Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Would this cause tire damage?

Hi, I discovered I had a cheap, faulty, drugstore tire gauge.
I then realized I've driven 800 highway miles on my new 184 Baja tires (Patagonia A/T LT's) at 43psi while the tire states 50psi max.
I guess these are truck tires but do you think I damaged the sidewalls by doing this or am I just being paranoid?
Thanks and a great weekend to you all.
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

I wouldn't think so.

I would think the pressures would have to be low enough to that "squat " was apparent on the side wall, and you would have recognized that before your 800 miles

My.02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

Dealer set pressure on all tires on our 264BHW at 44lbs. I have since brought these up to 48lbs. (Rainer ST rated at 50lbs)

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

800 miles 14% under-inflated probably didn't cause any long term damage.
What pressure does the equipment manufacturer recommend?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Nope, they are fine. Keep in mind that the manufacturer has no idea what these will be used for. Most 1500 series trucks and SUVs will take about 35 psi on the door sticker. That doesn't affect a sidewall in the slightest.

Regarding tire gauges, I have this one. Simply put it's the best tire gauge I ever owned.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Since tire pressure is a major thing, I have two different types and brands. Only takes me a couple more mins to double check.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #7

You were a little under the max for the tire so it shouldnt be a problem I have never ran any tire at the max pressure. and you were not to low so dont worry you will be fine.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

I would only run max pressure, if I was running at max load on the truck.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

I usually follow tire pressure printed on the tire as cautionary for the "max tire pressure". Otherwise regarding tire pressure I refer to the manufacture specs on the vehicle and trailer.
I have also found when it comes to equipment whether it be tire pressure gauges or compressor pumps or wrenches and jacks. You get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap. Just my two cents.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

I always run max tire pressure because it equates to less heat build up which is a major cause of tire failure. In your case I would doubt that you have done significant damage. Not knowing your gross wt., it would be hard to make that call. You were probably on the low end of acceptable as far as pressure goes. ST tires are a far different tire then truck or passenger tires. They have much thicker side walls to carry the weight. Thats why they shouldn't bag or flex. Thicker walls build a lot more heat when under inflated or excess speed is applied. ST tires can't be compared to truck or passenger tires.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

He is using LT tires. Not trailer tires (ST).
If you want to know for sure look up the manufacturer recommended pressure for a specific load. They will have a recommended pressure for the weight of the vehicle or trailer in this case.
I would guess that you are fine though.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I always run max tire pressure because it equates to less heat build up which is a major cause of tire failure. ...
There is an issue with that philosophy:

When a tire is overinflated for the load it is carrying, the center of the tread will bulge and give you odd handling characteristics and uneven tread wear.

The maximum inflation is the rated capacity of the tire and may not be appropriate for all situations.

And proud of it!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #13

X2 on the above 2 posts!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
There is an issue with that philosophy:

When a tire is overinflated for the load it is carrying, the center of the tread will bulge and give you odd handling characteristics and uneven tread wear.

The maximum inflation is the rated capacity of the tire and may not be appropriate for all situations.
I have run max sidewall pressure on my trailer tires for decades. I have no handling issues. I watch the tread patterns on all of my vehicles. I have found that max sidewall pressure on my ST tires gives even wear across the tread. Radial tire wear patterns are less affected by pressures as opposed to bias ply construction

Don't be afraid to run max sidewall pressure. The tires are designed for that or they wouldn't put it on the sidewall. Goodyear even recommends 10 psi above ST sidewall when operating over 65 mph.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

Running trailer tires at too low a pressure can add to heating which can add up to failure. That is never a good thing. Travel Trailer manufacturers build trailers and buy tires. I trust the tire manufacturers for my information over some RV builder.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I have run max sidewall pressure on my trailer tires for decades. I have no handling issues. I watch the tread patterns on all of my vehicles. I have found that max sidewall pressure on my ST tires gives even wear across the tread. Radial tire wear patterns are less affected by pressures as opposed to bias ply construction

Don't be afraid to run max sidewall pressure. The tires are designed for that or they wouldn't put it on the sidewall. Goodyear even recommends 10 psi above ST sidewall when operating over 65 mph.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

Running trailer tires at too low a pressure can add to heating which can add up to failure. That is never a good thing. Travel Trailer manufacturers build trailers and buy tires. I trust the tire manufacturers for my information over some RV builder.

FWIW. vic
Re-read that TSB "increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard" (emphasis mine)

The max on the sidewall should never be exceeded!

And yes, chronic underinflation will overheat and destroy tires.

What I have a problem with is a blanket statement that always keeping all tires at the maximum inflation is a good thing.

Tire manufacturers are saddled with the responsibility of their product carrying an unknown load. So they clearly print ON THE PRODUCT what the maximum safe limits of their product are.

Then the car/truck/trailer makers choose a tire that will carry their product. And publish the recommended pressures that will produce safe and consistent unladen operation.

How can a car/truck/trailer manufacturer know exactly how much of our stuff is going to be carried on any given day? They CAN NOT!

So, it is up to us users of these things to make the choices every-single-day between safety, economy, time, etc.

I know my priorities. I really like getting to my destination without unpleasant surprises! If that means driving slower, getting a good night's rest and performing proper maintenance on my vehicles; Those are prices I am willing to pay.

And proud of it!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Re-read that TSB "[SIZE=3]increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard" (emphasis mine)

The max on the sidewall should never be exceeded!

And yes, chronic underinflation will overheat and destroy tires.

Good catch. I missed that.

I know what has worked for me beginning in the late 1960's.

We would often bump the pressure above sidewall when towing cars on trailers. Never had a problem.

Under-inflation is a greater sin than max sidewall inflation. vic
Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Good catch. I missed that.

I know what has worked for me beginning in the late 1960's.

We would often bump the pressure above sidewall when towing cars on trailers. Never had a problem.

Under-inflation is a greater sin than max sidewall inflation. vic
Yeah.

But, uh... hasn't tire construction changed a bit since the 1960's?

I think I remember the term 'radial' being batted around sometime in the 1970's. Correct me if I'm wrong about the timing. I didn't get my driver's license until 1977.

And proud of it!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #18

Typically I run the trailer tires at max indicated pressure. As full timers, we tend to run a little more toward the GVWR. Our weight also goes up and down depending upon how much we have in the tanks. On long cross country moves we don't typically hook up much. I monitor what we are supposed to and motor on. Can't say we've ever had trouble. With the truck, it depends. On a long move I will run more toward the max pressure, but on short moves I typically leave it at about 60 psi instead of 80. Never had any problems there either.

In a small business we ran 1-ton duallies and F-Super Duties. We often ran 90-100 psi in a load range E 80 psi tire without any problems when we were moving heavy things (an F-Super Duty does squat a bit under 7 tons of slab wood ). We talked with our tire shop back then (80's, 90's) and they said it was common practice to do that and the tires could handle it. We never had a failure unless it was a puncture. That being said, nowadays I run closer to recommended pressures because of the higher speeds and, honestly, I don't think the product is as good, so I don't trust it as much.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
I have run max sidewall pressure on my trailer tires for decades. >....................< I trust the tire manufacturers for my information over some RV builder.

FWIW. vic
These two statements can contradict each other. Here is the Maxxis load chart for trailer tires, an 6000# dual axle trailer would put a load of 1500# on each tire.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

You would not want run the bottom tire at 80# on a dual axle 6000# trailer.

You can also do the chalk test, buy some of the big sidewalk chalk for kids from the dollar store. Rub it across the tread of the tire, completely cover a spot several inches wide, from inside wall to outside wall. Drive several 100 feet on a level parking lot. Look at the chalk pattern.

• More chalk on center treads than outside treads is an under-inflated tire.
  • More chalk on outside treads vs middle of the tire is and over-inflated tire.
  • Even chalk wear means in you're the ball park.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Yeah.

But, uh... hasn't tire construction changed a bit since the 1960's?

I think I remember the term 'radial' being batted around sometime in the 1970's. Correct me if I'm wrong about the timing. I didn't get my driver's license until 1977.
Ok. I'll give you the late 60's and 70's. Give me the 80's on.

So for for only 35 years I've been towing my trailers, OP trailers, commercial trailers using max sidewall. I've had one catastrophic tire failure at speed from hitting a chunk of truck suspension part in the road. (knock/touch wood) Not because I run at max pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
These two statements can contradict each other. Here is the Maxxis load chart for trailer tires, an 6000# dual axle trailer would put a load of 1500# on each tire.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

You would not want run the bottom tire at 80# on a dual axle 6000# trailer.
Huh? Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
You can also do the chalk test, buy some of the big sidewalk chalk for kids from the dollar store. Rub it across the tread of the tire, completely cover a spot several inches wide, from inside wall to outside wall. Drive several 100 feet on a level parking lot. Look at the chalk pattern.

• More chalk on center treads than outside treads is an under-inflated tire.
  • More chalk on outside treads vs middle of the tire is and over-inflated tire.
  • Even chalk wear means in you're the ball park.
I'm aware of the chalk test. As I never run my trailer tires close to being worn out I haven't ever bothered with it. My tires wear evenly enough to not matter. Handling has been fine. I don't put enough miles on trailer tires to change them out for tread wear. They age out before that.

I know that too little pressure is bad. I prefer to err on the high side. Everyone can do what they wish. Base your choices on what works for you.

I do need to submit some edits to a moderator re. the Marathon pdf.

vic