Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Good posts MIkey throughout this thread. I'm going to use this info to weigh my TV and TT and all the other mathematical equations you've listed here. In the end I'm left with whatever the math tells me because I'm not buying a larger rig until this one has done it's time. Thanks for sharing!
I hear you! Based upon your equipment, I think we're in similar shape - both able to stay within limits if we manage carefully.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #22

Well OP. I weighed tonight. Family of four in a 2016 F150 Supercrew. I have 590 pounds of payload left. Subtract 50# for the WDH, leaves 540#. Take a 6,000# trailer, with 13% tongue weight, puts me 240# over already, and I don't even have the 70# four-legged ball of fuzz in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #23

Tho it's not the best news I figure it's better to know than guess.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
(...)
He’d be over by about 100 lbs. If he goes with something like a ProPride he’ll be over almost 200 lbs. If his tongue weight comes in around 1,000 lbs. (and I think 910 is conservative for a 2016 28DSBH) he’ll be over almost 300 lbs. Whether he’s comfortable with that is a different question, but I’m guessing he’ll end up at/over his truck’s cargo capacity.
I just weighted the TW of my 28DSBH. It is less than 700 LBS with ProPride hitch. It is around 10% of the trailer weight, which is perfect for me as PP hitch requires less TW for stability and I tow max 60 mph. Actually, when I start bringing my bikes in the back of the trailer, I would need to think about putting more cargo forward to the axles.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ger-44430.html

As I mentioned, I have batteries, inverter, etc. also moved to the back of the trailer, under the bunk bed.

Empty tanks, 2x20 lbs full propane tanks, chairs / table and also chocks, etc. in the front storage compartment, heavy stuff goes to the trailer above the axles.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
snip......It is around 10% of the trailer weight, which is perfect for me as PP hitch requires less TW for stability.......snip
Hmm, I don't want to open a conversation on the subject in this thread, but I'm curious how the Pro Pride WDH "requires less TW for stability". Guess I need to look into the product a little further.

Just a curious mind at work here

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #26

It has to do with the geometry of the hitch. The camper can not physically induce sway. Watch the video's...it is quite the mechanical device!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #27

I am not an engineer, but my understanding is that PP or Hensley are hitches that are projecting pivot point to near the rear axle. This results in a better stability of the TT and TV. It is achieved with less TW.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #28

Quote:
I just weighted the TW of my 28DSBH. It is less than 700 LBS with ProPride hitch. It is around 10% of the trailer weight, which is perfect for me as PP hitch requires less TW for stability and I tow max 60 mph. Actually, when I start bringing my bikes in the back of the trailer, I would need to think about putting more cargo forward to the axles.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ger-44430.html

As I mentioned, I have batteries, inverter, etc. also moved to the back of the trailer, under the bunk bed.

Empty tanks, 2x20 lbs full propane tanks, chairs / table and also chocks, etc. in the front storage compartment, heavy stuff goes to the trailer above the axles.
My friend, that's an amazing accomplishment. I have no idea how your loaded trailer has a tongue weight that's barely above its dry weight of 680 lbs. Is the ProPride that effective? I looked at your linked post and see that 900 lbs IS what you weigh under the tongue jack, but not at the stinger. I'll be honest, my liberal arts brain lacks the engineering chops to understand the physics of it all. Guess I need to check out the ProPride, because if it can do that for me, my half TON truck would gain about 300 lbs of payload and I could stop thinking about upsizing to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Forever.

Has anyone else had Bono's experience with the ProPride in terms of lessening hitch weight? Id like to hear/learn more about it.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... It is around 10% of the trailer weight, which is perfect for me as PP hitch requires less TW for stability.......snip
Ok, it's not that the actual tongue weight at the TT coupler requires less weight, it's just that the measured weight further up at the 'stinger' is less.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #30

I think there are two separate issues. One is that the length of the stinger decreases the actual tongue weight, i.e. the force that TT adds to TV. Second, completely independent, is that Propride by design does not require as high TW as other hitches for stability.

I am still learning so if somebody more experienced than me thinks otherwise, please do correct me.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

I have not read anywhere that Propride/Hensley hitches require less than the recommended 10 to 15% TW. I recall measuring the distances in accordance with the PP installation instructions but I do not recall whether there was any recommendation as to TW or whether it was assumed you have the recommended TW of 10 to 15%.

In the real world, there are very few absolutes. Driver A may get away with towing thousands of miles with an 8% tongue weight with no problems until certain road, speed and wind conditions meet to cause sway that might not have occurred if 14% tongue weight had been used. Even using 14% of 15% tongue weight is not a guarantee that you will never have sway, it just makes it less likely and therefore recommended.

The Propride/Hensley hitches also make sway less likely to occur in similar circumstances that would cause sway with many other hitches on the market. IMHO towing with less than 10% TW with a Propride hitch would be less likely to experience sway than without a PP hitch, but still more likely to experience sway than a PP hitch and 12% to 15% TW.

One thing people confuse is that you do not need to setup a 12% to 15% tongue weight and then add 200lbs for the PP or Hensley hitch. The 12% to 15% will include the weight of the hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Ok, it's not that the actual tongue weight at the TT coupler requires less weight, it's just that the measured weight further up at the 'stinger' is less.

Bob
Just to expand on this point Bob, if the weight on the stinger is less, it is this weight that is being applied to the hitch receiver and therefore this is the number we should be concerned about for hitch rating ? I know there is weight transferred to front wheels of the TV and back to the TT wheels, but I would not have predicted 200lbs difference as measured by Bono.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #32

The stinger is putting the weight dist. bars under tension with the scale under it. There is weight being transferred back to the trailer axles. I think if you measure under the jack when using a PP or Hensley hitch, you will have an accurate measurement.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #33

Hmm, I did not check whether there was tension on the bars when I put the stinger on the scale. That may explain huge difference in weight between jack and stinger. At the same, I believe that jack weight is not TW weight. In my case it is something between 700 and 900 lbs.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #34

I pull with a 2013 F150 Crew cab and find the truck pulls well with plenty of power. We took a trip out west in 2015, Custer South Dakota, Yellowstone, Tetons and Denver...The truck pulled well but it was definitely a work out for it. Here are some weights from one of the first trips we took back in 2014:Cat scale weights with the trailer loaded for a trip. Front 3540, rear 3700, trailer 5880.

IMO the truck is loaded near or at its rating but handles the load very well.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
snip....... Just to expand on this point Bob, if the weight on the stinger is less, it is this weight that is being applied to the hitch receiver and therefore this is the number we should be concerned about for hitch rating ?.....snip
Ottawasteve,

One would think so since TV receiver tongue weight ratings are based off the vertical face of the receiver pin box...., but, in my mind the weight measurement at the stinger should have been greater then the stand alone TT tongue weight...., still noodling that line of thinking ...., somewhere the weight of the Pro Pride has to be accounted for.

A CAT scale visit will tell all.

Question for "bono": Was the Pro Pride attached to the TT coupler when you took the weight measurement at the jack stand??? I also assume that your slide(s) were closed when checking weights.

Bob

PS: Our apologies to the OP for moving off topic.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm View Post
Currently have a 2017 F150 EcoBoost with a tow rating of 11,700 lbs; however, the max payload (per the yellow door jam sticker) is 1552 lbs. We are looking at purchasing a 2016 28dsbh, which has a dry weight of 6020, gross weight of 7500, and a dry hitch of 655.

My concern is the payload capacity of my truck. If I estimate 13% of a typical loaded trailer (let's say 7000 lbs), that would put the tongue weight at 910 lbs. Truck passengers ~= 600 lbs. Plus the weight of the hitch, gas, tonneau cover, etc.

Does anyone else pull with this combo? Does the WDH provide any additional buffer?
It is obvious you have a new truck so your not getting a 250 or 350 anytime soon. The 2017 is a nice truck and I hope you got the 10 speed tranny. Wish I had it . Now why do you need a 28DSBH? I know it is a great trailer and what seems to be the most popular on this forum but we love our 25BHS with a family of four and a 80lb dog. Now more room is always a thing we all envy but reality to me is I use the dang thing currently only 7-9 times a year. When we do it is used to have a good nights sleep, nice to get out of the rain, and it's awesome cause I'm done with tent camping however I'm not living in the dang thing. If you are buying it to live in it or use it all year round then push the limits of the truck and get a big trailer, but if you use it to camp 7-8x a year get a trailer that will be a joy to tow and easy to park in a majority of campsites out there. We don't have a couch but if you need one get the Murphy model which I don't like too much but I think there is a model 26BHS which had a couch but smaller dining area.

Anywho good luck hope you get what you need. I have a similar truck and my payload is 1630 and we only have about 150 extra lbs of payload when we are all loaded up to go. My concern with a bigger trailer than the one I have now is just the sheer size when pulling it down the road. The truck has plenty of power but having a trailer that is a huge box that long and tall behind a 1/2 ton is crazy to me but that's my opinion. I have also like some others put on BFGOODRICH KO2's load range E tires, 1.5" front puck, and RAS suspension kit. This doesn't add to my payload but the opposite takes away payload however it does help make the ride even better with not having squishy shoes and the RAS helps with the bouncy feel on less than average roads.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

nosnhojm,

Quote:
snip..... Does the WDH provide any additional buffer?
Very little....., the WDH is designed primarily to address the weight integrity of the TV's front suspension. There is however some weight transferred back to the TT axles when the WDH is engaged but this represents a small percentage of weight off the TV's rear axle.

Quote:
snip..... If so, does changing to E load tires allow me to get past that 1552 tire and loading limit?
Changing to an "E" rated tire won't change your TV's available payload capacity and/or the specified GVWR, but would enhance TV handling while towing.

To minimize the weight assumptions take your F-150 under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, simulated camping cargo weight) to a CAT scale and weigh it ($9 & 1 minute). Subtract the CAT scale weight from your F-150's GVWR will give you your available payload capacity for supporting a TT's" loaded" tongue weight and a 50lb WDH. Any items not accounted for at the CAT scale (fire wood, etc.) add the weight to the CAT weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
I pull with a 2013 F150 Crew cab and find the truck pulls well with plenty of power. We took a trip out west in 2015, Custer South Dakota, Yellowstone, Tetons and Denver...The truck pulled well but it was definitely a work out for it. Here are some weights from one of the first trips we took back in 2014:Cat scale weights with the trailer loaded for a trip. Front 3540, rear 3700, trailer 5880.

IMO the truck is loaded near or at its rating but handles the load very well.
The rear is a big jump in weight. What is the in loaded rear axle weight on your truck. I have a SCREW and my rear unloaded weight is 2540 and loaded with trailer and WDH engaged is 3490 making my trailers TW around 900-950lbs depending how I load my front cargo area. My rear axle rating is 3800 so I have a generous room there pulling my WH 25BHS.

Is your tongue weight running around 1100lbs?
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote