter. He asked if we could pick up the tabs for it last year. I was absolutely in shock. The tabs for our 2011 Yukon Denali was about $400 the tabs on the 3500 $140. Even though tabs are normally based on vehicle value here in MN I guess it is buy weight or something different with the 1 ton trucks. I know his '14 2500 he had before hand was something like $600 for tabs. If I recall there wasn't much cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 so at least in MN if I ever moved up to a big TV like this I would be all over a 1 ton unless they change how the tabs work. I agree that I would probably go for a SRW if I was going to drive it much unless it was just for pulling a camper and I had a different daily driver. Another negative I have read about DRW up here in north country is the dual rear wheels add more tread surface which can cause traction issues in snow. Narrower tires are normally better than really wide tires that float more in the slop.