Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #1

Watch out Green Mountains...I'm coming for you!

Heading over to New Hampshire from NY as usual for the NASCAR race in Loudon a little later this year and am actually looking forward to the haul for a change. As anyone who has run this route before would tell you, it's a bit of a climb up over the top of Killington from Rutland to Woodstock. I've always hauled it with a 1500 gasser in the past but things are about to change for the better. My son showed up with a new Ram 2500 CTD last evening and all but insisted that I borrow it for such events. Well, who am I to argue with that kind of generosity. As someone who has always been at the far end of tow limits and payload capacities, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to being "over-trucked" for a change and will certainly chime back in with a post trip update.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Danger Will Robinson! I see a new truck in your future after this trip!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

I agree! You are gonna absolutely LOVE towing with the Cummins! I giggle every time the exhaust brake comes on while the trans downshifts to slow down. Plus the ease of pulling is so nice!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

What a dream this turned out to be. We went out for both races this year with the son’s CTD and the difference is night and day vs my small gasser. I don’t think I’m ready to become a Dodge / Ram guy just yet but I’ve turned looking for an 04-07 2500 Duramax into a daily event. Without trying to sound too morbid, I suppose I’m really hoping to come across the “perfect” rig...a low miles truck of this vintage from an estate sale that was used only to haul the camper a few times each year and lived in the garage otherwise.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
What a dream this turned out to be. We went out for both races this year with the son’s CTD and the difference is night and day vs my small gasser. I don’t think I’m ready to become a Dodge / Ram guy just yet but I’ve turned looking for an 04-07 2500 Duramax into a daily event. Without trying to sound too morbid, I suppose I’m really hoping to come across the “perfect” rig...a low miles truck of this vintage from an estate sale that was used only to haul the camper a few times each year and lived in the garage otherwise.
Good luck on your search.lol I looked for a couple of years and only found very high mileage trucks in a reasonable price range. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new one. I know duramaxes are good for a lot of miles, but 10 to 15 year old heavy duty trucks are pretty well worn and repairs are expensive. You might try your local rv dealers for trade ins as they usually wholsale them out.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Site Team

It's hard to find a used diesel because you have no idea of how well it was cared for. If cared for properly it will likely outlast you.

We buy used cars that have a maintenance record from a dealer. Every used diesel I looked at had none. That's why the last one I bought was new. It may outlast me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote