Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Will adding left side swaay bar really help?

Have a 2012 Jayco Eagle 298 rls. Tow veh is 2011 gmc 2500hd w/internal sway control, tow mode,etc. WdH is huskey w/right side sway bar. Get some sway in winds or near misses by 18 wheelers. Will adding second sway bar help?
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Not with a trailer of that size, You need a dual cam, Equalizer, or something similar..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

I doubt that it would help much on a TT of that size. Personally I would get a good WHD with an integrated sway control. I have used both Reese Dual Cam and Equalizer, and like them both.

Currently I have an Equalizer WDH on our HTT. The only time I feel any vehicle passing me (traveling in the same direction) is a vehicle with a very large frontal area (Greyhound Busses and very large heavy duty Semis, you know the ones that look really old and have very large grills). Even with them passing me all I get is only a little wiggle for just a moment. On coming trucks passing me have absolutely zero effect on me.

I am not familiar with the Huskey WDH, I looked on their website but did not see an upgrade to be similar to the Reese Dual Cam setup. But it might be worth spending a few minutes looking.

Added thought;
My understanding of the TV’s integrated sway control is it applies your brakes independently to counter act sway.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

My trailer is every bit as big as yours, I tow with a 3/4 ton as well, no sway bars at all, I do have a WDH. I have no sway at all, my suggestion is to insure your trailer sits level when connected to your truck, and make sure your tongue weight is in check.

With one sway bar already there has to be something else out of balance, that's my opinion

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
My trailer is every bit as big as yours, I tow with a 3/4 ton as well, no sway bars at all, I do have a WDH. I have no sway at all, my suggestion is to insure your trailer sits level when connected to your truck, and make sure your tongue weight is in check.

With one sway bar already there has to be something else out of balance, that's my opinion
I agree, something is not right. Your truck should handle that trailer with out any sway control.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
snip........Will adding second sway bar help?
It can, but a lot depends on whether your WDH is sized/adjusted correctly, and that your TV/TT weights are within specified limits. The same can be said for TV's with internal electronic sway control systems, they can't compensate for overweight or improper WDH adjustments. It should be noted that most WDH manufactures recommend adding a 2nd friction control sway bar when towing TT's over 25ft long.

However, I do agree with the other JOF members that a WDH with "integrated" sway control is an "up-grade" from a standard WDH with a standard friction control sway bar(s).

If you haven't already, I would take your TV/TT under loaded conditions to a CAT scale for weigh-in..., the results will confirm your WDH sizing/adjustments, and of course your weights.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post

Same here, I agree that something isn't right with your setup. If my drive is short sometimes I don't even put the sway bar on at all, just the w/d bars.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #8

We tow a Whitehawk 30Dsre with a long bed Chevy 1500. Equalizer hitch and both left & right sway control bars. While I agree a hitch with integrated sway is a better set up I didnt want to let go of $800 for a new hitch without first trying the lower cost route. Only need to buy a left anti sway bar for around $30 bucks...so far so good.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

I agree with everything on this thread. I think the 2 most common causes of sway are; too light on the tongue and the trailer being too high in the front. Your trailer has an unloaded tongue weight of 800lbs, so that's probably not the problem. When you're hooked up, the front of the trailer should be slightly nose down, if it's not, this could be the issue. [improper WDH setup]. This is a major cause of sway. I have the factory sway control in my truck as well and this does nothing to control the actual sway, all it does is sense when there is too much sway, the computer will slow the truck down.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

New to towing ( 4 months) with a round trip to south Tex under my belt. Had a 801-1200 lb WDH installed, with one sway bar, and the dealer and I set the before and after truck wheel measurements to less than 1/2 inch. Just the two of us, and I keep the load light and even. Travel with little or no liquid in all tanks. I hug the right side of road when I see a problem coming in my mirrors. Its higher winds and fast truck that hug the white line, that causes some sway. Not serious sway, but would be happier with zero. At 74, guess I may be expecting too much. Most of the time , the truck and I are unaware of something following behind. Will try the left bar before I change WDH. Thanks for all the info.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #11

I have towed with friction sway control and with a Hensley Hitch. The Hensley Hitch does not allow sway at all. It is a mechanical 4 bar problem that allows the TV to articulate (turn) but will not mechanically allow the TT to initiate a turn. For example if you had the TT hooked up to the TV while on clear ice and you used a tractor to push on the rear of the TT you would in fact move the front tires of the TV in the opposite direction. However if you pushed on the front of the TV it would allow the hitch to articulate. This is especially good in slippery situations where you could not use friction based sway control. The Hensley Arrow also provides for WD as well. I can't recommend the Arrow enough for large TTs.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
I hug the right side of road when I see a problem coming in my mirrors. Its higher winds and fast truck that hug the white line, that causes some sway. Not serious sway, but would be happier with zero. At 74, guess I may be expecting too much. Most of the time , the truck and I are unaware of something following behind. Will try the left bar before I change WDH. Thanks for all the info.
I will second the Hensley Arrow or the Propride 3P hitch to eliminate ALL sway. Why make towing a chore and keeping you white-knuckled and nervous just to go camping. With my Propride, I don't even think about a passing semi. I get NO movement from one and that is passing in either direction. You can run in the air wash behind a semi and all you get is wind noise! Absolutely no sway.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #13

I will put in a third vote for the Hensley, we upgraded from the equalizer setup and the difference is night and day. Yes, they are expensive, but in my opinion they are worth every penny.
mraplx is offline   Reply With Quote