Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #1

WDH adjustment.

Morning,

Well, I ended up purchasing the Air Lift air bags for my F250. But as I was driving to work this morning, it dawned on me. Am I gonna have to adjust the WDH due to the fact of raising the truck back up to level? I really don't sag that much. I bought the air bags to help with suspension wear, headlamp aim and just plain "feel better" security. Can't hurt, right? Just wondering if anyone else bought an air bag helper kit and had to adjust their hitch. I would imagine I may have to lower the ball mount unit to compensate the height difference. So before I call Reese or Air Lift, I thought I'd see if anyone here has had "real world" experience.

Thanks!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

I believe there have been similar questions on this forum, but related to trucks with air suspension.

Probably your best bet would be to call the WDH manufacturer. IMO, they would have a better idea on how to setup their hitch when using air bags.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #3

I have a little bit of real world experience. I installed Roadmaster Active Suspension on my old truck, and when I called Progress Manufacturing (the manufacturer of my hitch), they said to start over with setup any time you do anything to the suspension.

I would imagine Reese will tell you the same thing.

From what I understand, you're supposed to leave the bags deflated to their standard ride pressure, then hook up the hitch, then inflate the bags to make the truck level. I never understood how this helps though because when you inflate the bags, you're taking pressure off the bars and thus not distributing as much weight forward or fully utilizing any built-in friction sway control.

I'm curious to read what you find out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Newtonian physics and geometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I have a little bit of real world experience. I installed Roadmaster Active Suspension on my old truck, and when I called Progress Manufacturing (the manufacturer of my hitch), they said to start over with setup any time you do anything to the suspension.

I would imagine Reese will tell you the same thing.

From what I understand, you're supposed to leave the bags deflated to their standard ride pressure, then hook up the hitch, then inflate the bags to make the truck level. I never understood how this helps though because when you inflate the bags, you're taking pressure off the bars and thus not distributing as much weight forward or fully utilizing any built-in friction sway control.

I'm curious to read what you find out.
X2.
I agree that when ever you change the suspension (or the nominal TT/TV load) to which your WDH was adjusted, you should start over and adjust the hitch per mfg directions.

I am curious how much your front bumper height changes when you inflate your bags to level the truck.
- inflate bags to level truck, which takes weight off of WD bars.
- weight off WD bars shifts weight back to rear axle
- more weight on rear axle = less weight on front axle, therefore front end of truck should rise.
- front end rises, causes squirrely steering.

(Just trying to recall my college physics course work)

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

I installed timbrens on my F250 and did adjust my hitch to the new suspension setup. I could have used it as it was but I was able to take better advantage of the reduced drop in the rear before the bars were installed. The new adjustment allows for faster hook up and unhooking.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
The new adjustment allows for faster hook up and unhooking.
Same here after I installed the Timbrens. I think the Timbrens perform best with the really heavy tongue weights. Mine is pushing 1400lbs.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #7

Follow up

Welp..happy to say..I didn't have to adjust the hitch at all. It tows like a dream with the bags on there and it seems like the WDH is working even better! Highly recommend!

Have a great weekend everyone!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote