Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 AM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Not today, but doing things to the TV seem to be constant. I recently had to have the Heater control box replaced because a couple of the mode doors broke, so all I had was heat coming out of the dash; it would switch to defrosters or floor etc. Anyway, on the Dodge Rams, changing this heater box requires complete removal of the entire dashboard in order to do the job correctly. In short, the dealership which did the work messed up my Remote Start system by re wiring it incorrectly when they put the dashboard back in. I fought with them for over a month, finally writing letters of complaint to the dealership headquarters, and to the BBB, and finally to Chrysler headquarters.
So just recently, I had an entire new (and upgraded) Remote Start system installed. I now have a 1 mile range, and it is programmable, so when the temps are really low and staying below zero for several days; I can set it to start the truck and let it run for 20 minutes every 4,6, or 8 hours (have it set for 6 hour intervals).

For those of you in the hotter climates, remote starts can be a handy tool as well. My Dad had one put in his car. When he and mom are out shopping and running around on a hot day, he starts his car about 10 minutes before they leave and lets the A/C cool the interior down before they get in.
You should name that dealer so others can avoid it. They screw up, then they do not want to take responsibility. Its a shame you had to go to headquarters but I found that to be very effective once you get them involved.

Sorry you had to go through that.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #682

Actually yesterday, reduced my rear tire pressure to non-towing pressure so I'm not beat to death on rough roads. I won't tow again for 3 months when my host position ends.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
You should name that dealer so others can avoid it. They screw up, then they do not want to take responsibility. Its a shame you had to go to headquarters but I found that to be very effective once you get them involved.

Sorry you had to go through that.
It was a Lithia dealership. I had other problems with them in the past which led into this recent set.
I like to do a lot of my own work, so I know what I am talking about and what I am doing when it comes to vehicle maintenance. However, certain things I will take my rig in for. Last year (February 2015) I took my truck in for a complete 200k service. During which, they were supposed to do a complete tune up, change the fluids in the transmission, transfer case, differentials, radiator, etc. I paid a little extra and asked for a bumper to bumper inspection, and a complete flush and change of brake fluid and clutch fluid.
Prior to dropping the vehicle off (the day before) I crawled all over my vehicle and marked the drain and fill plugs, the spark plug wires, hose clamps, hoses, belt, etc. with brush on liquid paper. Along with this I informed them of the check engine light being on. Of which, I had taken it down and got a diagnostic and knew the code was pointing to the fuel recirculation system. On Dodge Rams (all years) a common problem with the NVLD pump which is located underneath on the frame just in front of the gas tank is that one or two of the hoses will crack causing an air leak in the system and this causes the check engine light to come on (otherwise, if it is not this problem with the gas system it is usually fixed by replacing the gas cap).
I crawled underneath and inspected this and sure enough I had a cracked hose. I informed the dealership of this. I saw it in writing on my drop off invoice.
Three days later when I went to pick the vehicle up, I inspected it in the lot before leaving. They had not changed the fluids in the clutch system, or the front differential, or the transfer case, nor changed the lower radiator hose; yet they charged me for it on my invoice. They also reset the check engine light and changed the gas cap and never touched the NVLD pump. They took the vehicle back in and I was able to point out to their service manager and the mechanic how I knew and had proof they did not do the work they were supposed to do. They all looked like had been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. To top it off they informed me of a radiator leak they found during the inspection. This based on a build of dried residue of radiator fluid on an upper corner of the radiator. (I had already known of and had the radiator fixed back in 2008). At the same time, I was already aware of three broken exhaust manifold bolts (however, there are no leaks with the manifolds at this time). (These broken manifold bolts are another common problem with all dodge trucks since they use these tiny thin bolts. Usually, there is no problem because they break at the point where the heat shield is held on).
I told them of the radiator repair and had them do a pressure test. What do you know.... no leak. I guess they just wanted more money to replace my radiator.... They never mention the exhaust manifold bolts.
When I took the truck back to them in October; to replace the heater box, they performed another courtesy inspection and this time they told me I had broken manifold bolts and that I needed my entire manifolds replaced. I took my truck to another Dodge dealer, and two other certified mechanic shops which all three informed me I did not need the manifolds replaced, all three confirmed the manifolds were not leaking yet and all three recommended not replacing the bolts until I had a leak (knowing engines like I do, I know that once I hear the slightest "pfft" of a leak I will immediately take the truck in and have it fixed, since prolonged driving with an exhaust manifold leak can cause warping of the manifolds and head and cooling problems). Two of which gave me their invoices with the recommendation right on it, of which, one was the other Dodge dealer. All of this was included in my original letter.

I guess part of me enjoys the battle when I can show these guys the relevant proof of their attempted misdoings; and force there feet to the fire and make them do whats right.
In the end, after they have righted all their wrongs, I wrote another letter to the headquarters of Lithia, Chrysler and the BBB, referencing my earlier letter and complaints and informed that the dealership had corrected their discrepancies. I felt that was the right thing to do on my part.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
It was a Lithia dealership. I had other problems with them in the past which led into this recent set......................
Just think of all the people that have been taken to date and\or lied to.

I do not think the laws on the books are harsh enough to discourage such behavior.

Just one more reason I do 98% of my own work. Even if I flounder, and it may take me longer, or cost more money up front for tools, I still come out way ahead.

Stress is something I need less of in my life. Hard work, not so much.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #685

Dug it out. Got at least 2' of snow between Friday and Saturday... I know that's not a lot for some of you, but it's a lot when your shoveling a long driveway by hand.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #686

Gave it its first wash.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #687

Bought an EMS

Since it has a lifetime warranty, went ahead and ordered an energy management system\surge protector. Tweety's.com had the best price after tax and shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
EMS HW50C.png  
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #688

I figured out how to drop the spare tire after watching a YouTube video. After I got it down I checked the tire pressure and sure enough it was low so I aired it up. I didn't want to try doing this for the first time along side the road with a flat.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Since it has a lifetime warranty, went ahead and ordered an energy management system\surge protector. Tweety's.com had the best price after tax and shipping.
I don't think you will regret this purchase at all. I have the portable version and it has shut me down several times. I'm so paranoid about plugging in to bad power that I have a spare still in the original box. If my main one ever has to go back for warranty I have a spare to put in service. I won't even plug in without it at my home base. I had a power company transformer failing a couple of years ago and I had over 132v at my lot.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #690

I dropped mine off at the dealership this morning so that they could replace the headliner that they damaged previously. Was told it's a 2 day fix, so they'll have it overnight. I told them as long as I get it back by Friday morning, as we'll need it to get the new 377 over to the campground for our 1st trip out!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I don't think you will regret this purchase at all. I have the portable version and it has shut me down several times. I'm so paranoid about plugging in to bad power that I have a spare still in the original box. If my main one ever has to go back for warranty I have a spare to put in service. I won't even plug in without it at my home base. I had a power company transformer failing a couple of years ago and I had over 132v at my lot.
From what I understand, you do not have to send them back for warranty work. They are modular in design. You just replace the bad component inside. I like that.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #692

Well it was yesturday...but took advantage of the 60 degree weather to replace the pads on the rear brakes.

Also had to replace a rotor...that's what I get for waiting for warmer weather :/
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #693
Site Team

Finally put the leather steering wheel cover on, that was under the Christmas tree.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #694

Hadn't been started for a couple months, so planned on taking it to a meeting tonight. Nope, dead five-year-old batteries. I've got a 6 amp charger on it for overnight and will replace them in the morning.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #695

I had two Titans. Thing would tow a house. Use a lot of fuel.....but tow the house. I towed my toyhualer from Maine to Alabama with mine. Most spacious cab I have ever had. Well laid out, bed secure meant system is unrivaled.

Even got in a high speed accident in GA that totaled the toyhualer. Drove the Titan home to MD pulling the damaged toyhualer with a bent rear axle and all. Tough truck.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #696

I have been looking at it sitting out in the rain for the past 2 days, but tomorrow morning I'm driving it 70 miles to my home base to absentee vote for the presidential primary on 3-1 when I will be on park duty. Pick up my mail and return to the park. It should be good and limbered up by the time I get back.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #697

I upgraded last night and traded in my '11 Sierra for a '16 Sierra. Went with a 3500 SRW this time so eventually I'll have the capacity to tow a larger 5th wheel!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7990.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #698

Good looking truck!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #699

^-- Blue Denali is sharp! Well done.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #700

Moved the kid's seat back into the truck from DW's Xterra. After a weekend of driving the X around with the new larger kid seat, DW couldn't handle it; too small!! So we decided to sell it earlier than planned and get something bigger. So we're car shopping this weekend. Which means my truck is relegated to "kid-hauler" until we get a new car!

I don't mind, I love driving my truck, and it has PLENTY of space for everyone to be comfortable. And a new family vehicle will be exciting.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote