Great information. Thanks

2007 Jayflight 25RKS- SOLD
2011 Jayflight G2 31 RKS with aluminum wheels- SOLD
2004 Silverado 5.3L with Hypertech and Borla exhaust-SOLD
2011 Silverado LTZ 6.2L Max Tow Package
scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Team
Wheel bearing grease is wheel bearing grease-or is it?

Quick story: my new rig never had great brakes. After mucho headaches fretting between what the rv dealer and the tow vehicle dealer said, jayco agreed to pay them to inspect my brakes. Over a year

The brakes were contaminated with axle grease, rendering them ineffective. I never put a grease gun on the bearings. Both Dexter and Jayco stepped up and replaced all 4 brake assemblies.

No more brake problems.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods
It is my understanding that giving a few squirts of grease to the EZ-lube axles will result in old grease being expelled from the front of the spindle thereby keeping the grease "fresh." This is the purpose of the EZ-lube axle system. I also understand that overdoing it is worse than doing nothing at all because too much grease may be forced past the seal thereby ruining the brake shoes. Is this not correct? From what I have read it seems many people are afraid of taking advantage of the EZ-lube axle system because there are potential problems caused by overdoing it. If one follows directions and rotates the wheels while lubing and adding grease very slowly and sparingly I think blowing grease past the seal will probably be avoided. I had an EZ-lube axle on another trailer and never had a problem giving a a couple of squirts from time to time. If one doesn't see grease coming out of the spindle, then maybe one has a problem with grease blowing past the seal. If one has a bad seal then maybe finding this out is a good thing.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods
Every time I stop while towing I check the temperature of the hubs and tires. If one is running hotter than the others it may indicate a problem. I had all my bearings replaced before a 2k trip to Key West last Xmas. The tech also checked and adjusted the brakes. It seems that one brake was not adjusted correctly. I found this out 25 miles into the trip as one wheel/hub was very hot. I backed the brake off and solved my problem. Had I just assumed all was well and had not been in the habit of checking tire and hub temps when I stop I could have very well had a catastrophic failure. I had the bearings replaced as I had bought the trailer used and had no idea what state the bearing were in. The trailer was 7 years old and I figured if one was going to go to all the trouble to repack the bearings why not spend a few dollars more and just replace them. I keep the old bears as spares. BTW, the old bearings were fine.

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote