Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

TV help please

Hi all, we have a 2011 jay flight swift and tow it with 2005 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 5.3liter 3.42 gear ratio. Now for the bad we're in Arizona where we camp is 7200 ft with grades of 7% climbs. I have to drop down into 2nd gear wide open 40 mph top speed.
At this time can't afford 3/4 or diesel, we have no problem stopping or with swaying. A gear swap is the only option 4.10's just not sure that will be enough help.

What you think? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Az bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

I can not describe how much of a advantage 4:10 gears would make. But to me it would be like having a extra 75hp or more.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

You could do a gear swap and that will help. It will also take your gas mileage down.

Question: when you are pulling a grade and in second gear and topping out at 40 MPH, are you starting to overheat? If you have a transmission temp reading, is that getting too hot?

If the answer is "NO" then don't worry about it. Top the hill at 40. There is a stigma in the world today that we must get to the top and not hold up traffic. Just because the speed limit is 55 or 65 or what have you. This doesn't mean you can't go slower up the hill. As for holding up traffic, relax, pull to the right as much as you can, use turn outs whenever possible and enjoy the drive.

If the answer is "yes", then a gear swap may keep you from overheating and it may not.

Probably not the answer you were looking for. Apologies. If you look at my signature you will notice, the combination I am towing and towing with. Even I slow down on grades. I have found myself dropping to 3rd gear and hovering between 45 and 50 MPH on grades. Many times, I can really push it and maintain 55 - 60 MPH, but then I am shifting from 3rd to 4th, and playing the speed drop off shift down, speed back up game. I refuse to do so anymore. I do just as I have suggested, I let the speed drop off and sit in a gear the truck is comfortable towing at and relax. I don't overheat my engine, tranny, clutch or overwork the truck.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

The last trip we got a late start when we left it was about 111 deg outside temp push the hills engine temp got to 230 turned a/c off didn't get higher. It seams like here you climb big grade then there's a down hill which will drop temp back to 210. It doesn't have a Trans temp gauge but I'm going to use a scanner on our next trip in a few weeks so I'll see what the tranny is doing.
As for gas milage I'm at 10mpg ave when towing now, just tahoe is 15/19.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #5

4.10 gears would be pretty good. Do you tow a lot? What size tires do you have? You mileage may drop a little when not towing but may increase when towing. You will be able to hold a higher gear better with the 4.10 gears. If you plan on keeping the Tahoe a long time then maybe a gear swap makes sense.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

With our old viking Pop up we tried to go at least 7 or 8 trips but with the jayco we plan that and some winter trips also. The tahoe we bought new and is paid off so if we can make it tow ready that's or plan. Gear change is a lot cheaper than new TV. The model jay flight swift is 198RD so it's smaller the the 22fd but big enough for my wife and I. The pop up went to the kids (let them crank it up) .
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #7

Heck then go for it. Gears swap would be about 2k for a 4x4. But may be cheaper where you are with so many 4x4 shops you should have out there. They are few and far between here.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

I pull our 1997 314bhs Eagle with an 03 Tahoe 5.3 4x4 and I think I have 3.73 gears (not real sure). My experience here is going slow up the hills is o.k. I stay in the right lane on the expressway and can run 60mph on most highways. I have found the key for me is keep the overdrive off, tow/haul button on and use your foot, not cruise control. by doing these three things, I rarely downshift into second gear, although I do sometimes fall below 40mph going up hill. Im not sure what year your Tahoe is, but I had a trans temp gauge added to my gauge cluster so I can keep an eye on things. It was an $80 upgrade and I think well worth it. Don't worry about being slow, plan ahead, make reservations so its not a race to the cg, take an extra day to get to your destination if you are worried you are pushing your truck. Take the back country roads or county highways as those are usually slower speeds.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote