Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

17C New to Me: Question#2: The Roof

Okay, so as i said before we just picked up a 2010 17 C last week. Thanks to the forum members here, we solved my first issue. Now, on to question two.....
I climbed up to get a good view of the roof and it is filthy! My question is how do I clean it? What products to clean and seal? And, can I walk on it or do I just try to clean it from the sides as best I can? I would think I need to get on it somehow to check the sealants around A/C, vents, etc....If so, what's the method for doing this? Just climb on or use a piece of luan or something underneath me. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right the FIRST time and not mess something up the FIRST time!!!! Thanks in advance!
mck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #2

Spic & Span and a scrub brush work wonders. As to sealing around the vents etc, buy a roll of ETERNABOND tape and it's once and done.

No need for any type treatment on the roof itself.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Grumpy - Thanks again, you rock! I had done some research online but heard read lots of different approaches. I greatly appreciate your help! Question....can I get on the roof or not???
Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

My son used to climb on his.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

Thats good enough for me! I will try!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Depends....how much do you weigh (that's a rhetorical question BTW!). I'm 180 and don't have any problems getting on the roof. I try to stay around the edges though. BE CAREFUL! It can be slicker than pelican snot up there! I add a little Borax to my soapy wash and scrub with a long-handled soft brush. Rinse and repeat. Then immediately wash the trailer (and awning) as the sides get pretty nasty from all of the chalky crap coming off of the roof. Check all the joints and seams and have some Eternabond tape ready. Just bought a 20 ft roll on Amazon for less than $30.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

penguin149 - I'm around 180 myself and didn't know if it was safe or not...I wasn't gonna go stomping around or anything, just want to be safe and not end up inside, or I guess on the ground outside from the roof! I have been looking for Spic and Span around here and can't find it so I may go with your suggestion of the Borax. Thanks again for the response!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Spic & Span and a scrub brush work wonders. As to sealing around the vents etc, buy a roll of ETERNABOND tape and it's once and done.

No need for any type treatment on the roof itself.
100% this

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

Snake - Thanks for the response! That further makes me feel better about it!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #10

One more question - should I not worry about using any Dicor or anything on any areas that look questionable, or just go over it with Eternabond? I cleaned the roof via just dry brushing the other day which made a huge difference, however, I was a little concerned to do any major scrubbing on the joints as they had a few cracks. So, I wanted to get what I need before going in too deep. If Eternabond is the way to go, I will have to order it....which I don't have a problem doing if that's what I need...I guess I didn't know if I need to re-Dicor first and then eternabond or just Eternabond. Sorry if that sounds dumb but I just wanna be sure. THANKS!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #11

Just ETERNABOND first. I usually go around the edges with a small bead of DICOR when finished. Clean the old DICOR with a little acetone.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #12

10-4, Grumpy!
Thx!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #13

Would I be good to scrub the roof and then apply Dicor as needed since I don't have the Eternabond and then go back in and cover seams with Eternabond when I get it in....or would you just wait to do all at once? I guess I'm just kinda excited and antsy to get stuff done and don't wanna wait....With Eternabond would you seal every joint on the roof? Also, what about the seams around the remaining joints? Do you take them apart and reapply butyl tape underneath or what's the process? Again, I'm just trying to do it right the first time...thanks to everyone in advance!