Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #1701

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Terry

I got an SCT X4 with 4 custom tunes on it. Since it was new, open box I got it for about $300 less than the normal price. The tuner is actually the easy part. Replacing the 120 pound stock exhaust was the more difficult part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom tunes, uh oh...
It's hard to go back once you get used to a tuned truck lol. Who's tunes did you go with? And what tunes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
Custom tunes, uh oh...
It's hard to go back once you get used to a tuned truck lol. Who's tunes did you go with? And what tunes?

Not sure who wrote the tunes. I got it from Rudy's diesel. I think they were using PIP at one time, but not sure now and they aren't telling who their tune writer is. I got tow, performance, race, and hot race tunes. I am running the tow tune. Probably will never use any of the other three. I am considering trying out Tyrant tow tune as I have heard good things about it.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #1703

Look into Gearheads and RCD tunes as well, A LOT of people seem to prefer these over others for towing with the 6.7s, just a suggestion...

I personally have tried several tuners with my 6.0 PSD, (totally different, I know) and definitely hands down prefer Gearheads, his transmission strategy is on point for the way I like to tow. Good luck either way, I have heard good things about Tyrant as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #1704

Quote:
Custom tunes, uh oh...

I couldn't agree more- I went with an H&S mini-maxx with the out of the box tunes- stock, tow, street and performance. I've actually been running in stock because without the restrictive factory exhaust even that is a noticeable performance increase, and that has given me about a 2.5 mpg increase. I put it into tow when towing. Performance mode makes it a rocket ship with a smoke show.

I was thinking of going to a new F350 soon.... now I just want to keep driving my tuned 2011 with 203k

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #1705

Quote:
Look into Gearheads and RCD tunes as well, A LOT of people seem to prefer these over others for towing with the 6.7s, just a suggestion...

I personally have tried several tuners with my 6.0 PSD, (totally different, I know) and definitely hands down prefer Gearheads, his transmission strategy is on point for the way I like to tow. Good luck either way, I have heard good things about Tyrant as well.

I know about the 6.0 as I used to own 3 of them

From what I gathered on various Powerstroke forums, Tyrant seems to have the right formula for trans shifting and no smoke. I have not heard much about RCD so I will look into that. Thanks

Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #1706

Quote:

From what I gathered on various Powerstroke forums, Tyrant seems to have the right formula for trans shifting and no smoke. I have not heard much about RCD so I will look into that. Thanks
Off subject, but who did you like with the 6.0?

Do you still own one? I personally love the platform, especially the transmission, power is much better than the 7.3s i was used to as well...

One day I may invest in a 6.7, but I'll probably go all out on options if I'm gonna spend that kinda money, and they are power machines even in stock form.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I couldn't agree more- I went with an H&S mini-maxx with the out of the box tunes- stock, tow, street and performance. I've actually been running in stock because without the restrictive factory exhaust even that is a noticeable performance increase, and that has given me about a 2.5 mpg increase. I put it into tow when towing. Performance mode makes it a rocket ship with a smoke show.

I was thinking of going to a new F350 soon.... now I just want to keep driving my tuned 2011 with 203k

I actually wanted a stock DPF off tune, but I got a good price on the SCT that I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen the MPG increase like you have. Granted, I've only put about 500 miles on it so far, but the fuel economy is basically the same as before...about 17-18 mpg. I have a friend that we camp with who has a '12 F250 and he's getting around 20 mpg. Seems like the 11 and 12 models get really good bumps in economy. My 14, not so much. Could also be the fact that I have a dually with 3.73 versus SRW and 3.55. Could also be the tune

Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #1708

Quote:

And yes, I hate smoke too

Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #1709

Quote:
Off subject, but who did you like with the 6.0?

Do you still own one? I personally love the platform, especially the transmission, power is much better than the 7.3s i was used to as well...

One day I may invest in a 6.7, but I'll probably go all out on options if I'm gonna spend that kinda money, and they are power machines even in stock form.

GH is pretty much the only tune for the 6.0. I no longer own any of the previous 6.0s

I started with a 7.3 Excursion that my wife daily drove and we pulled our TT with it. Then got a 2004 Excursion 6.0 4WD, which was one of the best vehicles we owned (after bulletproofing of course), then we went to a 5er and I got an F250 6.0 (never bullet proofed), then a dually F350 6.0 that was bulletproofed.

Now I have a 14 F350 and the power at stock levels is better than what I had on my tuned 6.0 (I only ran tow tune)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #1710

Quote:
I actually wanted a stock DPF off tune, but I got a good price on the SCT that I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen the MPG increase like you have. Granted, I've only put about 500 miles on it so far, but the fuel economy is basically the same as before...about 17-18 mpg. I have a friend that we camp with who has a '12 F250 and he's getting around 20 mpg. Seems like the 11 and 12 models get really good bumps in economy. My 14, not so much. Could also be the fact that I have a dually with 3.73 versus SRW and 3.55. Could also be the tune

So far after about 1500 miles, I've found that I actually see a slight mileage decrease in the 3 tunes, only in stock mode do I get an increase. I have a heavy foot and tow a lot, so I was only managing 14.2 in factory form. I'm up to 16.6 in the stock tune.

Before my old tweaked 5.9 Cummins in a Chevy felt comparable to my 6.7 .... now it feels slow!

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
So far after about 1500 miles, I've found that I actually see a slight mileage decrease in the 3 tunes, only in stock mode do I get an increase. I have a heavy foot and tow a lot, so I was only managing 14.2 in factory form. I'm up to 16.6 in the stock tune.

Before my old tweaked 5.9 Cummins in a Chevy felt comparable to my 6.7 .... now it feels slow!

I haven't towed with mine yet...anxious to do so. I don't have a heavy foot so I was hoping for 1 or 2 more MPGs. I may also look at getting a stock only tune. Yes, after the tune, the truck really has awakened. Very peppy, to say the least.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #1712

tires rotated RF balanced and transmission flush and alignment check.. all good for the cold winter...wash, claybar and wax tomorrow...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #1713

Tail Pipe extension

I got tired of cleaning diesel exhaust residue off the side of my truck. I put an MBRP 12" turn down chrome tip on my "free flowing" exhaust system. It seems as though the Cat and muffler were stolen from my truck one night and the criminals, or equipment, were never found.

Rob
7.3 Fan clutch upgrade, Mishimoto coolant filter
Airlift bags on rear
Reese 20K hitch
2005 H-D Screamin Eagle (Banana)
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusaah View Post
I got tired of cleaning diesel exhaust residue off the side of my truck. I put an MBRP 12" turn down chrome tip on my "free flowing" exhaust system. It seems as though the Cat and muffler were stolen from my truck one night and the criminals, or equipment, were never found.

Rob
oh that IS terrible I hope they catch those horrible people!!!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #1715

Quote:

Rob
Just curious, what tunes were you running when it was sooting that bad, I've had some bad tuning, and good, and the good just barely puffs at initial throttle. My other question is with the turn down, was it louder due to the echo off the ground? The PO of my truck had it turned down right after the axle, and it was terribly loud (mine is a 6.0 with powermax turbo, insane whistle).

Old 10-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #1716

Just an oil and filter change with tire rotation along with some TLC wash /wax...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #1717

Quote:
Just curious, what tunes were you running when it was sooting that bad, I've had some bad tuning, and good, and the good just barely puffs at initial throttle. My other question is with the turn down, was it louder due to the echo off the ground? The PO of my truck had it turned down right after the axle, and it was terribly loud (mine is a 6.0 with powermax turbo, insane whistle).

I have a 6.0 as well and run an SCT X4. I use the canned Tow mode with +65HP. The smoke comes on when pulling the toy hauler and getting on the throttle to pass or getting on the interstate. The trailer is 45 foot long and weighs in empty at 16700 lbs. It never smokes in day to day driving. I made the trip to Sturgis and back and the whole right rear from the dually fender back was black. But man does the truck sound AWESOME with the turbo screaming and the exhaust bellowing this DEEP tone.

Rob
7.3 Fan clutch upgrade, Mishimoto coolant filter
Airlift bags on rear
Reese 20K hitch
2005 H-D Screamin Eagle (Banana)
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #1718

Made custom Stainless braided Teflon fuel lines to replace rusted and leaking OE lines
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171007_1325450.jpg  
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #1719

Quote:
I have a 6.0 as well and run an SCT X4. I use the canned Tow mode with +65HP. The smoke comes on when pulling the toy hauler and getting on the throttle to pass or getting on the interstate. The trailer is 45 foot long and weighs in empty at 16700 lbs. It never smokes in day to day driving. I made the trip to Sturgis and back and the whole right rear from the dually fender back was black. But man does the truck sound AWESOME with the turbo screaming and the exhaust bellowing this DEEP tone.

Rob
Had a similar problem with my 06 Ram 3500, it also developed an occasional miss.Lots of folks said injectors!Problem there were no error codes.Long story short ECM/ computer for motor.It just took it a while to totally crash Lucky I was in my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow MTNS 3-17.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #1720

Quote:

Rob
You really ought to try a custom tow tune from someone, I personally like Gearheads, the best out of the 4 different ones I have, his trans tuning is spot on, and there is no smoke in my tow tune, and I run his bigger tow tune due to my truck being studded. All 4 custom tow tunes are eons better than the SCT canned tow tune. The timing and ICP maps are crucial to keep the smoke down, and his icp ramps up much quicker than the canned one. Just a suggestion, I am not trying to tell anyone what to do.