Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #1

Weights and measures from our maiden voyage.

Took our new 23RB out for the weeked. It was a 166 mile one way pull. The F150 and 23RB were very civilized the entire trip.

I weighed both truck and trailer the morning we left. The following are the weights of both truck and trailer. The truck was rigged for normal towing duties which means it had the various tools I carry with me and 2 Honda 2K generators, extended run tank and 3 gas cans, an air compressor and 2.5 ton floor jack. The trailer has according to the idiot gauges, 2/3 fresh water which is approximately 60 gallons, give or take a few gallons.

My F150 is a 2014 model. It's an XLT, 4x4, Supercab, 8 ft bed, with Max Tow and Heavy Duty PP. the FGAWR = 4050#, RGAWR = 4800#, GVWR = 8200#, CCC = 2286#, and GCWR = 17,100#.

The 23RB's numbers are as follows. GAWR = 3500# each, GVWR = 6500#, Factory Shipped Weight = 4758#, CCC = 1742#.

WDH and sway control is via the Blue Ox Sway Pro, BXW1000. It has the 1000# spring bars.

I used the CAT scales at the TA Travel Plaza about a mile from my house to weigh my rig. I weighed the truck w/o trailer, with trailer but without the spring bars engaged, and with spring bars engaged. The following are the weigh ticket numbers.

Steer Axle = 3660#, Drive Axle = 3340#, Gross Weight = 7000#.

SA = 3340#, DA = 4640#, Trailer Axle = 5320#, GW = 13,300#.

SA = 3580#, DA = 4280#, TA = 5460#, GW = 13320#.

Those numbers look reasonable to everyone. Also, is there a way to figure out the approximate tongue weight from the foregoing numbers?

Thanks

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

TW is 980# about 15.5% of you trailer weigh. If your truck tow with no problem and truck and trailer sit level, then it is perfect. If it was my truck I would reduce tw by about 150# and leverage more TW to front of truck.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #3

Would going from 9th chain length on the Blue Ox Sway Pro, to 10th chain length move a little more tongue weight to the front axle?

That 15.5% was a little disturbing to me. Mainly because I want to, within a year, go from the paltry group 24 battery to a pair of 6 volt batteries. During football season, I can shed some weight in the pass through storage by leaving my grills at home. Another guy in our football tailgate group always brings a large 3 burner grill, smoker, and turkey cooker. I have a telescoping ladder in the pass through that I'm going to take out now.

I also must find a way to accurately measure how many gallons of fresh water I take. For most of my trips, 1/3 is too little, and 2/3 is too much.

It would make it a lot easier if I could just shut off one of the twin 42 gallon tanks my 23RB has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
TW is 980# about 15.5% of you trailer weigh. If your truck tow with no problem and truck and trailer sit level, then it is perfect. If it was my truck I would reduce tw by about 150# and leverage more TW to front of truck.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Atlee;548642]Would going from 9th chain length on the Blue Ox Sway Pro, to 10th chain length move a little more tongue weight to the front axle?

I don't have any experience on the Blue Ox sway but if you want more weight transfer to front of truck you have to shorten the chain so you want it on 8 links. If it is perfect, I wouldn't mess with it. Carrying water with you definitely increases your TW. If possible get water at campsite or closer to where you're going to be camping. My 28BHBE TW went up by 300# when I fill up my 76 gallon water tank using TW scale from Shoreline.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

With the Blue Ox, going from 9th to 10th length chain would have the effect of shorting the chain.

[QUOTE=SOMBATFAMILY;548664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Would going from 9th chain length on the Blue Ox Sway Pro, to 10th chain length move a little more tongue weight to the front axle?

I don't have any experience on the Blue Ox sway but if you want more weight transfer to front of truck you have to shorten the chain so you want it on 8 links. If it is perfect, I wouldn't mess with it. Carrying water with you definitely increases your TW. If possible get water at campsite or closer to where you're going to be camping. My 28BHBE TW went up by 300# when I fill up my 76 gallon water tank using TW scale from Shoreline.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

Congrats on your new TT and a successful trip.
I agree with Sombat that your tongue may be a touch heavy. I put your #'s into my weight spreadsheet and am attaching a screen shot. (I don't guarantee my calculations are correct but I believe them to be)
Hope you see many trouble free miles!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weights.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	33369

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Yes, I want to lighten the tongue some. I carry one of those telescoping ladders that extends out to 12 ft long. That is the first thing I'm pulling out of the the trailer pass through storage. I'm also pulling out the gas grill and the gas stove. I will not need them this fall during football season. Someone else carries a full kitchen setup. Late next spring when I want to go to Yellowstone and other places in the high plains states, I'll have to put them back, but I may just put them in my truck bed. I have a little leeway there.

Unfortunately I also want to take out the 45# Group 24 battery and add a couple of golf cart batteries which will add 120+# back to the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I agree with Sombat that your tongue may be a touch heavy. I put your #'s into my weight spreadsheet and am attaching a screen shot. (I don't guarantee my calculations are correct but I believe them to be)
Attachment 33369

Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

I noticed in your spread sheet, that with the WDH in use, the Tongue Weight is 14% at 860#. Am I reading that correctly? Does that mean that tongue weight number is more important or is the total tongue weight the most important number?

Quote:
Attachment 33369

Old 07-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
I noticed in your spread sheet, that with the WDH in use, the Tongue Weight is 14% at 860#. Am I reading that correctly? Does that mean that tongue weight number is more important or is the total tongue weight the most important number?

That's a good question Atlee. In both cases (Bars and no Bars) the TW calculation is the difference between the TV weight with and without the TT.

I believe the TW without bars is the more important, to me that's the "real" TW. The bars are trying to lift the TV's rear axle which removes some of the weight from it and causes the weights on the front axle and TT axle to increase.
As I understand the TW % is a measurement to predict how well the TT will follow its TV. The 10-15% seems to be the recommended range. Outside of that and sway may be increased. If you are over (or under) with and without bars I'd expect that to be a warning that I might be more susceptible to sway. If only one # was high or low I'd probably worry quite a bit less.

Anyway, that's how I see it and I hope I haven't added too much confusion.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

Ok. Today, I took out 71# from the pass through storage. I know it's not exactly 71# from the ball, but that weight is about 6 feet behind the ball.

Quote:
Yes, I want to lighten the tongue some. I carry one of those telescoping ladders that extends out to 12 ft long. That is the first thing I'm pulling out of the the trailer pass through storage. I'm also pulling out the gas grill and the gas stove. I will not need them this fall during football season. Someone else carries a full kitchen setup. Late next spring when I want to go to Yellowstone and other places in the high plains states, I'll have to put them back, but I may just put them in my truck bed. I have a little leeway there.

Unfortunately I also want to take out the 45# Group 24 battery and add a couple of golf cart batteries which will add 120+# back to the tongue.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #11

Thanks for the explanation.

As I noted earlier, during this trip, the truck and trailer behaved themselves very well. They were quite civilized. No sway was ever detected by me, and I was never affected by passing 18 wheelers.

Quote:
That's a good question Atlee. In both cases (Bars and no Bars) the TW calculation is the difference between the TV weight with and without the TT.

I believe the TW without bars is the more important, to me that's the "real" TW. The bars are trying to lift the TV's rear axle which removes some of the weight from it and causes the weights on the front axle and TT axle to increase.
As I understand the TW % is a measurement to predict how well the TT will follow its TV. The 10-15% seems to be the recommended range. Outside of that and sway may be increased. If you are over (or under) with and without bars I'd expect that to be a warning that I might be more susceptible to sway. If only one # was high or low I'd probably worry quite a bit less.

Anyway, that's how I see it and I hope I haven't added too much confusion.