Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

19h is being serviced and I'm worried!!

So I took my 19h to be serviced under warranty. The laminate in my bathroom sink and the laminate on my kitchen counter is starting to lift. Much worse in the bathroom as the pic indicates. The service guy says that Jayco is shipping new counters to the dealership and when they arrive, they will install themselves. My question is can they replicate the same work in installing the counters that Jayco can?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	14715
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

I wouldn't sweat it
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

As long as they are installing the same product it should not be an issue.
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clossan1 View Post
So I took my 19h to be serviced under warranty. The laminate in my bathroom sink and the laminate on my kitchen counter is starting to lift. Much worse in the bathroom as the pic indicates. The service guy says that Jayco is shipping new counters to the dealership and when they arrive, they will install themselves. My question is can they replicate the same work in installing the counters that Jayco can?

Attachment 14715
What was the cause? A water leak somewhere?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Chances are that the techs at your dealers service department have a slightly higher IQ than the knuckleheads that built your trailer in the first place.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #6

Looking at the counters on my new 2015 White Hawk, I can see a potential problem. In places, there is a gap where the edge trim is not flush with the counter top. If water gets in there then it can soak into the pressed wood and delaminate just like yours. My counters look to be identical to yours except for the color. Perhaps I should run a thin bead of clear RTV at that joint. It looks like Jayco did not properly glue the edge trim.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Chances are that the techs at your dealers service department have a slightly higher IQ than the knuckleheads that built your trailer in the first place.
I wouldn't count on it!!! When I bought mine(used ) it took 3 visits back to the dealer before I took it home. It wasn't hard stuff that needed to be done and they had my list and it was only 6 things. The last visit(the 3rd try) was to just replace the screw for the hot water gas/air flow adjustment to the burner. The fact that they said they inspected and tested the water heater makes me more than a little suspicious.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
Looking at the counters on my new 2015 White Hawk, I can see a potential problem. In places, there is a gap where the edge trim is not flush with the counter top. If water gets in there then it can soak into the pressed wood and delaminate just like yours. My counters look to be identical to yours except for the color. Perhaps I should run a thin bead of clear RTV at that joint. It looks like Jayco did not properly glue the edge trim.
Right on. As soon as I seen anything close to looking like a gap I put clear silicon where the molding joined and there where a few places. The moisture will just swell that press board in no time if you don't.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

The laminate used in TT countertops is made by a company in Brazil and distributed by a company in New Jersey called decotonesurfaces. They sell it to a manufacturer called Patrick Industries who manufacture almost all of the countertops and laminated wood for the RV industry. I found this out while matching the laminate of my countertop so I could build an extension. The actual laminate material is about half that thickness of the better brands such as Wilson Art, Formica, and Armstrong. All in all, it's poor quality and very hard to work with. You just look at the stuff and it tries to start splitting.

The countertop material and edge trim is manufactured by the same outfit. The Edge trim is really cheezy. It has a ridge that is press fitted(and possibly glued) in a groove that is cut in the pressed board material. That material is also very poor quality. We scream about poor quality and then cry when we have to pay for the good stuff.. We can't have it both ways.

As long as the stuff is being repaired under warranty, go for it, but when that runs out, I would not spend any money trying to repair the stuff. I would either build my own countertops and do the laminating myself, or have a good cabinet shop do it for you. The cost is going to be relatively the same and you will have a much nicer result.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

I just ran a small bead around the entire periphery of both the bathroom and kitchen counters and ran my finger along it to squeeze it in to any gaps. Even if there is no gap water could seep between the counter and the edge. The edge of mine sticks up just a few thousands of an inch above the counter, so any water will sit there and seep in. I now have a fine bead of clear silicone in there.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

I bought some Corian counter top material and after my next trip I'll be redoing the tops in kitchen and bath. Corian works just like hardwood so don't be afraid of it. Saw it, use a router on the edge,belt sand the corners, drill it. You can buy it raw and you just polish it ( like you polish a car)to the desired finish you like( mat, low gloss, med gloss or high gloss.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #12

Quote:
What is RTV?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I have give a big X2 on that.

I worked in a RV dealer for 3 years and last year bought a new
Eagle TT. I can say with virtual 100% certainty that if your service tech is even half as good as the ones I worked with, the quality of work should be as good or better than the factory.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
What is RTV?
RTV = room temperature vulcanization, i.e. clear silicone sealant
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #15

Got it. I used to use this for adhering my boy's scouting badges to his shirt. Super mom, eh?

Thanks.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, thats exactly what happened!! My kitchen counter was also starting to lift due to a small gap in the right rear corner. It was barely noticeable but it had the potential to lift like my bathroom counter.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ill keep you updated!! Richardsons rv in California is servicing my Jayco.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #18

I bought my TT at Richardsons, was a great experience, hopefully their service dept. is the same caliber. We did our PDI at the service location in Riverside and they were very helpful.
scrawf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #19

Update: I just picked up my Jayco from Richardsons rv in Riverside, Ca. Wow!! The kitchen counter and bathroom counter they replaced look great. It seems as if it was worked on in the Indiana factory. They did an excellent job and I am very pleased with their work. My jayco was under warranty and cost me zero$$$
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #20

Nice to hear. Hope this gives a heads up for others to watch those seams
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote