Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #481

Over the last 2 days, I replaced all drums, rotors, wheel bearings, shoes, pads, wheel cylinders, calipers, springs and the fluid. Not exactly a small job but not too bad...UNTIL one lugnut would not come off. If I had brakes, tire store would have been working on it, but I had no way of getting the suburban there. 750 ft lbs impact hammer wouldn't budge it. Put a tire iron on it with a 12 foot cheater pipe. Rounded off the nut. By this time I was extremely hot!! Idiot with an air gun got happy and he cost me about 50 more dollars. Had to go buy a specialty socket (easy out), and a propane torch plus new lugnuts. Still took over 2 hours of heating up cooling down and switching between a 4 foot breaker bar with me and my neighbor standing on it and the impact wrench to break it loose. Master cylinder is next. Probably do that next weekend.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #482

Changed the oil and filter yesterday. 7 quarts of Walmart SuperTech 5w20, full synthetic (only $18 for a 5 qt jug) and a Purolator filter. Nice little shade tree project. I've discovered that removing one of the step rails to get under the truck works pretty well for me. My gut is too thick to slide underneath from the front end.

Should be good for another 6 months, or whenever the EVIC tells me it's oil change time again. This time it determined 3500 miles was enough. That's with mostly in town driving. If I'm towing cross country, it'll let me go the full 8000 mile recommended interval.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #483

Ordered up some tie rods.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #484

Ordered up a set of RunCool XXL hood louvers for the Dodge.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:43 AM   #485

Actually yesterday: Had 1 glow plug replaced (why do they always seem to fail in the summertime when it is HOT?).

Ordered a new XM Radio receiver. Mine had become intermittent and smelled burned.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #486

Finished replacing the center link, inner left tie rod, both outer tie rod ends and both tie rod adjuster sleeves.

All with the help of my youngest son learning how to turn wrenches!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #487

Just got some new slip on tow mirrors (CIPA) on the burb. Amazon had them for $35 w/ fres shipping. Seem to fit like a glove. Will be 2 weeks till I can try them out.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #488

Just finished hand washing the RAM 2500! What a difference from a Mustang! I never thought I was gonna finish!

Dan
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Mike - Let me know what your thoughts are on the Firestones. I keep debating back and forth to get the Air Lifts or the Firestones.

Thanks,

Dan

I've had the Firestone air bags since January. We are on our fourth camping trip since then and they have been great.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #490

Towed the trailer back from Bethpage Campground. Spent a nice five days there. Was our first time. Some things I didn't like but we had a lot of fun...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #491

Well, it wasn't today but over the past weekend my grandson and I installed an LED strip light on the back of the truck. I like having plenty of lights back there! Friday the truck goes in to have auto-extend step bars installed. My 5'2" wife will appreciate that!
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #492

Made a small adjustment to steering gear to eliminate a small amount of play in the wheel.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Made a small adjustment to steering gear to eliminate a small amount of play in the wheel.
What did you adjust? My rig has some play in it. It's not bad around town but I pulled for 7 hours last month...it got old. What do I need to look at?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #494

Today, I had a set of Firestone Ride-Rite 2550 air bags installed. Can't wait to hook up the new 29RKS and head for the mountains in a week and a half.
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 24FB (Sold)
1984 Jayco J-Series 1008 (Sold)

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 AM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
What did you adjust? My rig has some play in it. It's not bad around town but I pulled for 7 hours last month...it got old. What do I need to look at?
First thing you have to do is a thorough inspection of your entire steering system.

I had a bunch of wandering going on when driving down the highway. I found a worn joint between then pitman arm and center link. I also found all the other tie rod ends to have ripped boots. I decided to replace them all. After the replacement there was zero play in the system between the steering gear and the wheels but there was still some play at the steering wheel. Upon inspection I found the issue was some slop inside the steering gear. I could move the steering wheel a bit and the pitman arm would not move. I could also hear a slight clunk when under the truck and the wheel was moved back and forth.

This was causing a little wandering on the highway that required constant correction.

After some research I found that the gears inside the steering gear get worn, mostly in the center when the wheels are straight. This causes the wandering if everything else is tight. I did some more reading and found out about the adjustment on the steering gear. You have to be careful though. If you take out too much slack you can bind the gears and not be able to turn the wheel. This can be very dangerous. You have to do the adjustment with the front wheels off the ground and test the steering full range, with the engine off. This will allow you to tell the system without any power assist. It should be pretty easy to find any binding under those conditions. Then take it for a test drive to confirm.

You do a small adjustment and test. I did 1/4 turns and tested each time. In the end the final adjustment was a full, turn of the screw.

Just do a Google search and youtube search for steering gear adjustment and you will get lots of links.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
First thing you have to do is a thorough inspection of your entire steering system.

I had a bunch of wandering going on when driving down the highway. I found a worn joint between then pitman arm and center link. I also found all the other tie rod ends to have ripped boots. I decided to replace them all. After the replacement there was zero play in the system between the steering gear and the wheels but there was still some play at the steering wheel. Upon inspection I found the issue was some slop inside the steering gear. I could move the steering wheel a bit and the pitman arm would not move. I could also hear a slight clunk when under the truck and the wheel was moved back and forth.

This was causing a little wandering on the highway that required constant correction.

After some research I found that the gears inside the steering gear get worn, mostly in the center when the wheels are straight. This causes the wandering if everything else is tight. I did some more reading and found out about the adjustment on the steering gear. You have to be careful though. If you take out too much slack you can bind the gears and not be able to turn the wheel. This can be very dangerous. You have to do the adjustment with the front wheels off the ground and test the steering full range, with the engine off. This will allow you to tell the system without any power assist. It should be pretty easy to find any binding under those conditions. Then take it for a test drive to confirm.

You do a small adjustment and test. I did 1/4 turns and tested each time. In the end the final adjustment was a full, turn of the screw.

Just do a Google search and youtube search for steering gear adjustment and you will get lots of links.
Thanks for the info. I know engines but the rest is a learning curve. Sounds like a lengthy process. Next time home I'll pull it in the shop and inspect it, come up with a game plan and parts budget. I already know my steering pump is leaking. Discovered that on a twisty mountain road a few weeks ago. I just did a complete new brake system and was planning to do a New exhaust in the next month or so. Now I think the steering has moved to the head of the list. This project vehicle I bought has become a bigger project and a small money pit. (Surprise, surprise) I've enjoyed working on it but it starting to seem like it's always something. The good news is it's old enough that there's nothing on it I can't work on, even if I have to learn as I go. And I still haven't fixed the AC which I knew was broken when I bought it last year. And then there's the fuel pump......
Old 08-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #497

Installed a pair of RunCool XXL hood louvers. Towing to Hill City, SD this weekend so that will be the true test. Around town unloaded it is much cooler.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #498

Just replaced all 5 Blow max tires. Just had them all checked 2 months ago and we're found to be ok. 300 miles later and tread separated on 2 of them. Caught it just before blowout. Will be reporting to NHTSA. I wold post a picture bUT cant figure oUT how from my cell phone.
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #499

Replaced both batteries in the truck this morning. Didn't have the power to start so replaced both. Starts like a charm again. Better now than in the middle of winter.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #500

It will be done this coming Monday, but having the ignition switch replaced. Over 9 years the tumbler mechanism is just worn out. At times, frequently, it required a lot of "jiggling" to get it to turn. I'm concerned that it will strand me somewhere and we all know it will happen in the middle of nowhere.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote