Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
You are incorrect.
I have a 19H and YES the RCA cables (or A/V audio/video) cables are there. My camper DID NOT come with a TV, but it is wired for one. I supplied a TV and can watch DVD's through the player that is built in to the radio. I think the OP is confusing the A/V cables with coax.

docmarrin, if they are the red, yellow and white, then connect them to your TV and you should be able to watch DVD's through your player on the radio.
I apologize I stand corrected. I do see in photos the cable comes up from in behind the cabinet. I wonder why they never did this with all of them
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I have never seen them in any I was in. Where is the face plate?

That's what happens when you assume you are always correct. I second the notion that the OP was confused about the wire designation in the previous post, that's why I sought to clarify the type of wire used based on an easily identifiable color identifier.

There is no face plate. RCA wires that are run in trailers like this just hang loose with enough slack to plug into the TV. if you look at enough pictures of trailers, you will see them hanging all over the place where TVs are intended to be.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That's what happens when you assume you are always correct.
lol....um ok...I did apologize.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
lol....um ok...I did apologize.

Noted, thank you.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #25

I looked at a couple 19H and they were in them.
The wires are run from the radio, through the ceiling and into & out the top of the wardrobe if I recall.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
You are incorrect.
I have a 19H and YES the RCA cables (or A/V audio/video) cables are there. My camper DID NOT come with a TV, but it is wired for one. I supplied a TV and can watch DVD's through the player that is built in to the radio. I think the OP is confusing the A/V cables with coax.

docmarrin, if they are the red, yellow and white, then connect them to your TV and you should be able to watch DVD's through your player on the radio.
I have always meant the RCA cables and they are red, yellow, and white. I do also see that you can hook up the TV to the coax cable if you have that capability at the campsite. I have a new Vizio 24" smart TV and the RCA component female connectors at the back are (starting from the left): Green (Y/V); Blue (Pb/Cb); Red (Pr/Cr); White (L); and Red (R). To which connector do I insert the various colors of the RCA male connectors as none of them are yellow?
Also, how do I watch TV itself using the antenna and not cable?

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

sorry for the misinformation Docmarrin. When I read you were not able to watch DVD's I assumed all jay Feathers were the same like mine without the hook ups. Unfortunately your new TV does not have the old school hookups of RCA you will need to convert
This is just one example
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite...ds=rca+to+hdmi
Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-HDMI2RCA...ds=rca+to+hdmi

cheaper one
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #29

19H Maiden Voyage

Not entirely certain about the jacks on your tv, but the normal convention is yellow for video, red for right stereo and white for left stereo. You could try plugging the yellow wire into the green female on the TV, plug the white wire into the White (L) and red into the Red (R).

To watch the tv OTR (over the air) you should be able to run a piece of coax from the TV into the wall jack, turn on the booster, (small plunger switch on the 12V wall plate) raise the antenna, point it toward nearest towers (you can use antennaweb.org to get a bearing for your area). Choose the "air" input on your television and scan for channels.

If your trailer is equipped with a coax jack outside the trailer, on the street side (possibly labeled "cable tv") run a piece of cable from that jack to the CG cable. Inside, turn off the booster, choose input source on your tv "cable" and scan for channels if needed. Sometimes it just shows up without scanning IIRC...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #30

19H Maiden Voyage

I got bored (DW watching Americas Next Top Model, waste of electricity IMHO) so I looked up the manual on your Vizio TV, and the connections go like I said above. Yellow cable to Green (Y/V) plug, red cable to Red (R) and white cable to White (L). That should get you in business!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #31

I second camper bob, I have the same tv as you (Vizio 24"), and plugged the yellow in the green port (that's why it is labeled Y/V Y=yellow) and it works just fine...just make sure you select the component Input on your tv to watch the DVD.
If you want to watch tv from your antenna, plug a coaxial cable in the back of the tv to the plug on the wall...push the booster button on and then go into your tv menu and do a channel scan (don't remember the exact menu but pretty self explanatory). Once the scanning is done, you should see that if channels were available, they were scanned and you should be able to watch the tv by changing your tv input to over the air antenna...
Feather17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #32

I will give a 3rd second to what camperbob said regarding the cables. I just hooked a TV up for my dad that had the green connector instead of yellow. Plugged the yellow cable in to the green connector and all worked fine.
camperbob & Feather has already explained the antennae function quite well, I won't repeat it again.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather17z View Post
I second camper bob, I have the same tv as you (Vizio 24"), and plugged the yellow in the green port (that's why it is labeled Y/V Y=yellow) and it works just fine...just make sure you select the component Input on your tv to watch the DVD.
If you want to watch tv from your antenna, plug a coaxial cable in the back of the tv to the plug on the wall...push the booster button on and then go into your tv menu and do a channel scan (don't remember the exact menu but pretty self explanatory). Once the scanning is done, you should see that if channels were available, they were scanned and you should be able to watch the tv by changing your tv input to over the air antenna...
Thanks everyone for your great inputs. This is a great forum for us Jayco owners. One last question on plugging in the cables for the DVD. Do you plug in the audio cables (white and red) to the ones just to the right of the green port or to the ones at the far right? I know that I am being rather anal here but I don't have my trailer with me right now and want to be fully ready to set up the TV next week when we take our next trip (California, here we come to the Chula Vista RV Resort on San Diego Bay!).

Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarrin View Post
Thanks everyone for your great inputs. This is a great forum for us Jayco owners. One last question on plugging in the cables for the DVD. Do you plug in the audio cables (white and red) to the ones just to the right of the green port or to the ones at the far right? I know that I am being rather anal here but I don't have my trailer with me right now and want to be fully ready to set up the TV next week when we take our next trip (California, here we come to the Chula Vista RV Resort on San Diego Bay!).

Far right

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #35

Aside from the fact that you needed a little help on the TV . . .

Congratulations on your first trip! We decided to have the TV factory installed because we are two steps below a box of rocks when it comes to being handy. If it weren't for Camper Bob; Allamuchy; Rustic Eagle; Nhybrid; and a host of others, we would have given up several months back. This forum and its "people" rock!

We are in SoCal and will be heading to the river and maybe further into AZ but we are still waiting for delivery of our TT and then we need some practice before heading out to anything farther than the closest WalMart

Enjoy your x19h and let us know what you like best about it (so far).

Safe travel.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... want to be fully ready to set up the TV next week when we take our next trip (California, here we come to the Chula Vista RV Resort on San Diego Bay!).
Chula Vista RV Resort is a very nice park..., did an extended stay there a few years ago and had a nice perimeter site with a view of the Bay.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Aside from the fact that you needed a little help on the TV . . .

Congratulations on your first trip! We decided to have the TV factory installed because we are two steps below a box of rocks when it comes to being handy. If it weren't for Camper Bob; Allamuchy; Rustic Eagle; Nhybrid; and a host of others, we would have given up several months back. This forum and its "people" rock!

We are in SoCal and will be heading to the river and maybe further into AZ but we are still waiting for delivery of our TT and then we need some practice before heading out to anything farther than the closest WalMart

Enjoy your x19h and let us know what you like best about it (so far).

Safe travel.
Thanks for your kind words; and you are right, this forum "rocks!" We love the fact that the 19H is light and easy to pull; yet, when the ends are opened, it is about a 30 ft. trailer. We have added memory foam toppers to both beds and they are very comfortable. The refrigerator is very efficient and a good size. The fact that it has a small "closet" is also a big plus. About the only item of concern is the fact that the shower ends up leaking because of the design of the curtain mechanism. Its workable, but we will seek out a way to make it so that does not happen. Any ideas?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Chula Vista RV Resort is a very nice park..., did an extended stay there a few years ago and had a nice perimeter site with a view of the Bay.

Bob
Yes it is a very nice Park. Because our daughter and our new grand daughter live in Chula Vista, we have been there many times, but always without our trailer. We will be spending about three weeks there beginning next Monday and will get our grandma and papa fix!!! We can only hope to get a nice perimeter site with that great view.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words; and you are right, this forum "rocks!" We love the fact that the 19H is light and easy to pull; yet, when the ends are opened, it is about a 30 ft. trailer. We have added memory foam toppers to both beds and they are very comfortable. The refrigerator is very efficient and a good size. The fact that it has a small "closet" is also a big plus. About the only item of concern is the fact that the shower ends up leaking because of the design of the curtain mechanism. Its workable, but we will seek out a way to make it so that does not happen. Any ideas?
That all sounds fabulous. The tent ends seem to be the way to go - otherwise you'd be lugging that much more TT down the road. We will have enough challenges learning about RV'ing with the x20e. It is about a foot longer than the x19h.

Regaring the memory foam toppers: Where did you get them; what was the price?, will they roll and stow near the mattress when you close the ends? how thick are they? Lots of questions, but we really want to do this and I couldn't find something on Amazon that looked like it would roll and tuck away. Our bunks are the same size.

Congrats, too on the grand baby. The "bonus round" is the best.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
That all sounds fabulous. The tent ends seem to be the way to go - otherwise you'd be lugging that much more TT down the road. We will have enough challenges learning about RV'ing with the x20e. It is about a foot longer than the x19h.

Regaring the memory foam toppers: Where did you get them; what was the price?, will they roll and stow near the mattress when you close the ends? how thick are they? Lots of questions, but we really want to do this and I couldn't find something on Amazon that looked like it would roll and tuck away. Our bunks are the same size.

Congrats, too on the grand baby. The "bonus round" is the best.
We got a 4" topper at Walmart for about $109. They have thinner ones for much less but I wanted big time comfort. We rolled up the one for the back bunk and it fit on top of the back mattress when closed. This won't work for the front bunk, however, unless you have a thinner topper. Then we just folded up the whole mattress and topper for the front bed and placed it length wise down the center of the TT for travel because we were going out again in a couple of days. I suppose we will roll them and stow them when we eventually store the TT for more than a month and maybe just put them in our garage (for both).