Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

What would you pick, and why (rear suspension help)

Soooooooo, for now a bigger truck is out of the question and I will have to use what I have.

My 03 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3 4x4 is and will continue to be a work truck. In the winter it plows snow, and in the summer it tows our camper. I have upgraded to Load Range D tires and have my new Curt HD hitch ready to install but im also wanting to install some rear suspension help because I do have a fair amount of tongue weight and the truck sags some once all hooked up. I know and like Timbrens and was really leaning that direction since I have them on the front for the plow. The only negative thing with them is my suspension has settled over the years and miles and they make contact all the time up front, causing a little stiffer ride (really don't want to make it worse).

So looking at etrailer.com, there are several options. Timbrens, sumosprings, firestone work-right? (kind of looks like the other two) and a couple different brand air bags. The timbrens are the most expensive (which is why Im asking the question) and the air bags are least expensive. Im sure the bags would be a little harder to install, and I worry about puncturing them, but am considering them. What do you think? Should I just stick with what I know, or try something new? Thanks! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #2

I installed Firestone airbags on my truck in January before our trip to Ft Wilderness. I don't think i really needed them but in addition to the trailer I had a golf cart in the bed of my truck. I decided I'd rather have them and not need them, instead of getting on the road and deciding I wished I'd had them. With that said they were not hard to install and they worked great. If I was u I would not hesitate to get them.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

I like Timbrens for 2 reasons. 1) They do nothing to your unloaded truck. 2) They don't need air.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

I've installed air bags on past trucks and they made for a great ride when loaded down. If you do air bags get the on board compressor, it's well worth the extra money. I had Air Lift brand bags. The technology has changed a lot since I had them so I can't make any recommendations.

If you have concerns about "settling" suspension I'd be looking at replacing the factory springs before adding any helper springs then go from there.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Take a look at Roadmaster Active Suspension. As if you needed more choices! LOL!

Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

Anyway, I have it on my truck and I like it a lot. I chose it over Air Bags because I didn't want to have to adjust them, installation was easier, and by the time I had the bags installed the way I wanted, they would've been much more expensive. It's a progressive and passive system. Once it's installed and adjusted, you just leave it alone. I did have to tighten mine up after about 2K miles or so, but no big deal.

I passed on the Timbrens because The RAS actually stiffens up the rear end (in a very good way) under unloaded conditions. The Timbrens only work when you need them.

I didn't go with a Helwig (or similar) helper or AAL because from what I've read about them on other vehicles, they tend to flatten out over time (?). If I had gone with the Helwigs, I would have chosen the one that goes on both sides of the axle as opposed to just one side or two of the one sided ones.

So I chose the Roadmaster. I'm glad I did because my truck drives MUCH better unloaded. It corners a lot better with less body roll, and supposedly they help prevent axle wrap as well. I don't know about that part, but it takes off really good from a stop.

If I were going to keep my truck, I'd probably be putting Bilstein HD shocks (or something similar) back there too at some point.

You have a tough choice my friend, lots of good options out there, and they all have their pluses and minuses.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

Not familiar with your hitch setup. On mine If I wanted to even out (sag) I would chain up a link or 2 and I can tweak by ball also.
Oh I have the Reese dual cam setup
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
If you have concerns about "settling" suspension I'd be looking at replacing the factory springs before adding any helper springs then go from there.
You know, I hadn't thought of that... The rears would be a piece of cake to change (I didn't mention that they are coil springs, unlike the trucks which have leaf springs), but the torsion bars would be a bit tricky... From what Im reading, the air bags would go inside the springs in my application?
As far as heavy duty shocks or air shocks, I would have to pass on those. I've heard too many bad stories of shock mounts being broke off because a shock was trying to do the work of a spring.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Not familiar with your hitch setup. On mine If I wanted to even out (sag) I would chain up a link or 2 and I can tweak by ball also.
Oh I have the Reese dual cam setup
Well, that brings up another question. I have a round bar torsion bar hitch (not sure if that makes any difference). I guess I haven't really figured out the "correct" way to set it up, and even though I'm sure its posted as sticky on this forum, I haven't taken the time to read up on it. The hitch set up is from our last camper and I think it is a Husky brand? I did have to change the angle of the mount last spring because I could barely have one link hanging when all hooked up. I can now get about two links hanging but that's about it. I really need to read how to properly set it up...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

I forget the Tahoe/Suburban has coil springs to make a softer ride. Yes, they go inside the springs. That's the type I had, they are very easy to install. Heavy duty shocks are fine, stick with the Monroe equivalent to the factory shocks.

Air shocks are old school and not reliable. I had a couple of sets of those back in the day also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Well, that brings up another question.

I really need to read how to properly set it up...
I can't find the video right now, but Etrailer.com has some Youtube videos on setting WD hitches up. I have a trunnion bar style and it's pretty much the same as the round bar. When setting them up don't worry about the rear squat, bring the front fenders back down to stock height (that's a GM specification, should be in your manual). My Sierra squats about 1 1/2 inches when everything is hooked up. My front fenders are perfect. Tows beautifully.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I forget the Tahoe/Suburban has coil springs to make a softer ride. Yes, they go inside the springs. That's the type I had, they are very easy to install. Heavy duty shocks are fine, stick with the Monroe equivalent to the factory shocks.

Air shocks are old school and not reliable. I had a couple of sets of those back in the day also.

I can't find the video right now, but Etrailer.com has some Youtube videos on setting WD hitches up. I have a trunnion bar style and it's pretty much the same as the round bar. When setting them up don't worry about the rear squat, bring the front fenders back down to stock height (that's a GM specification, should be in your manual). My Sierra squats about 1 1/2 inches when everything is hooked up. My front fenders are perfect. Tows beautifully.
I was just reading the sticky about properly setting up the hitch. Looks like in a few weeks I'll have to bring the camper up to the house and take some measurements (the ground where it is stored is a bit soft to do it right now). I think I saw the video links in that sticky too and will have to check them out when im at home since my work computer is kind of dated... I have to be close on being correctly set up, because the bars are pretty much level. I also suspect that with the short wheel base of my Tahoe and the distance from the wheels to the ball play a big role in my actual tongue weight and the amount of squat I get. Seems for the size of the camper, the axles should have been a little farther forward (by looking at it). Doesn't help that most all the storage is forward of them...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

RAS won't work for coils. Sorry, I thought those had leaves in the rear.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I've installed air bags on past trucks and they made for a great ride when loaded down. If you do air bags get the on board compressor, it's well worth the extra money. I had Air Lift brand bags. The technology has changed a lot since I had them so I can't make any recommendations.

I have been looking at airbags as well, but I was just going to get a set with the airlines to the back bumper as I already carry a Sears 19.2v portable air compressor with rechargeable batteries for topping up tires on the TT and TV. Given that the airbags max out at 100 psi and have a relatively small volume of air I would think it would work fine. Trailer weight won't vary much from trip to trip and once I figure out the correct pressure, it would be relatively simple to inflate them to that psi each time. Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

I was thinking of going airbags as well to in general smooth out the ride, and for those rare occasions where I'm taking a short trip and don't want to bother with the weight distribution hitch. I never thought of the airline setup you're describing, what a great idea.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?
Nope, you already carry a small compressor. Most of us don't. Which is why I recommend the onboard one.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #15

I have air bags now- In the old days, I added an overload spring- The advantage of airbags is the ability to pump them up for towing and reducing the air pressure when not towing for an easier ride- JMHO- DD
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Went with the Timbrens... After reviewing some of the reviews on the air bags, I decided I would deal with a bit of a harsh ride when not towing, vs worrying about leaks pinching a bag (as they go inside of the coil springs on the Tahoe's). Placed the order today from etrailer.com. Seems like the best deal I could find and had free shipping...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #17

I have air bags and they have been trouble free. I really like the adjustability. When towing our Jayco which has a rather heavy hitch weight I simply add more air. If the quad is in the truck I add a few more pounds of air. If I am towing the small summer trailer I air down to 5psi.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #18

I am in the same situation of just purchasing a new trailer and not wanting to get a new truck. I talked with the local 4x4 shops in town and they all recommended airbags because of the ride when unloaded. We are taking our camper out this weekend (2nd trip) and then I plan to get them installed when I get back. Now to decide whether to get the on board compressor or not.
KD0JCJ
troutboy365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Troutboy, really interested to hear about ease of installation and your impressions towing after installation as I am also towing with an F150. I carry a portable air compressor from Sears (uses the same 19.2v batteries as my cordless drill and a dustbuster vacuum) for blowing up tires on TV, TT and bikes which should work on the air lines to the back bumper. Having a compressor on-board with a control in the cab would definitely be more convenient, but it comes at a price. Interested to hear your final decision.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I have been looking at airbags as well, but I was just going to get a set with the airlines to the back bumper as I already carry a Sears 19.2v portable air compressor with rechargeable batteries for topping up tires on the TT and TV. Given that the airbags max out at 100 psi and have a relatively small volume of air I would think it would work fine. Trailer weight won't vary much from trip to trip and once I figure out the correct pressure, it would be relatively simple to inflate them to that psi each time. Based on experience of those that have used airbags, is there something I am missing that would make the on-board worth the extra money, i.e. do you have modify pressure in transit with temperature changes or do the bags have slow leaks sometimes ?
I used airbags (Firestone) on my other truck for several years and never had a leak. I pulled a 33' 5'er and only ran about 25-30psi in them. That set the truck fairly level, took out the bounce and made for a pleasent ride. The only real reason to do the onboard compressor is for convenience. Once I knew a good psi, that's what it was set to and never needed to change it. I will be installing them on my new truck shortly. They do make a difference...
You can always adjust at your first couple of fuel stops to get what you want, after that you got it.

EDIT: I had the onboard compressor last time, but probably won't do it this time.

Hope this info helps
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote