Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

17Z cupboard hinges

So we have been out about 6 times in our new 2012 unit, we are very experienced campers, noted that when our new unit was delivered that the internal doors were very stiff, sales person said "normal to stop doors opening and closing when travelling" however 6 of our hinges have pulled out the retaining screws which have stripped the wood.... fortunatly we are under warranty but what I did do was put some "joog-a loo" on the hinges, now the remaining hinges work normally... has anyone experienced "hinge issues".....

John
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #2

I had a couple of hinges get loose.I replaced the screws with one about a half inch longer and
that solved the problem.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepotts View Post
So we have been out about 6 times in our new 2012 unit, we are very experienced campers, noted that when our new unit was delivered that the internal doors were very stiff, sales person said "normal to stop doors opening and closing when travelling" however 6 of our hinges have pulled out the retaining screws which have stripped the wood.... fortunatly we are under warranty but what I did do was put some "joog-a loo" on the hinges, now the remaining hinges work normally... has anyone experienced "hinge issues".....

John
None whatsoever. And the salesman is full of you-know-what. The only means of counteracting the effects of vehicular motion is the door catches. These jokers never cease to amaze me.

I hope the dealer manages to see sense and repair the damage.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4

I also had to change most of the screws on the cabinets with longer ones. Cabinet doors are very stiff. The new screws are holding well.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

I never had a problem with my cabinet doors. Make sure Jayco knows about the problem. If they don't know (because you fixed it yourself) they can't "fix" the problem at the factory.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Our issue on our slx184 was not the hinges but the door latches. They were so tight you practically pulled your arm out of the socket trying to open them. I just took a pair of pliers and crimped the male end down a bit and now all doors work free and easy.......happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

I had the exact same problem in my x17z. I took them off, put a little oil on, and let them sit for a couple of hours. It loosened them right up and re installed with longer screws. Did quite a number on the wood underneath gouging them quite a bit.
Kaidzord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Never had any problems such as that.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Our new x17c had very stiff hinges. On a couple the screws became loose. I picked up replacements at the hardware store and put in longer screws. New hinges work fine. When the bad hinges were off i could barely open and close the hinge. Seems there was a bad batch put in.
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote