Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #41

I am a bit of a TT newbie, but not new to pulling. I am in the same pickle with my 2013 Ram. No payload at all. I guess, and keep in mind this is just my humble opinion, if you're within a few hundred pounds and you feel ok with it- make a few changes like bags and tires listed above, hook up and go. I am not condoning over loading your truck, but let's face it- any of us towing with a half ton have to compromise. For me, I tow this trailer 6 days a year. The other 349 days my truck is a multi-tool/ family transport. I didn't want a stripped base model again and can't afford an animal like a f250 in my driveway that isn't earning its keep.

This is just my thoughts. It may or may not coincide with any laws around you. Here, they only check GCWR. By hand calculation I will be 200lbs and change over GVWR. My previous F150 had 1497lbs payload, but after I swapped out the gummy-worm SR/A tires, and added 300lbs of 3/16th" skid plates and 80lbs worth of audio, I fully suspect it actually had LESS available payload than my Ram, and it towed confidently with no issues. Though, my TT is only 5500lbs...
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #42

Wow, quite a bit of information and knowledge learned here.
Over the years I have been in the same boat, towed our previous Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel with a 2003 1500HD 6.0 w 3.73 Axle Ratio, it did ok but was overloaded and it struggled, we moved up to a 2007 2500HD Duramax, wow what a difference and a pleasure to tow our 5er.
Then we did it all over again, still had the 2007 2500HD and bought our current Jayco Pinnacle, the 2500HD pulled the trailer fine, stopping was ok but on a windy day you had to hang on pretty tight.
We just bought more trailer than we had truck for, we were overweight and overloaded again, so we moved up to our current 3500HD DRW, wow what a difference, we are well within our limits and driving in all conditions is a pleasure again.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #43

Re: Weighed my 2013 Ram today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
I am a bit of a TT newbie, but not new to pulling. I am in the same pickle with my 2013 Ram. No payload at all. I guess, and keep in mind this is just my humble opinion, if you're within a few hundred pounds and you feel ok with it- make a few changes like bags and tires listed above, hook up and go. I am not condoning over loading your truck, but let's face it- any of us towing with a half ton have to compromise. For me, I tow this trailer 6 days a year. The other 349 days my truck is a multi-tool/ family transport. I didn't want a stripped base model again and can't afford an animal like a f250 in my driveway that isn't earning its keep.

This is just my thoughts. It may or may not coincide with any laws around you. Here, they only check GCWR. By hand calculation I will be 200lbs and change over GVWR. My previous F150 had 1497lbs payload, but after I swapped out the gummy-worm SR/A tires, and added 300lbs of 3/16th" skid plates and 80lbs worth of audio, I fully suspect it actually had LESS available payload than my Ram, and it towed confidently with no issues. Though, my TT is only 5500lbs...
Apparently I forgot how to math. That should read 359 days per year.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Shouldn't you be looking at the GCWR rather than the GVWR?
Answer: Yes
Boss Wagon, totally agree, think to myself, this does not sound right because Dodge trucks at least the 3500 Ram has the highest towing payload available as of 2013-14!!! I have a Ram 3500 Megacab, drw, Laramie 6.7 Cummins with the shortbed and have no problem pulling a Jayco Eagle 31.5 RSTL 5th wheel!!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
snip....... this does not sound right because Dodge trucks at least the 3500 Ram has the highest towing payload available as of 2013-14!!! I have a Ram 3500 Megacab, drw, Laramie 6.7 Cummins with the shortbed and have no problem pulling a Jayco Eagle 31.5 RSTL 5th wheel!!!!
Look at any given manufacture's 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton truck line-up in their respective published towing guide. Note the specified Payload Capacities/Curb Weights of similar models in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton versions. You will find that the "percent" Payload Capacities of associated Curb Weights increase from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton, and 3/4 ton to 1 ton...., unfortunately almost every time the 1/2 ton versions fall short in the "percent-of" comparisons. When you add similar vehicle options, passenger, and cargo weights to the 1/2 ton truck most find the actual remaining (available) payload capacity is limited.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote