Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

WD hitch question

I am plannig on up grading from a tent trailer to a jayco hybrid model 23b. Twenty years ago I rented a 23' travel trailer and used a WD system with the trailer. I had a 2500 GMC at the time. I don't know what the weight ratings were on the WD bars so I don't know if they were to heavy for the trailer that I towing. When towing on asphalt the trailer rode smooth behine the truck but when I was on the concrete freeways of southern CA the trailer would tug at the truck making for a rough ride. I will be towing the 23b with a 1500 GMC and would like a smooth ride out of town. Can anyone explain why the differance in the ride on the two differant surfaces?

sawdust
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sawdust,
What I've experience between the concrete and blacktop highways is the expansion/control joints they have to put in the concrete. Seems like about every 12' there is a joint which can cause the traler to bounce. Depending on speed, you can have the TV bounce and then the TT bounce. They can develop a harmonic rythem that can be annoying.
A weight distribution can help reduce this. On my pop-up, adding more tongue weight can help as well. If you have your WDH set up incorrectly, it will make it worse.
Not much more to tell you. Sometimes you can only minimize this affect.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Sawdust,
What I've experience between the concrete and blacktop highways is the expansion/control joints they have to put in the concrete. Seems like about every 12' there is a joint which can cause the traler to bounce. Depending on speed, you can have the TV bounce and then the TT bounce. They can develop a harmonic rythem that can be annoying.
A weight distribution can help reduce this. On my pop-up, adding more tongue weight can help as well. If you have your WDH set up incorrectly, it will make it worse.
Not much more to tell you. Sometimes you can only minimize this affect.

Best regards,
Doug
I would add to Doug's post about the only other thing you could do to calm the trailer's ride is add shock absorbers (if it is possible to do so) and change your axles to an independent type suspension such as the type Dexter manufactures, which is likely a little pricey.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but I had the MorRyde IS suspension (rubber shear springs and each wheel on a shaft independent of the other) on the fifth wheel we previously owned. It rode and towed like a dream.............everywhere except I-55 in Mississippi between Jackson and the Louisiana border. The expansion joints you mention on that stretch of highway are absolute murder! The trailer porpoised unmercifully even with the IS suspension. The only way I could lessen the misery was to slow to less than 55 mph..........and that lessened but didn't stop it.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. The jayco 23b that I am interested in has the independent suspension. My jayco tandum axle tent trailer also has the independent suspension and it rides very smooth. Looks like I will be carrying a few extra pounds of tongue weight. Now if I can only find a 23b in southern CA.

sawdust
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote