Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
I've also been following some threads at other RV forums on the subject of Ford & GM "50%" front fender height return, and a 50% to 100% weight return seems to be an acceptable range depending on the vehicle in question. What I have seen noted on a number of occasions is that dropping the TV's front fender height "below" it's unhitched height with WDH usage is not recomended..., which we knew (avoiding an oversteer condition).

I have yet to run across any data addressing the relationship of 50% front fender "height" return and how it relates to front suspension "weight" value return.

In a thread at RV.NET I did find the following statement of interest: "I think Ford and others are using front-end height only as an indicator of axle load. They probably assume many more people will attempt to measure height changes than will go to a scales and measure load changes. Unfortunately, it's the load changes which are the important parameter."

Source: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...3.cfm#26769143

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
.....snip..... Ford, in a customer service response, states a 50% return is desired because you have to factor in all things in the TVís setup. These would both be height measurements because of how the measurements are taken. ......snip......
A couple things come to mind when I was thinking about this;
1. Many Ford truck owners are contractors who tow large utility trailers. When Ford makes recommendations, they will try to encompass all their owners/users.
2. When they say you have to factor all things in the set-up, perhaps they mean when an owner such as a contractor sets up a hitch, they likely do so with none of their crew in the truck, and maybe not all their tools. Maybe this is what is meant by "factoring in all things in the TV set-up"???

David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #53
David472, That was part of the discussion I had with Ford. I suggested a contractor might load a truck heavy in the rear with an air compressor, welder, tools, etc., and the front end might never return to where it was before they started. I'll bet there's far more work applications than recreational, and yes, they do have to satisfy those folks too.

They wouldn't get into any engineering applications, and stayed close to the customer service script. That's to be expected.

Edit: I would never recommend to any one that close is good enough, but there is probably more than a few folks who are in that category. I wonder what percentage of TV's have between 50 and 100% weight return?

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote