Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
One of the significant things that I realized early in our search for our 5th was that while the hybrid would accommodate 4 adults easily most 5ths were geared towards 2 adults (bunk house models being the exception). While we have floor space for additional people it involves folding out the sofa and then storing it the next morning.
Thanks! That's definitely something we're considering. Assuming the majority of guests would be our 20-something kids (or 30-something next decade), we'd let them use our PUP if they want to camp with us rather than trading it in.

Appreciate your input as you're, like you said, a few years ahead of us but on a path we're looking at, too. Appreciate your insight.

raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
Site Team
I would not tow the units mentioned with a 1/2 ton. 35'+ in length, heavy hitch weights, GVWR over 10 grand, and throw in the mix the fact that you would be full timing so your truck and trailer would be loaded with gear and living essentials. You would not be a happy camper with that combo, IMO.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Thanks everyone for the great advice. It helps with our planning. We're going to be replacing the wife's minivan in 2-3 years. It seems like if we're going to buy our retirement RV anytime soon, we'll have to pony up to a 3/4T truck, at least. Maybe a 3/4T SUV as I hear GMC and Chevy offer with the Tahoe/Suburban as the wife suggests, but I'm heavily leaning toward a 5er over a long TT which negates that option.

Wife is going to have to decide how big of an upgrade she wants. Maybe a 20-23' hybrid would suffice until we truly retire. I know hybrids have issues, but if it's something we use 'til we truly retire (and our youngest is college age), I like the ability to sleep 4 plus a jackknife sofa that, say, an X23B offers. In that case, we'll just go with a 1/2T truck.

Again, thanks for helping us frame the problem.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here, and my answer is in regards to the title of your post, not necessarily the content of the original post, you see, as you state the TV for our Ultimate Retirement TT RV,

This is interpreted to me as... "If I could afford it, what would be the best option?"

In my opinion this means never having to worry about payload, towing capacities, and being under powered.

This leads to only one option, a 1 ton dually diesel truck. I'm partial to Dodge, but I'm not even going to push that one. All three, Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet have their pro's and con's, but one cannot deny, having more truck than "meeting the numbers" is a great feeling.

So, there you have my opinion of the Ultimate retirement tow vehicle.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
I've always had my own rule that I'd never go over 80% of the trucks towing capacity. I like my 20% margin for different reasons. As close in cost as most trucks are now, you can't go wrong getting a little more truck than you need. You pay over $50k for a loaded F-150, I paid $54k for my loaded F-350 diesel. Not a hard decision when mine still gets 18mpg, sometimes more, and 10-12mpg towing. Just no comparing.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Thanks everyone. Believe me, the point about not having too much TV is not lost on me. Our minivan served us well towing our PUP 2009-14, but I was never totally comfortable with it. As soon as I got the opportunity to replace it, we went with a NTU TrailBlazer with factory tow package. Our loaded PUP and gear in the TB probably get us up to 60-70% of the towing capacity.

Unless we scale back on the RV we want, I can see a 3/4 or 1T truck is a requirement, not a nice to have.