Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

WDHs and TV with airbags

Greetings!

New 2017 Jayco 24RBS, towing with a 2000 Ford F350 Superduty 4x4 short box crewcab AT with a V10 and a set of Firestone airbags on the rear springs (have to air by hand, though...no on-board compressor). Got a different WDH from the one we used on our prior 23FB...this one is an Eaz-Lift R3 with the sway control in the head. Haven't installed it yet...VERY short drive home from the dealer on city streets, so didn't really need it.

We never really bothered with the airbags with the prior trailer...the air bags were on he truck when I bought it as the prior owner hauled a camper in the bed and wanted some extra stability.

Once home, I did some basic measurements with the trailer hooked up on a level surface; I had to go to about 50 psi in the rear bags from the normal 5-10 psi I run empty to get the rear of the truck back to the same empty weight ground-to-bottom of fender well measurement. Jayco says 620 pounds "hitch weight", 5420 "ship weight" and GVWR of 7500...I doubt if our loaded trailer weight will be much over 6300 to 6400 pounds. (Should I have measured the unloaded/loaded front end gaps instead of the rear?)

If I towed the trailer without a WDH and that much sag, I'd expect it'd be pretty light in the front end and subject to some "John Deere" steering!

So....first question....set the WDH up with minimal air (truck level with no tongue weight), or set it up at the 50 psi it took to level things out WITH the tongue weight?

Once the WDH is set up properly, what is the correct sequence for hooking up? As follows?

-Minimum air in bags, drop ball on hitch, raise front end of trailer with tongue jack, install/secure draw bars...
-Lower front of trailer with tongue jack and raise foot all the way up...
-Add air to the truck's airbags to get the rear of truck/front of trailer level

I don't want airing up the bags to counteract any of the sway control or weight transfer benefit from the WDH (or vice versa, for that matter)...and I assume I'll have to tinker a bit to find that "sweet spot".

I've always aimed for "front of trailer level" but I see some folks in here advocate for a slight "front down" aspect?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or info!

Cheers,

Bendmac
Bend, Oregon
Bendmac is offline   Reply With Quote