Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

07 17 ex port

Im a pop up owner now looking to up grade to the hybrid. can anyone give me some insight on this model what to look for in a used one or what to look at any info is good info to will appricate any thing anyone may have to offer me thanks for the help.
Sunmon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Hey Sunmon8! I dont have a hybrid, but there are several members that should be able to provide you some input. I just wanted to take a minute to welcome you to the forum. If you get a chance, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners forum Sunmon8. I don't have that model, but we did upgrade from a pop-up to a hard side and I can tell you it was like moving into a mansion! We did check out the hybrids for different companies and found that some of the pull-out rooms were flimsey. We did consider the Jayco hybrid of all that we saw, but ultimately chose to go for the full hardside. Hopefully you will get enough hybrid input from other owners here. Definitely let us know what you wind up doing!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunmon8 View Post
Im a pop up owner now looking to up grade to the hybrid. can anyone give me some insight on this model what to look for in a used one or what to look at any info is good info to will appricate any thing anyone may have to offer me thanks for the help.
Sunmon8, welcome to the group. I kind of did things backwards and went from a Class A motorhome to a Jayco 17z. My only regret is not having done so sooner.

In looking for a used Hybrid you should check it out like any other camper. The worst enemy is water leakage. Check that first. Soft spots in the floor, stains and exterior delanimation are the things to watch for. Also check for a lot of owner added junk screwed to walls, roofs and so forth. Sometimes junk is added, even by RV dealerships, that should not have been. That stuff can cause trouble down the road.

Aside from that and all the systems, check the fabric in the fold outs for wear, rips, mildew or other problems. Check the screens and the zippers to determine if they all work. Make sure they open easily and close properly and check the seals when the unit is closed up for proper fit.

Good luck in your search for a good unit. When you find the right one, I think you will really enjoy it.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

I have a 2,011 17 C (not the Z) we tow with a Nissan Xterra. We really like it, just got back to NY from Colorado and only problem we had was the RV tire blew out in Denver on our way to Colorado. When we went to get a new one the tire dealer said we had really old type tires on our RV. They were not steel belted, they were the old fashioned 4 ply and were not even balanced. We bought the RV brand new from a Jayco dealer with those tires, not knowing they were junk nor that they were not balanced. The tire dealer said he has not seen those 4 ply tires in years.

The 17 C is nice because when you convert the dining table to a bed it is a full sized really long bed. When we travel far we don't have to open the tent bed just for an overnight. The dining area bed is wide enough for the two of us and longer than a regular bed so our three dogs sleep at the end. It was really nice in the fall when we camped in very cold upstate NY. If we had to open the tent ends it would have been colder than it was with them closed.

If you buy a used one all I can tell you is make sure the tents do not leak, we had a little trouble with that but waterproof spray fixed it. Make sure you have good balanced tires before you make a long trip. Also, make sure your vehicle can pull it. Our Nissan Xterra has a rating that said we could not pull something safely if it was over 18 feet so we bought the 17 C which is slightly less. The Xterra pulled it very well all the way from NY to Colorado and back with no problems even when passing trucks.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #6

We bought a X20E, which is a great hybrid. It's a bit heavy (depending on your TV) at almost 4,000 pounds dry weight from the factory. We really like it, if we had a larger TV we might have gone with the X23B. Either way, no complaints with our X20E.
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

Welcome to the group

We are on our second season with our 2010 17Z and couldn't be happier. So far this year we have taken it from NC to FL, the Outer Banks and KY with no issues, about 5-K total so far this year and about 9-K since we bought it.

The only issue we had with it was the tail lights kept blowing bulbs from water coming down the back of the camper. I called Jayco and they told me this was a problem they had with one vendor and they sent me replacements that day and no problems since.

We have been through quite a few large storms and have had no issues with tents leaking or seals either.

Depending on the age, you should probably check the bunk seals and the roof for integrity. I had a dealer tell me that the the best way to check for leaks is to open the cabinets and look at the top of the back as this is where it would show up.

Not much else except the usual, making sure the water system works right and the black and gray water tanks. Also the tires/breaks, appliances, etc.

BTW: We are pulling this with a 6-cyl 4Runner using an Equalizer WD/AntiSway hitch and it pulls nice. (gas mileage not as good as with a pop-up but camping pleasure much better.

Welcome aboard and I know you are going to enjoy your 17.

WL Perry
wl_perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #8

Sunmon8---We went from a pup to a X19H, besides the extra 2'over the 17 it has dual axels which makes a big difference in towing. We love it. Larry
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #9

We have a 19H and have used it once so far and love it.
I had a popup years ago with first wife like it also but this is well hotel on wheels with out room service.
We spent 3 years searching all model and narrow it to Jayco as from what we have seen they are the best built for the money.Might not be what your looking for but check them out used Jaycos are perrty hard to find in the ultra light.

Good luck
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

[QUOTE=wl_perry;29201]
The only issue we had with it was the tail lights kept blowing bulbs from water coming down the back of the camper. I called Jayco and they told me this was a problem they had with one vendor and they sent me replacements that day and no problems since.

I have one of those defective lights as well. The lens does not seat properly and allowed water in which blew the bulb out while driving in the rain.

Thanks for mentioning that here. Now I can tell them I heard there was a problem with the light. Information like that always helps when you have a problem.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote