Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

Wdh vs no wdh

I'm a newbie, buying a 2007 jayfeather 23b and will be pulling with a 2015 suburban. Is a wdh a must?
pwlong19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

There really is no reason not to have a WDH, it helps to maintain stability in you tow vehicle, improves your steering control, and dampens the bounce from the extra weight on your hitch. The benefits are too many to list, the only con is the cost to invest in the WDH.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
There really is no reason not to have a WDH, it helps to maintain stability in you tow vehicle, improves your steering control, and dampens the bounce from the extra weight on your hitch. The benefits are too many to list, the only con is the cost to invest in the WDH.
X2. I would also add an anti-sway bar as well. It minimizes the sway from passing trucks and cross winds. I would not tow any Travel trailer without WDH and Anti-sway....
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
X2. I would also add an anti-sway bar as well. It minimizes the sway from passing trucks and cross winds. I would not tow any Travel trailer without WDH and Anti-sway....
X3. I am towing a 2014 Whitehawk 28DSBH with a Blue Ox WHD and anti-sway bar setup on a 2013 Tahoe and wouldn't consider towing without a WDH/anti-swap bar setup.
cppeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #5

X4 on using one.

Even though my F-350 is way more truck than the 19RD needs, the WDH makes the truck's handling closer to normal when towing.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Yep ^ We always use ours even though we're only towing at 55% of our max TV rating with a 3,800# TT and a 2500HD TV.

Don't really need it for weight distribution, but as others have mentioned it definitely makes handling better and the anti-sway function is a must for us.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

On your application I would definitely want one. It's not always needed though. I towed our old 24' keystone with my F350 and never considered one because the trailer was less than 1/3 of my payload and tow rating. Pulled like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #8

Check the specs on your vehicle! The receiver itself has limits for maximum tongue weight, both with and without a WDH. You may be surprised on how little you can tow (as compared to the vehicle's "tow rating") without a WDH.
In many cases, there is a sticker on the receiver itself.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Convinced. Thank you all. Planning on getting the Blue Ox 550. Is there still a need for a friction sway control bar or is this model good enough as is?
pwlong19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlong19 View Post
Convinced. Thank you all. Planning on getting the Blue Ox 550. Is there still a need for a friction sway control bar or is this model good enough as is?
The Blue Ox is already designed to control sway as well as weight distribution so you do not need to add a separate sway control bar. One thing to check though is if your trailer has an underslung coupler. Not sure if Jayco used them that far back or not. Make sure you get the right version of the Blue Ox 550 for your coupler setup.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm a newbie, buying a 2007 jayfeather 23b and will be pulling with a 2015 suburban. Is a wdh a must?
Look at your tow vehicle manual. It may actually be a "must".
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #12

Wdh vs no wdh

Quote:

Blue OX WDH hitches have sway control built in by design. I've used a Blue OX hitches on both of my campers and have very happy with them.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #13

Most vehicles the threshold for a WDH is 500 lbs tongue weight or 5,000 lbs trailer weight.

We have a JayFeather 7 19BH and do not use a WDH.
spotdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotdog14 View Post
Most vehicles the threshold for a WDH is 500 lbs tongue weight or 5,000 lbs trailer weight.

We have a JayFeather 7 19BH and do not use a WDH.
X2
Pulling our little Jay Feather with the Suburban using the stock GM "tow-package" hitch has been great.

That said, I 'm still considering upgrading, just don't feel rushed since this setup has pulled so smoothly.
fricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
x 1 million
Tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

PW,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Even though you have a lighter tt, there is still a good chance if you don't use a wdh, you could be exceeding the factory mounted receiver hitch on the 'Burb. Some have two different tw (tongue weight) ratings, for weight carrying (without a wdh) and with a wdh. Chances are you would probably be better off using one even if slightly under the rating.

Are you buying the tt from a dealer or private owner? There was a good chance you may need to readjust the wdh once you have the tt loaded, even if andealer sets it up initially. Reason is they are only setting it up to an empty trailer. And if from a private owner, chances are the tv (tow vehicle) is different, so you will need to set the wdh up to your truck. If needed, follow my signature link(s) for a ton of wdh info.

Due to how high the receiver hitch is on the 'Burb, you may need to buy a new shank, the part that slides into the receiver hitch, and the hitch head bolts to. You want the tt to be level, or slightly nose down for the best towing. Also make sure you have enough tw, otherwise easy can and will happen if there is to much weight behind the axles.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!! Even for advice on accessories.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
We have a Jay Feather X213 at just 5500 pound max, and while the F-150 will tow it acceptably without a WDH, I use one anyway. It really does help to put more weight back on the front tires, and it raises the tongue load limit on my receiver from 600 to 1100 pounds. Since my TT runs 700+/- on the tongue, I'm far more comfortable with my Husky Centerline TS.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

Last year we had to move sites halfway through a weekend because "someone" had messed up while making the reservations. So we had to hook up the trailer and move it. Thinking I'd save some time, I didn't install the WDH bars, since we were just going from the old site to the campground office, and then to the new site.

Never again. Even though it was just a short distance down low-speed campground roads, I really didn't like the way the truck handled at all. I didn't feel as in control as I normally do when everything is hooked up properly. Now, the only time I tow the trailer without the bars is when I'm hooking it up and moving it onto the street where it's much easier to finish the job, less than 100 feet away where I'm not blocking traffic and I don't have to deal with a slope. But actual travel? Nope.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #19

It may or may not be overkill, but I would not leave home without it, WDH, that is.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
PW,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Even though you have a lighter tt, there is still a good chance if you don't use a wdh, you could be exceeding the factory mounted receiver hitch on the 'Burb. Some have two different tw (tongue weight) ratings, for weight carrying (without a wdh) and with a wdh. Chances are you would probably be better off using one even if slightly under the rating.

Are you buying the tt from a dealer or private owner? There was a good chance you may need to readjust the wdh once you have the tt loaded, even if andealer sets it up initially. Reason is they are only setting it up to an empty trailer. And if from a private owner, chances are the tv (tow vehicle) is different, so you will need to set the wdh up to your truck. If needed, follow my signature link(s) for a ton of wdh info.

Due to how high the receiver hitch is on the 'Burb, you may need to buy a new shank, the part that slides into the receiver hitch, and the hitch head bolts to. You want the tt to be level, or slightly nose down for the best towing. Also make sure you have enough tw, otherwise easy can and will happen if there is to much weight behind the axles.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!! Even for advice on accessories.

Good luck!!!
For the best towing............you want to be level or slightly nose HIGH, NOT nose down.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote