Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Wdh question

I was wondering if anyone has measured the actual weight re-distribution when a WDH is properly set up.

Tow Vehicle's Front and Rear axle weights with trailer hooked up, no bars tensioned.

Tow vehicle's Front and Rear axle weights with trailer hooked up and bars set up ready to tow.

Just curious on how much actual weight was taken off the rear axle of the vehicle and how much was added to the front axle.

I understand weight will be moved to the trailer also but I'm only looking at the tow vehicle. Weights would have to taken at a truck scale for accurate effects.

Thanks Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #2

It's been done many times with a CAT scale.

Do a search for CAT scale
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Yes, I have, just like many here and over on RV.net.

BUT, the question it seems you are asking has huge variables. It will vary based on loaded tw, model of tv, the tv manufactures suggested wdh set up (25%,50%, or 100% restored lost weight), and how each tt is loaded.

I don't have the figures handy, but search my posts for another member asking about a 32 BHDS, believe I posted the weights there.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

You are 110% about a visit to the scale. I was surprised by my first results. I was about 50% of the Max trailer weight, so I was welllllll within my weight limits, right? The surprise was I was about 200# below the Rear GAWR with just the Bride, wiener dog and myself. Add another couple and their gear and we were over. Not an extreme over weight condition but definitely over.
It would be convenient if dealers had scales. It could be a help to new shoppers and during the PDI. Oh yeah, and frogs need wings too.
Anyway, the CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I was wondering if anyone has measured the actual weight re-distribution when a WDH is properly set up.

Tow Vehicle's Front and Rear axle weights with trailer hooked up, no bars tensioned.

Tow vehicle's Front and Rear axle weights with trailer hooked up and bars set up ready to tow.

Just curious on how much actual weight was taken off the rear axle of the vehicle and how much was added to the front axle.

I understand weight will be moved to the trailer also but I'm only looking at the tow vehicle. Weights would have to taken at a truck scale for accurate effects.

Thanks Wireman
FWIW, Wireman, I'm taking my 23RLSW out for the first time in just a couple of weeks, and part of my plan for that trip is a CAT scale visit on the way. We're lucky to have one within a couple of miles from my home.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

weight distribution hitch is for safety, more control of vehcile my tt is 4700lbs. Nissan has a sagging problem on rear suspension no idea why coil spring is soft for 5000lbs towing capacity so with WDH helps, although went to scale surprised 460lbs on hitch and trailer loaded was abou 4400.. didn't have much stuff really.
cooljayco12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

You will achieve the same results by just measuring the front fender well. All vehicle MFGs state how to setup your tow vehicle in the owners manual.
They will tell you what % you need to return the front to.
It will be either 100% return or 50-100% return.
If you know the trailers TW and buy the appropriate WD spring bars you should be able to setup the tow vehicle by measuring.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote