Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
GMC

WDH Advice

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra V8 4x4. I'm towing a 154BH. That should be plenty of truck, but I'm curious about what you all think about a WDH with this set up. The truck squats about 2in or so when the trailer is hooked to it. I've taken it on a couple of trips and haven't noticed any issues. For $300 or so, is it cheap insurance or a waste of money? We have a trip to FL in the works and I want it to be as easy on the truck as possible.

Thanks
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra V8 4x4. I'm towing a 154BH. That should be plenty of truck, but I'm curious about what you all think about a WDH with this set up. The truck squats about 2in or so when the trailer is hooked to it. I've taken it on a couple of trips and haven't noticed any issues. For $300 or so, is it cheap insurance or a waste of money? We have a trip to FL in the works and I want it to be as easy on the truck as possible.

Thanks

Weigh it, then you'll know for sure. It's not about how much truck you have, it's about how it's set up. With that model, you want the front fender returned to unloaded height. If you get it weighed, you want the front axle weight returned to unloaded weight.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #3

To be easiest on the truck (and the driver), you would want the truck and trailer riding close to level. The WDH redistributes the trailer tongue weight from totally on the rear axle and tires to both front and rear.

Also important is the anti-sway features of a WDH. With some brands, sway control is a separate friction device that can be added and adjusted. BTW, having appropriate load range tires and keeping them aired up to nearer the maximum will also reduce sidewall flex and help prevent sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

You definately want to have a WDH that distributes the weight evenly as well as controls the sway. I would not haul a trailer with out one for safety reasons. I have an equalizer WDH and love it.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
You definately want to have a WDH that distributes the weight evenly as well as controls the sway. I would not haul a trailer with out one for safety reasons. I have an equalizer WDH and love it.
Ditto, I also have the equalizer and can't imagine towing without a WDH.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
GMC

Thanks, I really like the equalizer, especially because I have clearance concerns with my particular trailer. I have also seen the Fastway e2 trunnion hitch. Looks like the same thing, even made buy the same people, but it is significantly cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with the e2? It seems the only difference is that the equalizer is made in the USA.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

I don't have any experience with the Fastway e2 hitch. However I can tell you I have been in some windy conditions with my equalizer hitch and others had cheaper hitches. When we got where we were going they said the were white knuckling it all the way. I had no issues what so ever in these conditions. I have always been most concerned about the extreme conditions, thats when you need the anti-sway the most. It may be a couple of hundred bucks more, but to feel safe I feel a couple hundred bucks is cheap!
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #8

2012 Chevy Silverado, towing a 2014 248RBS using an Equalizer hitch. I am within a quarter of an inch of where the truck sits not hooked up after hooking up the trailer. It tows excellent. I usally tow at about 60mph. I know a little slow but that is where I get the best mpg
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra V8 4x4. I'm towing a 154BH. That should be plenty of truck, but I'm curious about what you all think about a WDH with this set up.....snip
I agree, the TV will handle the 154BH (3,200b GVWR), but I would also confirm that the TV receiver's "weight carrying" mode limit is also up to the task should you elect not to use a WDH. If you tend to load your TV/TT on the heavy side, a WDH may help in reducing the weight placed over your TV's rear axle.

At a minimum your TV/TT combination should have a manual friction control sway bar installed, especially with a single axle TT. Also, for optimum TV handling of the 154BH insure that the "loaded" tongue weight is in the 10% to 15% range of the TT's gross loaded weight (closer to 15% would be ideal).

JOF reference thread WDH/154BH (350lb max tongue weight):

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15808

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
GMC

Thanks for the replies. I have towed the trailer a couple of times so far and we did get a significant amount of bounce in the truck. especially when the trailer went over the bump. I do have a sway control bar and have never had any issues with sway but again I'm wanting to take any unnecessary burden off of the truck. The hitch says it allows a TW of 600lbs without WDH. My next question is how close to your TW does your WDH need to be? I mean they offer systems for 400, 600, 800lb, etc., tongue weights. Do I need the closest to my TW without going under, or is there a 100, 200lb window? This is all new to me so thanks for the help.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......My next question is how close to your TW does your WDH need to be? I mean they offer systems for 400, 600, 800lb, etc., tongue weights. Do I need the closest to my TW without going under, or is there a 100, 200lb window?........snip
I would first check for any stickers with a WDH weight rating limit on your TT's A-frame.

On the lighter A-framed TT's/HTT's (less then 3,500lb GVWR) I would tend to stay with the "lite-duty" WDH's if at all possible.

The 154BH worst case loaded tongue weight range would be 10% to 15% of 3,200lbs (GVWR) = 320lbs to 480lbs. With the limited CCC of the 154BH towing near/at GVWR will be easy to do. That being said, I would look for a WDH rated at 500lbs (ideal), but a WDH rated at 600lbs would be my maximum (would require extra care for proper adjustment).

You could go with a WDH rated at 400lbs (or 350lbs as referenced in my prior post 'link'), but it would require maintaining a loaded tongue weight within the respective WDH weight limits, which is very doable.

Ideally a WDH rated that gives you a little tongue weight wiggle room would be great because our loading habits do fluctuate...., normally heavier then lighter.

If choose to go with a WDH, a brief visit to a CAT scale will confirm your weights and WDH adjustments.

CAT scale "how-to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

The equal-i-zer has 4 points of sway control (2 on each side)
@ the bracket on the trailer holding the bar
@ the head of the bar

The e2 has only 2 points. (1 on each side)
@ the bracket on the trailer holding the bar

This video is a bit misleading, Fastway e2 does not carry the equal-i-zer brand. Nor is e4 what the equal-i-zer is called.
but does show that the equal-i-zer bars are hard to swing and the e2's are not.

Quote:
Thanks, I really like the equalizer, especially because I have clearance concerns with my particular trailer. I have also seen the Fastway e2 trunnion hitch. Looks like the same thing, even made buy the same people, but it is significantly cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with the e2? It seems the only difference is that the equalizer is made in the USA.
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

I use the e2 round bar and have no complaints. I have the 600 and tow a 184bh. For this size unit I think its perfect easy and not over kill. Great sway control
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote