Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Picked up an iBall wireless hitch camera for my old Ram.

Surprisingly clear for an aftermarket system.

Glad your happy but I'm very unhappy with my iball camera. lots of lines and it flickers and even goes blank at the worst possible time. I've been told that aluminum is the culprit. I have an aluminum diamond plate tool box in the bed that is right in the middle of the transmitter signal, and you can absolutely forget putting it on the back of the travel trailer , nothing but snow. I wonder if there is some kind of a signal booster like the TPMS have?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #1542

Installed a steel 5th wheel tailgate with backup camera. Seems pretty well made. Took some time adjusting the fit and wiring the camera with an adapted housing holder. But all ended well...
Attached Thumbnails
rsz_tailgate1.jpg  

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:31 AM   #1543

I just had to replace one glow plug (why do these always fail in the summer?), and my first injector (ouch $$$). But with 177,000 on the odo I can't complain.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #1544
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
Glad your happy but I'm very unhappy with my iball camera. lots of lines and it flickers and even goes blank at the worst possible time. I've been told that aluminum is the culprit. I have an aluminum diamond plate tool box in the bed that is right in the middle of the transmitter signal, and you can absolutely forget putting it on the back of the travel trailer , nothing but snow. I wonder if there is some kind of a signal booster like the TPMS have?
Interesting. Before I purchased the camera, I had read many reviews with similar comments as yours and was a little hesitant to try.

I did try it last night on the back bumper of my trailer and it worked there also, but it did have a little snow in the outer edges of the display. It was clear enough to still be useful however. You have me thinking now about your issues. Have you tried putting the camera on the back bumper of your trailer and then pulling your truck nose in toward the hitch? If you get a clear signal, it could possibly confirm that toolbox or something in that area of your truck as your issue.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #1545

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Sounds like you're familiar with this type of upgrade, especially with the 6.0 [emoji3]
Had to do the same on my old 06 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very familiar. But none of my trucks ever stay stock for long. Right now it's got all the usual 6.0 stuff done, plus tuning and a powermax drop in turbo. Hopefully to have fuel system, bigger injectors, and KC stage 2R turbo eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
Very familiar. But none of my trucks ever stay stock for long. Right now it's got all the usual 6.0 stuff done, plus tuning and a powermax drop in turbo. Hopefully to have fuel system, bigger injectors, and KC stage 2R turbo eventually.

Sounds like that'll be a fun truck to drive!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #1547

Changed Vehicles. From 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 to 2016 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas (new). Actually would have preferred to go with Ford Superduty or Ram 2500 believing their engines are better then the 6.0 in the Chevy, but the Chevy was about $12,000 less then either. Since added mud flaps, tonneu cover, bed rails, grill insert for big hole that Chevy 2500HDs have for some reason in front of tranny cooler, storage box under back seat (not nearly as nice as the Ram's I had), and wind deflectors on all windows (not in channel this time, on Ram these started coming loose after about 5 years).
Towing stability has improved (also have Equializer system) but seems the 6.0 somewhat weaker going down the road then the 5.7 (IMHO)
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Changed Vehicles. From 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 to 2016 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas (new). Actually would have preferred to go with Ford Superduty or Ram 2500 believing their engines are better then the 6.0 in the Chevy, but the Chevy was about $12,000 less then either. Since added mud flaps, tonneu cover, bed rails, grill insert for big hole that Chevy 2500HDs have for some reason in front of tranny cooler, storage box under back seat (not nearly as nice as the Ram's I had), and wind deflectors on all windows (not in channel this time, on Ram these started coming loose after about 5 years).
Towing stability has improved (also have Equializer system) but seems the 6.0 somewhat weaker going down the road then the 5.7 (IMHO)
Look up Justin with "Black Bear Performance ", he's the go-to for chevy/gm gas engine tuning

Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #1549

Well I finally was able to install my Rough Country light bar today for those dark back road driving.

Bracket for the bar.

Switch.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #1550

And man do it light up the road.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #1551

Looks good Big1! Any problems running the wires to the inside cab? Mine has the Aux switches...I just need to figure out which is which.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #1552

2004 f350 6.0

Sold my "bestest truck ever" 99 7.3 F250 Lariat I owned for 14 years with a whopping 114,000 miles on it and bought a completely stock, only ever serviced by Ford 04 F350 DRW to tow a 45 foot 5th wheel toy hauler I bought to do Sturgis this year. Truck checked out and seemed AWESOME when I bought it. First trip out pulling the 5er, did some mountains in TN, NC, and SC. The truck struggled a lot but made the pulls. Got home late, next morning moving the trailer around and saw the lower radiator tank was leaking. No problem, was going to update the complete cooling system, not the radiator, but OK. Truck was sitting idling and I noticed it was spewing oil out the back of the motor, WTF! Well I just got it back from my mechanic and it now has EGR delete, blue spring upgrade, new OEM oil cooler, 7.3 fan upgrade, water pump, new IPR and ICP sensors, HPOP gaskets and seals, transmission serviced, fuel system serviced, mishimoto coolant filter and next week my SCT X4 will be here. If this thing don't pull that trailer with ease I'm gonna burn it to the ground.
7.3 Fan clutch upgrade, Mishimoto coolant filter
Airlift bags on rear
Reese 20K hitch
2005 H-D Screamin Eagle (Banana)
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusaah View Post
Sold my "bestest truck ever" 99 7.3 F250 Lariat I owned for 14 years with a whopping 114,000 miles on it and bought a completely stock, only ever serviced by Ford 04 F350 DRW to tow a 45 foot 5th wheel toy hauler I bought to do Sturgis this year. Truck checked out and seemed AWESOME when I bought it. First trip out pulling the 5er, did some mountains in TN, NC, and SC. The truck struggled a lot but made the pulls. Got home late, next morning moving the trailer around and saw the lower radiator tank was leaking. No problem, was going to update the complete cooling system, not the radiator, but OK. Truck was sitting idling and I noticed it was spewing oil out the back of the motor, WTF! Well I just got it back from my mechanic and it now has EGR delete, blue spring upgrade, new OEM oil cooler, 7.3 fan upgrade, water pump, new IPR and ICP sensors, HPOP gaskets and seals, transmission serviced, fuel system serviced, mishimoto coolant filter and next week my SCT X4 will be here. If this thing don't pull that trailer with ease I'm gonna burn it to the ground.
Hopefully all of that work has it sorted out now. Good luck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Looks good Big1! Any problems running the wires to the inside cab? Mine has the Aux switches...I just need to figure out which is which.

Thank you, no problem whatsoever, I will post a couple of pics to show how I ran it when I get to a pc.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post

Okay here is where I ran the wire through the firewall, I have a little black marker on the black part, I cut a hole in it and ran the wire through there.

After drilling a hole into the part I spray some flex sealer on it.

Inside where the blue tape so I wouldn't come through.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusaah View Post
I assume you meant 7.3 fan CLUTCH, the fan itself would be quite a downgrade. I would suggest you look into "Lubrication Engineers 8800 (LE8800)" oil for the 6.0. As for the SCT, who's tunes do you plan to run? The canned tunes, aren't very good or impressive. Also get rid of the plastic IC pipe I'd you haven't already, and last, has the truck been studded?...

As for pulling, mine (06) pulls far stronger than my 7.3L did, which had a T4 Bell BASB (custom 364.5) turbo, upgraded fuel and hpop, valvetrain, and 175/100 injectors. So once you get the right tunes, you should be highly satisfied. If you have any specific questions regarding the LE8800, send me a pm

Old 06-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #1557

Thank you and yes 7.3 clutch upgrade. Nope no head studs needed (yet?) So I was planning on running just the canned towing tune. I have not looked at buying a custom tow tune as I don't run the truck hard. Pulling the trailer I normally run 65 mph. Hoping the hills won't be an issue. Tow tune recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Rob
7.3 Fan clutch upgrade, Mishimoto coolant filter
Airlift bags on rear
Reese 20K hitch
2005 H-D Screamin Eagle (Banana)
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #1558

Tow tunes...

I personally run Gearhead, others that have outstanding reputations as well are innovative diesel and Power Hungry Performance. I can assure you Gearhead is far superior to the canned tow tune, the shift strategy is on point, power is definitely noticbly better (although you would be running non studded tunes), and exhaust temps are substantially lower

Old 06-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #1559

Rob

Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already) and add some extra cabling for your batteries. Add an extra ground wire from the drivers side ground (under the battery) to the block. Then add an extra jumper wire from positive to positive and add a wire from alternator to passenger side battery. This modification will give you better, more even charging and stronger voltages to your FICM. I would also recommend an EGT gauge to monitor your temps while towing.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #1560

Swung by the dealer this morning to have the rear diff and brake fluid replaced. Also had a safety recall that popped up in May for the software on the occupant restraint control module so that got updated as well. Should be ready for the season now....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote