Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Wdh vs air bags

Simple video on the difference between air bags and wdh.
https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Thanks for posting this. Exactly why I don't have air bags installed on my truck with a bumper pull TT. I can understand using them while towing a 5'er, different physics involved where air bags would be useful.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Great video and good information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

I liked the video. I would like to see what the weights do with both air bags and WDH. I use both. I have a 2015 F250 6.7L and it has a slightly softer rear end than my older Chevy I sold recently. I was bouncing a little more and down in the rear on my new truck (I maxed out the washers on my Equal-I-Zer hitch). I added air bags to just give me a little lift and less bounce. I have weighed everything a few times and am setup correctly.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

This video sets up the false hypothetical that people will use either a WDH OR air bags. When, in reality, many use both. I use both. I have a standard roundbar WDH from Husky that uses chains to redistribute weight back onto the front wheels and back wheels nearly evenly.

The WDH gets close, but with the air bags AND the WDH, I have zero sag in the back, and the front clearance is identical to what it is when I'm not towing. The difference in ride quality with the air bags and without the air bags is night and day. The air bags make a big difference in ride quality. Instead of having a rear end that bounces around every time I hit the gas, hit the brakes, hit railroad tracks, or any other road imperfection, I have a rear end that takes a considerable amount of force to upset it.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Put me down as a bags + WDH guy. Today's 1/2 ton trucks truck just seem to be a bit too soft sprung and will sag in the back with just a properly setup WDH. 10psi in my bags give me a level line all the way from the front of the truck to the back of the TT for a dead flat towing attitude. Very pleased.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

My jeep has automatic air bags that I can't control. I have towed with improperly adjusted WDH and the front feels floaty. Gave me the shakes. Adjusted the hitch and put the weight back on the front and feels great!

My ride is almost unaffected when the WDH is in proper set point.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

When I have my WDH set properly my truck sits level. Maybe my 2001 F-150 is stiffer sprung than new pickups? I also installed heavy duty shocks that nearly eliminates any bounce. In my case, I really have absolutely no need for air bags.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnnew View Post
When I have my WDH set properly my truck sits level. Maybe my 2001 F-150 is stiffer sprung than new pickups? I also installed heavy duty shocks that nearly eliminates any bounce. In my case, I really have absolutely no need for air bags.

With the airbags empty and the WDH engaged, the truck sits level. That's all great. When I hit a bump or rough road, the weight of the tongue and everything else on it (propane tanks, hitch, battery) causes the back end to dip and bounce. Makes for an uncomfortable ride at the best of times, dangerous at the worst. Nothing like hitting a bump mid-corner and having the back of the truck bounce around.

The airbags improve ride quality and handling. Something that most stock springs and a properly setup WDH can't do on their own.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I liked the video. I would like to see what the weights do with both air bags and WDH. I use both. I have a 2015 F250 6.7L and it has a slightly softer rear end than my older Chevy I sold recently. I was bouncing a little more and down in the rear on my new truck (I maxed out the washers on my Equal-I-Zer hitch). I added air bags to just give me a little lift and less bounce. I have weighed everything a few times and am setup correctly.
What tw are your wd bars rated for? If you had to max the tilt of the hitch head, your wd bars may not be rated high enough for your loaded tw.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:39 AM   #11

I use both and wouldn't have it any other way. If you have bounce either at the tongue or the rear, it's set up wrong. The idea for airbags is to combat sway and porpoising.

But let me be clear, if you have a very heavy RV, it'll always have a slight bit of bounce. It's inevitable with the heavier weights and setup parameters and also road conditions. TV's are not invincible and will have some inadequacies with heavy units. Unless of course you have a F550-F750 with 8 high spring stacks in the rear. The object is to make the ride as smooth as you can by having the optimal setup. A lot of times, that means you may still have a slight bounce. But, it would be much worse without the bags. It's going to with heavy, especially tongue heavy or rear heavy, RV's. Front living 5'ers are very heavy up front and definitely put strain on 1 ton trucks unless they have airbags or some other auxiliary suspension system. Get it dialed in as best you can. If you get it dialed in to the best of the ability of the hitch and bags and you still have excessive bounce, you need a vehicle with a higher payload.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
What tw are your wd bars rated for? If you had to max the tilt of the hitch head, your wd bars may not be rated high enough for your loaded tw.
I have weighed everything multiple times - my bars are 14K rated - Over 4K higher than I need. I talked with Equal-I-Zer a few times about it and they said they have heard the F250's are known for dipping a little more than the Chevy. Makes for a better ride empty but a little more sag than I want with the trailer attached.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
I have weighed everything multiple times - my bars are 14K rated - Over 4K higher than I need. I talked with Equal-I-Zer a few times about it and they said they have heard the F250's are known for dipping a little more than the Chevy. Makes for a better ride empty but a little more sag than I want with the trailer attached.
What is your loaded, ready to camp tw? I have heard the F250's are a little softer vs the GM Twins, just seems crazy it's that much.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
What is your loaded, ready to camp tw? I have heard the F250's are a little softer vs the GM Twins, just seems crazy it's that much.
1220lb's - but I am not sure if I am looking at my last chevy weight slip or my ford. Here is a screen capture of the last one I could find. I want to say that is my chevy as I think the ford has a higher front axle weight - if my memory is correct.

Attached Thumbnails
25420753275_5ca0c391cf_o.jpg  

Old 03-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
With the airbags empty and the WDH engaged, the truck sits level. That's all great. When I hit a bump or rough road, the weight of the tongue and everything else on it (propane tanks, hitch, battery) causes the back end to dip and bounce. Makes for an uncomfortable ride at the best of times, dangerous at the worst. Nothing like hitting a bump mid-corner and having the back of the truck bounce around.

The airbags improve ride quality and handling. Something that most stock springs and a properly setup WDH can't do on their own.
I was experiencing the "bounce" too with my old shock absorbers. After installing the heavy duty shocks, bounce was reduced considerably. I just wonder if heavy duty shocks are essentially doing the same thing as installing air bags (at least in a TT towing situation)?

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
1220lb's - but I am not sure if I am looking at my last chevy weight slip or my ford. Here is a screen capture of the last one I could find. I want to say that is my chevy as I think the ford has a higher front axle weight - if my memory is correct.

Looking back at some pictures taken around that same time, I am thinking that is my ford. I can't find any pictures for my chevy weights. Here is my ford sticker
Attached Thumbnails
25121899530_70531d89d5_o.jpg