Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

'12 X20E Rear-Ended

Our July 4th trip from Seattle out to one of the coastal campgrounds at Olympic National Park started off badly... Holiday traffic, a bad dinner experience, then this: "
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130703_204030.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	8950

While turning into a gas station we were rear-ended. The good news is that all major systems are still in tact. The bad news is that I've got a hole in the fiberglass & damage to the interior framing & cabinetry. We patched it up with some Gorilla tape and continued on our way. Thank goodness it was a dry weekend at the beach.
Obviously my insurance and/or the other driver will take care of the repair costs, but we're in the dark about what to expect in terms of repair costs and times. Anyone have any experience with what to expect with collision repair?

We're slated to be on the road every other weekend from now to the end of the summer with a potential 2-3 week adventure around Labor Day. Is my summer going to be a bust?
Attached Thumbnails
20130703_204030.jpg  
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to see this. I think only your dealer can answer the questions on cost and time. Probably depends on how busy they are too. I suspect they will have to replace the entire back panel as the walls are essentially once piece with holes cut in the them for the windows, doors, beds, etc. Most likely if you explain to them what your schedule is, they can look at it to make sure there aren't any safety issues, maybe they can patch it temporarily until the season is over. I'm sure they'll have to wait for parts from Jayco anyway.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks DocBrown. At this point we're kind of expecting the worst, and I was hopeful that someone out there would have a good experience to lift my spirits. My assumption is that the repair work will be fairly extensive since there's interior framing involved, and I can't imagine that these things turn around quickly given part orders etc... we'll see later this week what the cost & potential timelines are.

Anyone have an experience where RV collision repair was surprisingly quick (as in 2 weeks or less)?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

I'm not sure I would want a quick repair. Given what damage you have, I would want the dealer to take their time and make sure the repair is done right and not try to hurry things to satisfy your vacation schedule...

It sucks, but it's just my 2 pennies!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

glsimms, thanks for the perspective. I'm not interested in trading quality for speed, but I did grow up around the body shop at a Ford dealer and have a sense of the pace and activity that surrounds the repair process with an auto (or at least how things went 20 years ago). Let's just say that the average vehicle was subject to a lot of "hurry up and wait" when undergoing repair, for a number of reasons. My starting assumption is that RV collision repair moves in the same way, so at the very least I should know what to expect.

& with that the real sales job begins: convincing my wife that tent camping at the state parks we have reserved will be just as fun as our Jayco.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

IF the safety, strength, or weather integrity has not been compromised, could the exterior body be patched temporarily - Eternabond tape? - and replace the broken tail light? Then you could enjoy your upcoming trips and have the trailer repaired properly this winter.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideinWA View Post
glsimms, thanks for the perspective. I'm not interested in trading quality for speed, but I did grow up around the body shop at a Ford dealer and have a sense of the pace and activity that surrounds the repair process with an auto (or at least how things went 20 years ago). Let's just say that the average vehicle was subject to a lot of "hurry up and wait" when undergoing repair, for a number of reasons. My starting assumption is that RV collision repair moves in the same way, so at the very least I should know what to expect.

& with that the real sales job begins: convincing my wife that tent camping at the state parks we have reserved will be just as fun as our Jayco.
Rolltide....

I can certainly respect your experience with the auto repair business, but somehow I think RV's and autos are 2 different animals???
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Why wouldn't the driver's insurance also cover the cost of a rental for your trips? That's what I'd be asking for...
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #9

I'm still waiting to get information about the other vehicle so I can determine if the other driver even had insurance, he was in such a hurry he decided not to stop after the accident. However, a nice officer helped him remember just a few minutes later.

Assuming the other driver has insurance, we could go the rental route for our upcoming trips. Although for a quick weekend that's an awful lot of gear to move around. If we get complete & quality repair plus compensation for diminished value I'll feel like we're whole.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #10

Let us know if you get that "Diminished Value" comp. That is very hard to get, it's so subjective to an adjuster, especially in an RV that depreciates so quickly.

We got rear ended in out car a while back, serveral thousand in damage, couldnt get diminished value comp. I argued that the car will be worth less forever due to services like car fax...it didn't seem to matter.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #11

Maybe I've been spoiled by keeping all my insurance business with USAA. During the claims process from a previous accident my adjuster actually asked if I 'thought' my vehicle would have diminished value at resale. And sure enough, I received a check as compensation directly from USAA. They were handling both sides of that accident.

After one call to Progressive today to discuss the claim I'm already noticing a difference in claims customer service. it's not bad, it's just not USAA.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

A little duck tape and you should be good to go for the summer. Have the repair done after camping is over. I would really check into whoever does the repair as to their fiberglass repair experience. .You might have to go to a autobody shop that does work on Corvetts. Your Jayco dealer could do the interior work. You can always get an estimate for both jobs .Just my $.02 Larry
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #13

rolltideinwa--You might get away with an inexpensive fiberglass repair job if your dealer can find another trim pce from another Jayco that might fit & cover up the booboo. Just a thought. Larry
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #14

rolltideinwa--You might ne able to get an inexpensive fiberglass repair job if tou dealer can find a bottom trim piece from another Jayco TT that will fit & cover the boo boo Just a thought Larry
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideinWA View Post
I'm still waiting to get information about the other vehicle so I can determine if the other driver even had insurance, he was in such a hurry he decided not to stop after the accident. However, a nice officer helped him remember just a few minutes later.
Since it was a 'hit-n-split' I'd expect the other "driver" wasn't insured. I read a comment recently (can't remember where), "Apparently stupidity can be licensed".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Since it was a 'hit-n-split' I'd expect the other "driver" wasn't insured. I read a comment recently (can't remember where), "Apparently stupidity can be licensed".
Good news for me: I received the final accident report and it appears that the other driver has an insurance policy in effect, and it's with Farmer's (which I assume is good news).
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #17

That's excellent news!
Let us know how this plays out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Rolltidein WA-- The trim pces I was referring to are found on the 2010 19h ( probable others also)and look like they will cover your boo boo if the repair job does not look good. Larry
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Rolltidein WA-- The trim pces I was referring to are found on the 2010 19h ( probable others also)and look like they will cover your boo boo if the repair job does not look good. Larry

Thanks Larry.

I just got the repair estimate: $6700. The work involves removing and replacing the entire rear panel & rebuilding the cabinet under the bunk. Overall the work will take 4 weeks with part order/delivery etc... The good news is that they're able to patch the fiberglass so we can get in a couple of trips before the repairs start. So, we'll still miss out on some of our plans unless we rent, but the next two weekend trips are still on the books.

Now if we can just get the insurance claims done we'll be in good shape.