Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

2007 23b newbie :) seeking walk-through pointers

Hello

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I've been a long time tent camper and DH and I have decided to make the switch to a small camper since we have a dog and a 16 month old. Decided on the hybrid for the convenience of size and weight. We also wanted to be able to tow it with our SUV instead of getting a big truck (tow vehicle is a 2008 range rover supercharged). We found a nice 2007 and got a nice deal on it. We'll be picking it up on Saturday. Very excited!

We had a service center do a full inspection and everything came back fine.

Seeking any last minute thoughts on things we should ask about or have the dealership address during our walk through at pickup. Thanks
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Have them demonstrate how to use all the appliances and systems. Find out what all the switches and valves turn on and off.
Have them show you how to hook and unhook the rig to your tow vehicle.

Verify tire pressure before leaving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

Take a pencil and a notebook, and use it.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabalin View Post
Take a pencil and a notebook, and use it.
It may seem dorky, but I'm entertaining the idea of just taping the walk through with my iPhone
Old 08-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

I see you had a service center check over your investment but I just will have to have you look in this one area that they might have overlooked. It's the upper 4 corners at the curve where your tent ends meet the hard sided trailer. This plastic fastening strip has a weak spot where it will split at the radius and allow water to enter at the corners so make sure you look with an eagle eye. Also from the outside to will see a rain gutter just above the tent end that flips down, you must get on a ladder and inspect the screws that hold the gutter in place and make sure they were driven in straight so water cannot enter easily. I say that because jayco did not include a rubber washer with this screw to keep water from entering. This is something you can add when you have time.

While standing in the trailer Remove the white AC cover panel and you will see 4 bolts ( 1 in each corner) that hold the AC unit to the roof, well between the AC unit and the roof is a gasket that keeps the water out and if these 4 bolts are not snugged down " lightly" it will leak and you should check yearly.

In the bathroom check for a soft spot in the floor between the toilet and the tub because people are careless about the shower curtain being tight against the wall.
I don't know if your year 2007 if the TV was mounted on the counter top next to the stove or on the wall with a swivel bracket. If it's on the counter then you might want to call Jayco and ask if there's backing on that wall to mount the TV so you can have more useable counter top space in your kitchen work area. I think in 2008 it was mounted on the wall.

I don't mean to scare you on your fun home away from home and we all have these little problems I just don't want you to have any surprises.
Tunce
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

I'll definitely look into those spots! If it's a problem, are they fixable? (The fastening strip)
Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #7

Yes, well it's a semi fix because the factory does not have an answer for this one and I know this for a fact because I was just there in June for this one. What I did was install a washer with a piece if Mr. Grip on the back of the washer and just tightened it Down. Give me a few minutes to go out n the shop and find that pkg. of Mr.Grip and I'll send a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

This is a strip and you just cut it to the size you need.
Don't forget to get on the roof and check every inch of caulking all the way around for cracking also the base of your radio and TV mast and skylite. The caulk starts to show signs of cracking around the 2nd-3rd year so I know you'll find something.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #9

Great tips! Thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I see you had a service center check over your investment but I just will have to have you look in this one area that they might have overlooked. It's the upper 4 corners at the curve where your tent ends meet the hard sided trailer. This plastic fastening strip has a weak spot where it will split at the radius and allow water to enter at the corners so make sure you look with an eagle eye. Also from the outside to will see a rain gutter just above the tent end that flips down, you must get on a ladder and inspect the screws that hold the gutter in place and make sure they were driven in straight so water cannot enter easily. I say that because jayco did not include a rubber washer with this screw to keep water from entering. This is something you can add when you have time.

While standing in the trailer Remove the white AC cover panel and you will see 4 bolts ( 1 in each corner) that hold the AC unit to the roof, well between the AC unit and the roof is a gasket that keeps the water out and if these 4 bolts are not snugged down " lightly" it will leak and you should check yearly.

In the bathroom check for a soft spot in the floor between the toilet and the tub because people are careless about the shower curtain being tight against the wall.
I don't know if your year 2007 if the TV was mounted on the counter top next to the stove or on the wall with a swivel bracket. If it's on the counter then you might want to call Jayco and ask if there's backing on that wall to mount the TV so you can have more useable counter top space in your kitchen work area. I think in 2008 it was mounted on the wall.

I don't mean to scare you on your fun home away from home and we all have these little problems I just don't want you to have any surprises.
Tunce
This is great advice. I discovered some time after we bought our trailer that our roof-mounted AC was BARELY screwed in at the factory. You may be able to see this without removing the cowl from the ceiling.

The tenting comment is also spot on in our experience. We've had two tents replaced under warranty due to the plastic bead splitting around several screw heads, and as the vinyl has shrunk over time we ended up with daylight and holes to the outside appearing around the corners. this is caused by the factory (or dealership) driving the screws in too tightly, but I believe they should probably be using some sort of channel piece or washer to spread out the force a little more. They actually do this along the sides of the tenting, but not the top.

I'll add that we had issues with the cabinetry inside on the front baggage compartment. This is just held in by staples but the panel was loose when we took possession of ours.

We bought new.
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #11

We purchase a used 2008 23B 2 years ago after a pop up prior. Don't get too worried about the walk through. There is so much great info here, youtube, etc. You can get answers and ideas easily. Pay closest attention to winterizing! One thought, get a memory foam mattress topper!! Your body will appreciate it. Enjoy.
jschimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

Looks like you got good advice. We had a 23b for 6 years and loved it.

Check out Popup Gizmos for great tent-end covers. They protect the canvas, keep you cooler in the heat, warmer in the cold, and look a lot better than tarps.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the tips!! Walk through/orientation went VERY well!! Everything is in great working order for the most part. The only issue was it showed the black tank being 1/3 full when it should be empty. He explained the ice cube trick and said if that doesn't resolve the issue, call them back and they'll deal with it. Fingers crossed that's all it is.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #14

We have a 2004 X23b...The black tank always show 2/3 full....no one has been able to solve the mystery of the black tank sensors yet, so don't be surprised if it never becomes accurate.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
We have a 2004 X23b...The black tank always show 2/3 full....no one has been able to solve the mystery of the black tank sensors yet, so don't be surprised if it never becomes accurate.
Hm! That's interesting... I hope that's not the case for us! How do you deal with it?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #16

Use your phone. We did and you'd be surprised how much you refer to it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Hm! That's interesting... I hope that's not the case for us! How do you deal with it?

In alot of cases, something is on the sensor. Have also heard they can just be bad. In the end (pun intended), monitor the tank. Don't empty too soon and definately not too late!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
Fairly easy. When you flush look down the hole. I like to have the water level fairly close to the top of the tank when I dump, this will allow for good flow to push all that "stuff" down the drain.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Fairly easy. When you flush look down the hole.
Yep...That's all we do. We generally don't camp for more than 3-4 nights at a time, so it's never been full enough to worry about. Plus....when you consider that the fresh water tank is 30 gallons and your black tank capacity is 30 gallons, plus you use about half your water to the grey tank, you don't really fill up the black tank if you're dumping between trips.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote