Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #1

Weight transfer question

As you may have seen in my other posts I am trying to get my truck set up properly to get the best performance I can. I went to the scales and was surprised to find out my weight transfer wasn't within the desired specs as described in the sticky post about setting up a hitch.

The front end of my truck is 200 lbs lighter loaded than unloaded. I have 1/2" of front end rise as measured at the front fender of my truck. I have the washers on my EAZ lift maxed out at 8 giving it as much angle (transfer) as I can. The load bars are parallel to the camper frame. I have 660 lbs of tongue weight with 800 lb load bars on the hitch.

The advice I have been given by 2 local RV dealers is that if it is stable and tracking good while towing (which it is but I haven't taken it to the mountains yet) I have enough weight on the front end I am good to go...don't worry about it.

Just want a sanity check on this advice...
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

I have a tongue weight when loaded of around 500. I decided to go with the 800lb bars to give myself some wiggle room. Initially my bars were parallel also and I found the ride a little spongy, especially if the black tank was loaded between campsites (I'd do this to splosh it around before emptying). So I went one link more on the chains. The bars point upwards but the ride is more comfortable and the rise in the front is 1/2". Does that mean that I should have went with 1000lb so that the bars are parallel? I doubt it. I have also noticed a big difference from when we bought the trailer (this is our first TT), and how I would load the TV and the TT makes a big difference to the ride and handling. My two cents I would go one more link on the chain as long as it is more than clear enough from the TT frame and give that a try.
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A couple thoughts come to mind:

* Referencing your 200lb delta, did you weigh your loaded TV/TT combo with "all" passengers......, passenger weight (% of) will add weight to the front suspension.

* A slight 'upward' angle on the spring bars is ok, but confirm (in a parking lot) that during sharp TV turns the spring bar tails don't bind on the TT A-frame (as mentioned) and the leading edge of the TT A-frame clears the ball mount and bars.

* Check your specific TV owners manual in the Towing Section and look for reference to towing with a WDH. "Some" of the newer full size TV's state the WDH can be adjusted to eliminate "50%" of front suspension rise..., which translates into that not all the weight has to be returned. Example: If the front suspension 'rise' was 2" unhitched, then 1" hitched is acceptable.

* Is your loaded TT tongue within 13% to 15% of your TT's loaded gross weight....., relocate TT cargo if exceeding 15%.

* Locate heavy cargo in the TV bed to the front of the TV's rear axle.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

Do you have enough room to drop your hitch one set of bolt holes on the shank? That would give you more force on the bars when you snap them up, changes the angle relative to the snap up brackets.
Ran into the same thing with my old Reese hitch when setting it for the first time. A little downward pitch to the trailer won't hurt, sometimes it's better that way than level.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 AM   #5

* Referencing your 200lb delta, did you weigh your loaded TV/TT combo with "all" passengers......, passenger weight (% of) will add weight to the front suspension.

Good point, it was not with normal passenger load. I will check this when I get a chance

* A slight 'upward' angle on the spring bars is ok, but confirm (in a parking lot) that during sharp TV turns the spring bar tails don't bind on the TT A-frame (as mentioned) and the leading edge of the TT A-frame clears the ball mount and bars.

I will try to get another link on the chain and see if that changes things

* Check your specific TV owners manual in the Towing Section and look for reference to towing with a WDH. "Some" of the newer full size TV's state the WDH can be adjusted to eliminate "50%" of front suspension rise..., which translates into that not all the weight has to be returned. Example: If the front suspension 'rise' was 2" unhitched, then 1" hitched is acceptable.

Owner's manual doesn't specify

* Is your loaded TT tongue within 13% to 15% of your TT's loaded gross weight....., relocate TT cargo if exceeding 15%.

My tongue weight is 10.65% but this is not loaded to go camping. I load camping gear and clothes to the rear of the TT because I am at my or slightly over my GVWR...interesting, I hadn't calculated my tongue weight %

* Locate heavy cargo in the TV bed to the front of the TV's rear axle.

I don't put anything in my truck...see previous bullet above

Lots of food for thought, thanks. BTW I am contemplating a 3/4 ton rig as I type this. More to come.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
Do you have enough room to drop your hitch one set of bolt holes on the shank? That would give you more force on the bars when you snap them up, changes the angle relative to the snap up brackets.
Ran into the same thing with my old Reese hitch when setting it for the first time. A little downward pitch to the trailer won't hurt, sometimes it's better that way than level.
I think the net sum gain as far as weight transfer of this would be the same as moving the chain up a link...correct? Am I understanding you correctly?
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

How does it feel when towing? Does it feel like you have normal steering control? If not then you have more adjusting to do. If it feels fine then you may not need to do anything.

I checked the manual and was surprised not to see a spec for this. GM says to adjust the hitch so that the stock height is returned to the front end. Ford says it can be only half the distance.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
I think the net sum gain as far as weight transfer of this would be the same as moving the chain up a link...correct? Am I understanding you correctly?
Probably about the same, you may be able to leave a washer or two out from where you are now though if you lower the hitch. Trial and error, it took me a while to get mine right too. If I recall a washer was about equal to half a chain link, I even went as far as using a thinner star washer for half of that.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote