Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Whitehawk 28dsbh owners!

I'v got a 2013 Whitehawk 28dsbh towing with a 2009 Ford F-150, currently run a Rv pro weight distribution hitch with an added sway control bar. I'm looking at upgrading since this trailer has always had a lot of sway and never towed quite right!

What are my fellow Whitehawk owners running? And if you have an f150 bonus points 😎

I'm looking at a husky centreline at the moment had an Anderson and while it towed better I didn't like unhooking it
Canadian couple 1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

You can see from my signature what I am running. However, what are you looking to upgrade? Truck, trailer, WDH?

I have tried to point this out on a couple of threads. It seems there are an awful lot of 1/2 ton and mid size SUV owners out there who are towing trailers that are simply too long... The weight can still be well under limits according to CAT scales and what the TV is rated at, but length of TT has to be factored in. Even if the TT weight is well under the TV capabilities you can still end up with "the tail wagging the dog."

Perhaps to explain it in another way. Imagine having a 400lb block (representing a 1/2 ton truck) on a bar rated for 800 pounds (this represents the vehicles limits), then place a 200lb counter weight block (representing the trailer) at the other end of the bar. Place a fulcrum (this represents the hitch) at the half way point and lift the block. It takes some effort but it can be done. Now move the fulcrum closer to the 500lb block; with the added length behind the fulcrum it becomes easier for that 200lb block to move the 500lb block. All the weights are well inside of set safety limits but physics allows for easier movement of the block with the longer the bar behind the fulcrum. The longer the length of the TT behind the hitch the easier it is to move the truck even though the trailer still weighs within the limits of the truck.

I am merely pointing this out as another factor to consider. I know many people have been towing such lengths comfortably and without a single issue.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Whitehawk 28dsbh owners!

I added the Reese Dual Cam to my Reese WDH when I went from a 19H to 28DSBH.

I'm very happy with my setup and have towed through heavy wind and through the Black Hills with no problems. Heading out to the mountains this summer with no concerns.

2012 F150 EcoBoost, MaxTow
2014 DSBH

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
You can see from my signature what I am running. However, what are you looking to upgrade? Truck, trailer, WDH?

I have tried to point this out on a couple of threads. It seems there are an awful lot of 1/2 ton and mid size SUV owners out there who are towing trailers that are simply too long... The weight can still be well under limits according to CAT scales and what the TV is rated at, but length of TT has to be factored in. Even if the TT weight is well under the TV capabilities you can still end up with "the tail wagging the dog."

Perhaps to explain it in another way. Imagine having a 400lb block (representing a 1/2 ton truck) on a bar rated for 800 pounds (this represents the vehicles limits), then place a 200lb counter weight block (representing the trailer) at the other end of the bar. Place a fulcrum (this represents the hitch) at the half way point and lift the block. It takes some effort but it can be done. Now move the fulcrum closer to the 500lb block; with the added length behind the fulcrum it becomes easier for that 200lb block to move the 500lb block. All the weights are well inside of set safety limits but physics allows for easier movement of the block with the longer the bar behind the fulcrum. The longer the length of the TT behind the hitch the easier it is to move the truck even though the trailer still weighs within the limits of the truck.

I am merely pointing this out as another factor to consider. I know many people have been towing such lengths comfortably and without a single issue.

Thanks for your reply, I'm clearly talking of upgrading my hitch setup. I'v often thought the tt was to long for the truck but at this point I have no option of upgrading my truck....
Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I added the Reese Dual Cam to my Reese WDH when I went from a 19H to 28DSBH.

I'm very happy with my setup and have towed through heavy wind and through the Black Hills with no problems. Heading out to the mountains this summer with no concerns.

2012 F150 EcoBoost, MaxTow
2014 DSBH

Thanks for the reply I'll look into the Reese dual cam setup as well
Old 06-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

I have a 2016 28DSBH that I purchased about a month ago. My tow vehicle is a 2013 F-150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 gears. Leaving the dealership, it towed horrible with lots of sway at anything above 50 MPH. I was thinking I had made a huge mistake. However, after properly adjusting my wdh (equalizer E2) I must say that it tows very well. There is a little (very little) sway at highway speeds when a big rig passes, but its very predictable and isn't an issue at all. In fact, I traded in a 26BH on the 28DSBH and I must say the new rig tows better than the shorter and lighter 26BH. I've already towed her around 400 miles and it's all good at this point.

My experience with trailer purchases indicates to me that the dealers don't get the wdh setup correctly. It takes some time to get it right. Time is money. I would likely invest in a little better quality wdh on my next purchase. Something like the Reese dual cam maybe. If money is no object, the Pro Pride or Hensley might be an option but they are AWFULLY expensive and not worth the extra $$ for my application. They have their drawbacks as well.
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

I posted in the travel trailer section on downsizing to a half ton, but it was specific to another trailer.
In regards to this 28DSBH Whitehawk, do any of you owners have actual loaded tongue weights? I am on the brink of the F150's payload (within 300#) with an 845# estimated TW, but that is by my calculations. Real weights would be helpful. Thanks!
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post

I recently traded in my 2002 2500 for my 2015 Silverado 1500. My 2500 was the CTD and it was pretty awesome being able to tow, what, like 15,000lb up a hill without giving it a second thought. The thing is, my new 1500 is the size and capacity of 2500s of old. For instance, the little 5.3L has 355 HP and 383 ft-lb of torque. That's on par with your motor. (Both the 5.3L and Chevy V6 spank my 1995 2500 gasser.) Some days I think back to what it meant to have a 355HP 454 big block back in the day.

Curb weights are also getting dangerously similar. I weighed my truck at 5500lb and you can expect a 2500 gasser to come in around 6,200 - 6,600. I suppose most of this is unsprung weight due to Dana60/70 axles. Obviously, wheelbases are going to be similar.

The 2015 1500 can out tow a 2006 2500 RAM with the 3.73 gears but the 2006 was not tested to the current standard. (The J2807 standard only really came about in 2015.) The J2807 does have a combination handling standard that addresses things like understeer and trailer sway response. The trailer sway response would take into account factors like suspension stiffness, curb weight, and vehicle dynamics other than brute power. 1500 suspensions have come a long way and play an undersung role in towing trailers at this length.

It would be cool to see older trucks tested against the current standard to see how they do. I'm betting nobody would have blinked an eye if I hooked a 33' camper up to my '95 standard cab 2500...back in 1995.

Payloads are admittedly going to favor the 2500s - the hardware under your springs is significantly bigger and better that what's going under a 1500 today. (A painful reminder every time I did brakes, ball joints, wheel hubs, tie rod ends, etc on my RAMs.)

All that being said, I think this is how people are getting away with towing loads with a 1500 that were historically 2500 territory. There is skepticism when people are considering the ratings of late-model trucks but engineers are smarter and materials are better than ever. Some days I wish I kept my CTD but the Silverado is as capable to tow anything my wallet can afford.

To bring this full circle, the 2009 F-150 lineup has similar or better ratings than my Silverado. Again, not rated against the same standard but let's not dismiss the truck summarily based on the numbers on the side.

Bryan
Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Your trailer has about the same weight specs as mine. My tongue weight is around #900

I have a standard Huskey hitch supplied by my dealer when I got my 26BH. It had #800 bars. When I got the 27DSRL I upgraded the bars to #1200. These cost about $100 on line. I use a single sway control and the trailer is virtually sway free.

You might consider 2 sway controls for a trailer the length of yours.

There is a lot of good info about weighing on a CAT Scale and how to properly set up your WDH.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

I have a "standard" Husky, Reese round bar, 28DSBH and 2012 F150 Supercrew, tow package, ecoboost. Had some sway until I added the second sway control bar. Tows really nice now. I made the RV dealer give me #1000 bars instead of the #800 they originally set me up with. It towed better, but still needed the second additional sway control bar.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

As per my sig, this is the 3rd season towing a 28BHBE with a 2010 F150 with max tow, towing the same length of trailer which is slightly heavier. On my first tow, I was not satisfied with the handling because the dealer had completely botched the installation of my Propride 3P hitch. Spent the weekend reinstalling the hitch and have never had a single issue with sway or stability since towing in high winds or passing trucks on the highway.

You will find on this forum that everytime somebody posts a question about towing with a F150 there is a chorus from the Gas Ram 2500 fanboys that F150's cause a hazard towing any trailer over 4000 lbs and all half-tons are the same. Two weeks ago on this forum I was told that towing a 5000 lb trailer with the exact same truck as mine made it immediately fall apart which was confirmed to be a bunch of BS. You can do a quick forum search for F150 to confirm for yourself how often this occurs including from one of those posters above.

I have no recent towing experience with the modern half-ton/1500's of the other brands and cannot speak to their capabilities, but based on my actual experience, those having stability issues when towing within the rated capacities of the 2009+ F150's will have one of 3 causes:
1) Inadequate equipment
2) Improperly adjusted equipment
3) Lack of knowledge of the actual weights on their setup

If you head over to the Ford Forums, you can get some accurate info from those that have actually towed with a 2009+ F150. On this forum you will have weed through a lot of "expertise" from those claiming that all half-tons are the same (F150 with 1200 lbs of payload will tow exactly the same as a F150 with 2200 or 2600 lbs of payload) because they knew somebody that towed with an F150 once and got into a horrible accident endangering their family and everybody on the road. There are many on this forum that don't realize that the 2009+ F150's are different from those of the 1980's.

Check your weights, get a good quality hitch and if you need to, install air bags and/or LT tires and you will have a pleasant towing experience.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

I have the same setup as dmward and have been very pleased with how it tows. No sway, very little bounce.
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure though if you all tow with three passengers and a 60# woofer. At almost 800# off the payload capacity, I'm left with nothing after the tongue weight. If you all are similar, or if your little yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb says "passengers and cargo weight shall not exceed 1450#" then I'm okay with it.😃
Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure though if you all tow with three passengers and a 60# woofer. At almost 800# off the payload capacity, I'm left with nothing after the tongue weight. If you all are similar, or if your little yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb says "passengers and cargo weight shall not exceed 1450#" then I'm okay with it.[emoji2]

3 passengers but only a 20 pounder pooch [emoji6]. Here's my yellow sticker. 1800 lb capacity.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #15

There is somebody on this forum towing similar trailer with Ford Bronco. ProPride hitch attached and no sway.

This is really annoying when people are saying that half ton truck should not tow 28DSBH or similar trailer.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
There is somebody on this forum towing similar trailer with Ford Bronco. ProPride hitch attached and no sway.

This is really annoying when people are saying that half ton truck should not tow 28DSBH or similar trailer.

Well, I wouldn't tow it with the smaller 6cyl engine [emoji3]

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #17

If you need to tow a little bit slower going uphill, it does not mean that you have a setup which is not safe. I am from Europe where a common speed limit when towing is 45-50 mph. Slow pace results in many smaller cars towing mid-, larger size trailers, because the setups are stable. Many Dutch people who love camping are going from flat Netherlands down south to Italy, France, etc. They need to cross the Alps going sometimes 20-30 mph. If somebody tows occasionally in the mountains, V8 or diesel may not be required. You do not have to be the first on the top.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #18

I tow my 28dsbh with a 2015 Silverado 5.3l. No problem towing at 55 to 65mph. Yes it would be great if it was towed with a 2500 or F250 but the 1500 will do the job. WDH setup properly, if I am pulling more than 50 miles I do it with a empty water tank. Close hauls I will fill the tank
Dwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #19

Thanks everybody. I have been driving Superduties since they came out, and roughly a new each year to 18 mos. In between, I mixed in a few F150s, and had issues with weight, but that's another story. One time it had me over the gross rear axle rating... Substantially.
I am about fed up daily driving a one ton, but want to be sure of my move. It's easy to trade down, but a bear to go back up.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
X2 - Don't disagree that a 250/2500 diesel with double the torque would make towing more fun, but the obsolete technology and 25% to 30% increase in gas consumption for comparable torque per pound performance in the gas 250/2500's doesn't make much sense to me unless you are saving a ton of money up front to pay for the extra fuel during ownership. F150 "half-tons" have payloads ranging from 1100 lbs to 3000 lbs (chev, Toyota and Rams probably have similar tow packages) and to state that all half tons are the same regardless of manufacturer ratings is simply ridiculous.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote