Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Weighed The White Hawk 28DSBH

After reading many posts about trailer weights and the need to weigh the TT to make sure the weight distribution hitch is set up properly I decided to make the scale the first place I towed our new Jayco.

Picked a very windy day to take delivery (gusts to 30 mph). We took the ride to the scale and well lets just say for the first time pulling something this big it was a handfull in that wind. After getting to the scale and weighing the trailer I knew why, the dealer did not properly set up the hitch (we have a Reese Dual Cam, 1200 lb bars).

My wife and myself in the truck and 1/2 tank gas.
First trip across scale - front axle 3320, rear axle 3760, TT 5280; total 12360
Truck alone (-1 160 lb passenger) front axle 3400, rear axle 2760

2nd trip across scale with trailer and truck with my wife and I.
I went up one link on the chains.
front axle 3540, rear axle 3420, TT 5400

Look at the differance in the axle weights especially the rear axle, I was very suprised.

I figure the trailer weighs in at 6040 with full propane and battery, the sticker says 6001. The listed dry weight by Jayco in the sales brochures is 5455, big difference. Somewhere the trailer gained 500 lbs, I was hoping to use that 500 lbs.

The GRAW in the truck is basically 3900 lbs, there is a slight difference between the front and the rear. All this means is I am near what the truck can do and I will have to be judicous in how I load the truck and the trailer. I know that I will have to weigh again once I get it all loaded but at least I know my starting point.

Needless to say the ride to the storage facility was much more relaxing after the adjustment, in the same 25-30 Mph gusts.

Moral of the story is that if you don't weigh it you don't actually know if your setup is correct or not.

First full trip planned in two weeks to Falls Creek State Park, TN....Can't wait!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
Moral of the story is that if you don't weigh it you don't actually know if your setup is correct or not.
2x!
Enjoy the trip.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

This is an interesting read. It is surprising one link can change weights that much. I did the same thing with my fifth wheel last weekend. The trailer is not loaded yet, so empty it weights 4,460 lbs. on rear axle, and 4,160 lbs. on front axle. I raised my hitch one notch for more bed clearance. I now have 6-8 inches of bed clearance which is acceptable. I measured level of the trailer frame and truck, both are sitting nearly perfect level. I found it interesting that there was 300 lbs. difference between axles, even though the trailer is sitting level. I'll hit the scales again loaded later on just to see what changes, but I don't think I'll make anymore adjustments for what it's worth. The front end of unit will be loaded down, really nothing will be added in back. Thanks for sharing.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

So how many links are you using?
Old 04-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

I moved it to the 5th link. But I also had to change the angle on the hitch (that was wrong also) so I moved it back to the 6th link.

Once I get it loaded we will weigh it again but I think I am going to move it back to the 5th link. We will see.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
snip......Moral of the story is that if you don't weigh it you don't actually know if your setup is correct or not.....snip
Well stated!

It appears you found out how much the UVW's can very from Published Web Site/Brochure weights and actual Ship Weights, something that everyone needs to be aware of. The delta weight differs by model/configuration, but can be as little as 100lbs, and I've seen as much as 800lbs.

Your correct, once you have you TV/TT combination under loaded conditions, your next visit to the CAT scale will be the most important confirmation.

CAT Scale, a complete TV/TT combination 'How-To': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Please post back the your results from the next CAT scale visit, I'm sure other 28DSBH owners (or those considering) will be interested.

Also, feel free to post a couple "close-up" pics of your Reese HP Dual Cam with your TV/TT hitched-up, I'm sure many folks would like to see what it looks like with your TV/TT combination.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28dsbh, trailer weight, weight distribution