Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #1091
Senior Member
 
robkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 3,708
Refueled ready to hit the road home tomorrow. It's been a great 10 days!
__________________

__________________
Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2016 Eagle 323LKTS
2016 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2015 White Hawk 29REKS Summit Edition (Traded)
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1092
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sulphur Springs
Posts: 438
After doing virtually nothing to my 21 year old dually for the past 15 years, I've finally had to address a few things this summer....

The truck is a '96 Chevy crew cab dually with a vortec 454...

A/C: It's been leaking refrigerant for several years, and I've just been putting in a couple of cans before every trip. We finally got the kid out of college and got her married, so I felt free to finally spend some money on the truck. The main issue was the compressor. I bought a new Sanden compressor that is a direct bolt-on replacement for the junky GM HT6. The low pressure switch up on the receiver was also leaking. There was also an issue with some O-rings. My wife is the comptroller for a couple of car dealerships. We paid one of her mechanics cash to perform this work.

Intake: When he was performing the A/C work, he noticed that the intake gasket was leaking some engine coolant (the orange dexcool stuff) at the front of one of the heads. We paid him cash again to perform this work. I considered doing it myself, but this thing has an upper and lower intake, and it involved removing the fuel rails which gets into the injectors and their O-rings. I really didn't want any part of that.

Tune up stuff: While replacing the intake gasket, he noticed the cap and rotor were in horrible condition. They were factory original, so they were 21 years old and had run 159,000 miles. He told me that I would probably want to also replace the wires, since he saw evidence of some misfiring on the ends of the wires. I replaced the 15 year old spark plugs and 21 year old plug wires this morning. The plugs had about 60k miles on them when I pulled them out, and they really didn't look all that bad. Those 21 year old wires were junk. I tossed on a new fuel filter while I was at it.

In all, we've spent about a thousand bucks on this truck this summer, which is probably about one payment on a fancy new dually. This truck should be good to go now for several more years.
__________________

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #1093
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Haven, NY
Posts: 544
Towed our camper for another weekend trip.
__________________


2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH traded in
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7, 6 speed 4.30 gears
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #1094
Senior Member
 
DrtEmaxChvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sandia Park
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
After doing virtually nothing to my 21 year old dually for the past 15 years, I've finally had to address a few things this summer....



The truck is a '96 Chevy crew cab dually with a vortec 454...



A/C: It's been leaking refrigerant for several years, and I've just been putting in a couple of cans before every trip. We finally got the kid out of college and got her married, so I felt free to finally spend some money on the truck. The main issue was the compressor. I bought a new Sanden compressor that is a direct bolt-on replacement for the junky GM HT6. The low pressure switch up on the receiver was also leaking. There was also an issue with some O-rings. My wife is the comptroller for a couple of car dealerships. We paid one of her mechanics cash to perform this work.



Intake: When he was performing the A/C work, he noticed that the intake gasket was leaking some engine coolant (the orange dexcool stuff) at the front of one of the heads. We paid him cash again to perform this work. I considered doing it myself, but this thing has an upper and lower intake, and it involved removing the fuel rails which gets into the injectors and their O-rings. I really didn't want any part of that.



Tune up stuff: While replacing the intake gasket, he noticed the cap and rotor were in horrible condition. They were factory original, so they were 21 years old and had run 159,000 miles. He told me that I would probably want to also replace the wires, since he saw evidence of some misfiring on the ends of the wires. I replaced the 15 year old spark plugs and 21 year old plug wires this morning. The plugs had about 60k miles on them when I pulled them out, and they really didn't look all that bad. Those 21 year old wires were junk. I tossed on a new fuel filter while I was at it.



In all, we've spent about a thousand bucks on this truck this summer, which is probably about one payment on a fancy new dually. This truck should be good to go now for several more years.


Love stories like this


-Til' Valhalla...Dysfunctional Veteran
__________________
2015.5 Duramax
USMC Vet Operation Iraqi Freedom
DrtEmaxChvy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #1095
Senior Member
 
ttavasc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Auburn
Posts: 420
Gave it a day off after getting back from a 2400 mile south west trip yesterday. It worked a little harder than usual as the weather wasn't that great either direction this trip. We had strong head winds on the way down and even stronger head winds and swirling gusts on the way home as we were trailing a pretty powerful storm that saw two EF1 tornadoes in Utah the day before. We eventually pulled into a rest area in central Idaho and got off the road for a few hours until the winds died down a bit.
__________________
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 3.21, Factory Air Suspension/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #1096
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Marion
Posts: 181
I traded the Silverado 1500 tow vehicle in for a 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4x4 crew cab standard bed.
No more white knuckling.

So had to take the camper shell off the 1500, they're both 2015 so it will fit if I ever get it painted.
Also had to remove my mudflaps and install them on new truck, they also fit.

And had to buy triangles and fire extinguisher and then go through safety lane and get an inspection since I bought Illinois D class license plates.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ Z71 Duramax 4x4
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w for Florida permanent site (Jayco 23rb traded)
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #1097
Senior Member
 
DrtEmaxChvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sandia Park
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I traded the Silverado 1500 tow vehicle in for a 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4x4 crew cab standard bed.
No more white knuckling.

So had to take the camper shell off the 1500, they're both 2015 so it will fit if I ever get it painted.
Also had to remove my mudflaps and install them on new truck, they also fit.

And had to buy triangles and fire extinguisher and then go through safety lane and get an inspection since I bought Illinois D class license plates.


Excellent choice

But I'm biased



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015.5 Duramax
USMC Vet Operation Iraqi Freedom
DrtEmaxChvy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #1098
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 962
I had my 75 gallon transfer flow tank installed yesterday and then went to the station and filled it up.
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #1099
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Marion
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I had my 75 gallon transfer flow tank installed yesterday and then went to the station and filled it up.
I drool over those since I hate stopping to get fuel and getting in and out. I was thinking more like 40 gallons though.

Just don't know if I want to give up the bed space.

I would still stop at rest areas every 2-3 hours for wife and dog, but at least I wouldn't have to be wrestling my way through the truck stops so often.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ Z71 Duramax 4x4
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w for Florida permanent site (Jayco 23rb traded)
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #1100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I drool over those since I hate stopping to get fuel and getting in and out. I was thinking more like 40 gallons though.

Just don't know if I want to give up the bed space.

I would still stop at rest areas every 2-3 hours for wife and dog, but at least I wouldn't have to be wrestling my way through the truck stops so often.
I thought about the 50 gallon tank but then noticed that the 75 was only a few inches wider so I went with it. My truck was a long bed so it's now a short bed.

I wish we could make it 2 hours without a stop
__________________

__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.