Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Originally Posted by ski2moro View Post
1. Is the problem the pulling or the stopping?

2. If I wanted to get a new TV for the x23b, what weight tow capacity should I be looking for?

Just to throw another question out there...I was in Europe last year and was astounded at the number of smaller cars pulling big trailers through the Alps. I saw Passat station wagons and small Mercedes SUVs pulling 30' TTs. My Volvo is a HUGE car by European standards. What is the difference? On the Volvo Deutschland website, the Volvo's towing capability is the same - 5000#.

There was not a single truck in the campground there, only small cars. Why can the Europeans tow so much more? It can't be that most of the cars are diesel - the weight is virtually the same. I have been to the European "Caravan" or "Wohnwagen" websites and I have seen the TT weights. I’m baffled.
Drunk drivers over the legal limit make it home more often than not, but it doesn't make it right, smart, or safe. So many of these new cars are built with the unibody frames and the just don't compare to the stability offered with with a truck chassis, regardless of what the manufacturer advertises or posts in the owners manual.

For longevity of your vehicle life, including engine, transmission, suspensions, and brakes, if you plan to tow, then step up and get a vehicle that is safely capable of doing the job.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
If my conversions are correct.....here is your answer

Following is a link to a brand new very stylish and well equipped Scando TT....if my conversions are correct...this a 25' TT that weighs @ 3,000#

Attachment 9274

I am finding weights of 1700kg or 3700+ pounds. Similar to the ones here in the US...

campdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by ski2moro View Post
snip....... I have a Volvo xc90, AWD, 3.2 V6 with a published tow capacity of 5000 lbs. I am looking at a 2013 Jayco X23b. At 3925 unloaded weight, 410 hitch weight and 4950 GVWR,....snip
Welcome to JOF

Just a little clarification on published Tow Ratings.., they don't reflect a vehicle's actual Tow Rating. In reality you would have to subtract the sum total weights of the Volvo's options, passengers, cargo, etc., from the 5,000lbs......, the remaining weight would be more reflective of the actual weight (approximately). The following JOF thread will provide a little more insight on published Tow Ratings versus Actual: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Check your owners manual "Towing Section" for any trailer tongue weight limitations, and/or WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) restrictions. No RV salesperson will advise you of any of your vehicles towing limitaions/restrictions..... that's up to us (customer) to know. Also, always think in terms of "loaded weights", sales folks tend to think in terms of unloaded and dry weights.

The actual Ship Weight of the X23B will be approximately 4,200lbs (brother in-law had one), which I'm confident will be close to your XC90's actual tow rating. IMO the X23B is the wrong choice for the Volvo XC90.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Originally Posted by campdds View Post
I am finding weights of 1700kg or 3700+ pounds. Similar to the ones here in the US...
Wrong link.....I see (7) models from 22'-25' ...from 2,755# - 3,300#
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
I've got a new x23b and I'm pulling it with a VW Touareg TDI. I can tell you that when it's loaded up with bikes in the trailer and no water the tongue weight is around 650lbs. The dry weight, is really dry. No propane, no battery, nadda. I'm pulling a nearly 6000lb trailer with a vehicle with a stated 7700lbs of capacity. The tongue weight does count towards the vehicle cargo capacity as well.

So, all that out of the way, I feel like I've got about as small a vehicle as I can tow the x23b with safely. It pulls it up hills nicely, I've got a nice 8speed tranny on 3.0L of diesel and I'd really not want to go in that volvo. You've got to get past the low numbers listed on the website and into the real-world numbers that you'll actually put the vehicle under.

Now as for Europe, as an owner of a European made vehicle I can tell you that towing is done differently there. There is only one ball size, the trailers are made to balance the weight more and their setup is meant to only put 200-400lbs on the tongue. They don't use WD setups and they don't put a 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. You're seeing vehicles do different work than in the US. They're also built differently, there's a lot more diesels out there and you don't know what they've done for keeping things cool as well.

I had to have my hitch reinforced to work well for my setup using the x23b and boy did it make a big difference once I got things reinforced and the WD/anti-sway system setup. Just my .02 as someone that just finished going through the TV + trailer buying research for the same trailer you're looking at.

Since the max weight of the x23b is around 6000lbs I'd be looking for something that can tow a bit over that. A Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1/2 ton truck, or something along those lines.
2016 Eagle 284BHBE
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L Cummings

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
Volvo xc90 and X23b - Opinions?

Besides all the weight stuff, your Volvo will be getting a new transmission with every other oil change. It is a weak point on those cars.

G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote