Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
I'd like to know where those numbers are from also because i am disappointed if true! I have 2015 SCREW XLT with 3.5EB max tow... Payload sticker right at 1800 lbs.
Klpoppe I actually called our local Ford dealership here and was asking about a half ton with 2600+lbs of payload. After explaining to him what payload meant (all he wanted to say is "it can tow x") he did finally go ask someone who told him they have such a truck. I'm going in sometime soon and hopefully don't get the same salesman cause I'd sure like to know what we are looking at.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #62

I have a 2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost. The tow max is 10,700 with 1818 lbs of payload. That is after the 150lb driver and a full tank of gas - 36 gallon tank.

I am towing a Jay Feather 23 BHM. The trailer from the factory with propane and battery is 4938 lbs. It can be maxed out at 6,250 lbs. The truck tows it like nothing is there. We just went to Gettysburg this weekend, got back yesterday, and the truck never struggled once. Even with the hills and mountains (max height of about 2,000 feet so not much of a mountain) it did great. I was able to maintain 70 at all times if I wanted. Got about 10 mpg going up and down those hills.

Not sure about towing something as big as your are looking to tow, wish I could be more help in that area.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #63
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
Sounds good sport. You have yourself a quality day and try not to wear out your finger tips. Just out of curiosity though since my F150 was the same as your F150 in your sig, what EXACTLY makes you such an omnipotent expert? I must have missed something.

I do not claim to be an expert, but it does not take an expert to recognize when someone doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about. You don't have to be a pilot to recognize that someone has no idea how to fly a plane. I believe it is important that readers have accurate information about towing capabilities of particular vehicles and be able to consider the source of the statements so as not to be misled. I respect that everybody has different reasons for picking different brands of tow vehicles, but it is unacceptable that every time somebody mentions towing with an F150 (do a forum search on the subject) the same people attempt to scare them with false tales about their imaginary neighbor being sued and after putting their entire family in the hospital because they were towing with an F150 and they were constantly terrified white knuckling it with unclean shorts.

When I read your comments stating that you had the exact same F150 as mine and that "My F150 was rated for over 10000lbs and could barely hold itself together with a 5500lbs trailer." it was clear that you are full of it or do not know how to set up your tow rig. A 30 second forum search of your previous posts confirms both. My towing experience with my F150 is even better than yours was overloaded as I have a very stable SOLID tow experience although I do not have over a thousand pounds of passenger cargo like you:

Quote:
Well, I wish I had done it better. I am really crippled on payload- horribly, and there isn't a stinking thing I can do. I used the online tools to help, even had the dealer do a VIN lookup that was supposed to give me the actual available payload- and I can safely say they are worthless! Now, I am completely stuck in this truck without a **** thing I can do. I remember your post about it on the Ram forum. I guess for the next few years we run like this- two vehicles until the youngins are off on their own, then we'll be ok on weights.

I guess I am just really flustered because I know these rules and researched the hell out of this truck before I gave them the go ahead to order it. Even then I got 4 different answers. So, I will beef it right up and run it. No choice at this point.

So if anybody takes anything from this- Rams pre sales tools are as worthless as the paper they are printed on. You have to buy off the lot so you can physically see the payload placard.

I ran my F150 overloaded periodically, and never realized it. All in all after I modded the F150 the payload available was only 50 lbs or so more than the Ram. It was SOLID though with brakes the size of a dinner table with an added leaf. Felt the same as unloaded. Axles were surprisingly rated only 150lbs heavier in the rear and lighter up front.

Keep up the good work, every forum needs a resident troll. If you want to keep misleading people on the safety of towing with an F150, please start a new thread. Enjoy the additional repair visits with your Gas Ram 2500:
Quote:
Front end issues is what I meant. I love this truck, but man the recalls and perpetual check engine light are getting old quick. I've had 3 back to back- no different than a lot of others, but this R46 could be a potentially major issue. The 3 link front end rather than the 5 link has cured so many things that were an issue with some of the HDs, and now it's sullied by a possible shi**y weld? Just frustrating.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I do not claim to be an expert, but it does not take an expert to recognize when someone doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about. You don't have to be a pilot to recognize that someone has no idea how to fly a plane. I believe it is important that readers have accurate information about towing capabilities of particular vehicles and be able to consider the source of the statements so as not to be misled. I respect that everybody has different reasons for picking different brands of tow vehicles, but it is unacceptable that every time somebody mentions towing with an F150 (do a forum search on the subject) the same people attempt to scare them with false tales about their imaginary neighbor being sued and after putting their entire family in the hospital because they were towing with an F150 and they were constantly terrified white knuckling it with unclean shorts.

When I read your comments stating that you had the exact same F150 as mine and that "My F150 was rated for over 10000lbs and could barely hold itself together with a 5500lbs trailer." it was clear that you are full of it or do not know how to set up your tow rig. A 30 second forum search of your previous posts confirms both. My towing experience with my F150 is even better than yours was overloaded as I have a very stable SOLID tow experience although I do not have over a thousand pounds of passenger cargo like you:

Keep up the good work, every forum needs a resident troll. If you want to keep misleading people on the safety of towing with an F150, please start a new thread. Enjoy the additional repair visits with your Gas Ram 2500:
I don't even know where to start with this, but suffice to say I have accepted the fact that I will likely be banned for this and I frankly don't care. Brand loyalists are killing forums and I haven't the time for it any longer.

You nitpicked a few posts of mine to prove what you see as a "point". My F150 was more stable at first- but it was heavily modified. What I meant (and clearly needed to spell out for you) was it was a gutless lump that could barely pull the hat off my head. The Ram 1500 would PULL circles around it, but the payload sucked and it too needed to be modified to handle the load- once that was done, it put the F150 to shame. I went to a 2500 that was a lemon. The dealership SWAPPED me into a BRAND NEW 2500 that has been flawless. The F150? 69000km and a blown engine. Not much of a showing for it, but I still am not going to sit there and trash somebody because they choose a Ford, GM, Ram or other. Who cares? Apparently you do, but I guess that's up to you.

The part I don't get is- why on EARTH did you feel the need to swoop in and start some inane diatribe about an F150? I never ONCE even mentioned brand. I didn't give a crap what brand. It was YOU that took exception to it and found the need to be the White Knight. Even after your ramblings of a lunatic, I said I didn't care what brand it was, yet you still would not let it go. In all of the forums I am part of, it is almost ALWAYS the Ford fanatics that cause threads to spiral out of control for some reason. Why is that? Why do you feel such a NEED to defend the brand you're driving? Does anyone really care at the end of the day?

Normally I take the good with the bad on forums but fanatical fanboys like you can drive a thread into the ground in a hell of a hurry. I am not a brand loyalist and I don't care what any man chooses to drive- that's their choice. I also don't give a crap if it says 1500 or 150 on the side, a half ton is a half ton. It has half ton brakes, a half ton frame, a half ton GVWR rating. Man, get it through your head that nobody, least of all me, cares what you drive. I have run this exact gauntlet with the half ton vs HD series and that is WHY I asked the question. For some reason you got your panties in a wad over it and now it has degenerated to this.

And I still have to question HOW this makes me a troll?

With that, I'm out.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #65

+1 Smurf!

I am a Ford fan as well as my last 3 trucks have all been fords but the mythical 2000+ payload on an F150 is very hard to come by.

Yes if you want to custom order a regular cab, short box, 2 wheel drive F150 with HD payload package you can actually get 3270lbs of payload. You also have to get the bottom of the line model with no options. Not many of those driving around.

Or if you want a crew cab 4x4 long box you can get up to 2660lbs with the HD payload package. That is of course only available in XL trim. Get a Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum ....... and real payload is a lot less. Probably around 2000lbs.

If you have a F150 with HD payload package that is great and yes you can tow a sizeable trailer. Bigger than most with a "regular" half ton. But most people don't and most half ton trucks are not comparable to 3/4 ton and up trucks.

People with 3/4 ton trucks can safely tow a 10,000lb trailer and they can actually take passengers to enjoy the camping trip with.

That doesn't even take into account that the 11000lb+ rating on many half ton trucks these days is not for pulling a travel trailer. Pulling a car carrier, a boat, or a cargo trailer is different than a big 35 foot travel trailer with 15% tongue weight.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #66
Site Team

some just cant leave well enough alone....

THREAD CLOSED

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread