Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

Upgrade TV from 4-Runner to Sequoia Limited

Almost three years ago my wife and I choose the X18d hybrid for two reasons... the sleeping arrangements for our family of four plus a guest and the under 5000lbs GVW. That was the magic number... 5000lb towing capacity for our V6 4-runner Limited, and as we used it on several trips I always knew we were perhaps "towing on the edge", That is not to say it felt unsafe, but slightly under powered, and as a result we would be limited when heading to the mtns.

After spending 6 weeks and countless hours on Auto Trader searching for the right Sequoia we found one with the needed tow package raising our towing
capacity to whopping 9500lbs. With a camping trip coming soon I made a one hour test run the other day and the comfort level and ease with which the trailer
is controlled has increased greatly.

A 9 hour drive will be the next test ,with a convoy of four other campers, the head rest DVD players keeping the boys in the back seat happy and the wife able to relax and enjoy the view in the front seat, I am looking forward to both the drive and the lakeside camp site waiting for us when we get there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0180.jpg  
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #2

Congrats. That is a very nice vehicle. It blows me away how beefy those Sequoia's are. You should have no issue going where you need to go in that SUV. Have a great upcoming trip and congrats again on the new TV.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Congrats on the new TV. Your setup is very similar to ours (x20e & '10 Sequoia). Like you we were using a mid-size V6 vehicle to tow previously, and while it did the job, the Sequoia blows it away. We're all so much more comfortable with the extra space & there are now no concerns about towing in the mountains. This weekend we're planning a trip into the mountains with my family + my parents. this will be our first trip towing the camper w/ 4 adults and 2 kids.

I'm pretty excited to be heading out with everyone, as this was one of the reasons we went with a larger camper and a full-size SUV.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #4

Congratulations on the new TV. My brother in law just got a '13 Sequoia Limited, and I was really impressed. You'll love the safety and power in reserve. But be careful, you may need to upgrade the camper
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

Congrats! Nice choice! We did something similar in the truck world. Went from a Tacoma to a Tundra....major difference and comfort level on long trips. Only downside is my Tundra has a drinking problem.....she sure does like her gas!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

The increase in fuel cost is a small price to pay for the added power and safety.... at least that's what I keep telling myself. As long as the price stays below $3.50 a gallon. In the end I don't think the mileage will be that much worse because the V6 in the 4-Runner would rev at a high rate when we would hit any rolling terrain... but with Sequoia the
rpm's are a lot lower at highway speed with the "Tow Haul" feature in use. This first trip will set the bar.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 4Runner V6 pulling a smaller 165 Sport GVRW of 3,500#
It pulled it fine 9,000 miles, but the wheel base made it a little dicey in much wind.

let me know how your longer test turns out. I was thinking of going to a truck, but maybe a Sequoia would work fine.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Hows the Sequioa working out?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote